Diablo on the PC, 1996-2017, beloved videogame cherished by millions, R.I.P.

That’s some teasing with the title there. I thought this was an announcement that D3 would be the last game in the series, but no it’s a sales pitch for PS4. Hah. Yeah no that won’t get me to buy a PS4, but I am still ready to pull the trigger on it later. My sister seems to think Red Dead 2 will be it.

I think the main issue with PC controller support is they’d have to figure out how to support co-op players using different control methods together. The PS4 version is paced differently, and has lower enemy counts than the PC version to account for the controller.

So you’d either have a controller player joining a mouse/keyboard game and being swamped, or a mouse/keyboard player joining a controller game and being bored. Or you’d have the PC player base segregated by control method.

What? Citation needed! It never occurred to me to compare the two but it also never occurred to me that the PS4 version was any less frantic.

-Tom

This was a few years back (Nov 2013)! Maybe it’s different now…

“We’ve also lowered a little bit the number of enemies who attack you at once. You still have just as many on screen… it’s so you don’t get overwhelmed”

So same count, just fewer actually attacking you. I guess they could make more enemies attack mouse/keyboard players!

That makes more sense. Also, here’s the rest of the quote where you can clearly see the Blizzard dev is trying to cheerleader the PS4 version rather than downplay it compared to the PC:

The rhythm on PC is tactactactactactac - you’re clicking the mouse, you’re telling your character where to go. On console, the rhythm is very different. It flows more, because you’re constantly repositioning your character with the thumbstick; you’re really never stationary on console, whereas on PC you’re a lot more stationary… When you’re playing on the PC, you’re not really looking at your character as much, you’re kind of focusing on the cursor. Whereas on console it’s the exact opposite, you’re drawn in.

Adding the evade… means that you’re once again, even more repositioning yourself. It’s added a new dimension to the game - the game is more dynamic. And it feels in some ways it’s faster - in no small part because the camera’s in closer. Your character’s bigger on screen, the enemies are bigger on screen, when you’re surrounded by enemies the threat level feels higher. So it has translated really, really nicely to console, there’s a wonderful sort of rejuvenation of the game in that environment.

You heard it from the source, so it’s official! The PS4 version is “more dynamic”! “Rejuvenated”! “Get drawn in instead of focusing on the cursor”! :)

I actually don’t mean to minimize either version and I think they’re both great. Nesrie’s right that I’m just doing a little light trolling. But I personally got attached to the PS4 version mainly for the local multiplayer, and I’ve come to prefer the controls. If there’s one thing Blizzard does well, it’s get you invested.

-Tom

It is excellent on PS4 and I do wish that version was available on PC, because I love using the controller wherever I can these days. But I love the high res, high refresh, browser alt-tabbery, aaand most of my collectables/rewards are on PC so I’m torn!

Season 10 journey tracker is up btw:
http://d3resource.com/journey/

They should backport PS4 version to PC and let both be separate, PS4PC players could play with PS4 players while PC mouse players would stay separate. I would actually prefer to play Diablo with a controller - played Dungeon Siege 3 on PC that way and it was a lot of fun - but I don’t have a PS4 quite yet. And eventhough I spent hundreds hours playing Diablo 1 and 2 with mouse, I have no desire to play games in my office chair anymore when I have a perfectly working couch, plasma and a controller.

I love the idea of playing more Diablo 3 on my PS4 Pro and my big TV, to be honest, but I don’t relish the idea of putting more time into Diablo III - between this last season and since the game was in beta I have over 300 hours into the game, and I love it to pieces, but the last time I played (just a few months ago) I thought would be the last time until the Necromancer was added.

But the Ultimate edition is only thirty bucks, so I’m sure to bite at some point.

The console version of Diablo III is the superior version.

hehe :) Good one.

It looks like this when not in Paradox mode, depending on your configuration.

I wanted to try D3 with a controller, but do not want to buy it twice just so I can play it on my Destiny-station4.

I guess the console version also has less enemies and different abilities? Seeing as you do not have a “aim” for some of the abilities it is an entirely different game I would think.

Good on them to introduce seasons etc for the consoles though. Nice that they still develop things for it, you’d think that the income for the game has tapered off; would be nice with a new expansion.

I’m a die-hard PC gamer that finds gamepads awkward most of the time, but they are far and away the better control scheme for this sort of game.

I realize sarcasm doesn’t translate well online, or maybe this was meant to be taken at face value, but I wanted to chime in and say thanks for the laugh either way.

Threads like this bring back fond memories of the last 30 years of platform wars with both sides making “objective” proclamations like this as if it settled something.

Not kidding, I laughed out loud from a flash of nostalgia.

It really is the superior version, though. :) While there will always be some dissenting opinions, it seems to be the opinion of the vast majority.

If it were a twin-stick shooter, I’d agree, but it isn’t. And this is only relevant to me, but there’d be no way for me to avoid pressing buttons constantly with my right hand, as I can on PC (wrist/hand issues).

Bind a movement key noob. /snark.

Fake news :)

Lol.

Diablo has been dead since D3’s release. Long live Path of Exile and Grim Dawn.

That looks really cool (okay, it doesn’t look cool, but a fun bit of number explosions). Is this legit to actually use?

I love your April Fool columns, Tom.

No and yes, respectively. See above:

-Tom