Diablo IV - A Return To Darkness

I found that gameplay trailer to be completely underwhelming. You guys did Diablo 3 seven years ago, looks like you haven’t done much of anything since then.

Can’t imagine it launching on PS4 and Xbone after next gen launches next November-ish, so I would assume some time before that. Seems soon, but they like summer launches for Diablo.

Or I guess they could be waiting to announce next gen versions for the first parties to officially announce release dates.

And it was a pale imitation of Diablo II

Trailer didn’t do much for me, but on the other hand, D3’s problems in my book were mainly on the overall structural level rather than the moment-to-moment stuff.

I’m bored with the whole “figure out or copy an optimal build and then use the same set of skills for dozens of hours through the entire story” approach. I’d love to see a return to the roguelike roots and take inspiration from modern indie roguelites like Dead Cells – offer a mode where you have some some sort of meta-progression, but each character has a partially randomized skills and permadeath.

Agree.

I have no idea what’s left in terms of talent at Blizzard. The declines of Bioware and Bethesda into garbage devs make me temper my expectations from Blizzard, as well. From that trailer, all I saw was PvP (meh), gender-locked classes (meh) and a game that looks a lot like one I already have, D3.

CGI-trailer: 9 minutes.
Gameplay-trailer: 3 minutes.

I can almost guarantee they won’t return to gender-locked classes. This is just so they can parcel out “Now exclusively revealing the female druid!” news cycles.

Any info on the auction house yet?

Ok but it’s gonna be an isometric ARPG (anything else will arouse the ire of fans). Is it really gonna look that different from what preceded it, or for that matter from Path of Exile or Grim Dawn or whatever? The 2D-3D jump already happened, so what’s left?

I really don’t think it’s so terrible to have another good game that looks similar to the one that preceded it.

Not that I intend to buy this anyway, but.

I doubt they’ll make that mistake again. I’d guess they’ll monetize the Seasons via Battle Passes and have MTX offerings for mounts, transmogs, and other cosmetics.

what does this mean

or rather, if I have console version of D3 with expansion, is this it

It is it, and more.

If D3 were upgrading into PoE or Grim Dawn, they could show a thin slice that shows off the Support Gem mechanic. Or if going a Grim Dawnish route, showing how a Sorceress just combined with a Barbarian and is now swinging flaming axes around everywhere. Details wouldn’t be there, but it’d be teasing new ideas and new concepts.

This was just Diablo 3 with sharper resolution. It may as well have been a new Necromancer-ish DLC for Diablo 3 featuring the Druid. It doesn’t look like there’s mounted combat and I don’t see how climbing very specific ledges really adds anything that Teleport, leap slam, etc weren’t already accomplishing.

This honestly just looks like a minor update to Diablo 3. Maybe there’s more to it but that’s all they showed in the video. If someone can’t just get enough Diablo 3 that’s fine, but it’s why I found it underwhelming. Seven years later and I don’t really see anything new or exciting, just retreading the same ground in the same way again. As a trailer, it failed to deliver for me.

I am only interested in any new, meaningful game-play mechanics. Other than that, I really could care less about this.

Diablo 3 with the Reaper of Souls expansion. Console D3 has the RoS systems yep.

I’m totally down with more acts tacked on to Diablo 3, so if that’s what D4 is I’m cool with it. But I’m sure they have more ambition than that.

I get what you’re saying but Diablo 3’s core combat is already best-in-class for the genre so I don’t think there’s really much in an all combat, no UI video they can really show that’s going to make it look better. The first gameplay reveal doesn’t seem like the appropriate time to get into whether character building/itemization is better this time and I think they opted for emphasizing the art being closer to the D2 style.

Update the OP with more info/notes.

On a stream happening now it looks a lot less stiff than the trailer, and character creation did show male/female variants for the Barbarian.

Talents/Skills confirmed.

A look at the interface:

Knowing Blizzard this isn’t what it will look like by launch, but I think it looks like a good start for sure.

Looks Diablowey to me!

Sure, but I think it’s a good time to show people what’s new in the Diablo franchise and they didn’t do any of that. I mean, they tried with mounts and ledges but that’s all they had to show in the video. I’m not expecting in-depth breakdowns or anything but I would expect a hint or two of new things to get excited about. MTX delivery systems and ledges are not it for me.

Not saying the game is going to be a POS or anything, just saying why the gameplay trailer fell completely flat for me.

What have other isometric ARPGs like PoE and Grim Dawn added to core gameplay mechanics? There have been minor QoL improvements and neat stuff like PoE’s potions, but the actual way you play the game is you click to move around and attack monsters. The last real innovation was really Diablo 3 on consoles with direct movement as opposed to click to move. And I know other console ARPGs did that before like Baldur’s Gate.