Diablo, Warcraft, Warcraft 2 coming to GOG

I know that.

I’m tempted to snag Diablo for $10 just so I don’t have to fiddle with my old CD (DVD?), assuming I can even find it.

However, I read that “enhanced” editions are the way so maybe it’s best to wait… I’m not exactly keen on what the enhanced editions offer other than Windows 10 support. ANybody know?

Edit: Bought it and it does indeed include the higher resolution version.

It’ll scale up to high resolutions too, hopefully in fullscreen windowed mode.

For sure. What was available was randomized, but it wasn’t particularly special or anything beyond what you could acquire. Looting in general was much simpler than it was in subsequent games in the series - fewer types of item enhancements, all with a clear progression, no socketed items, etc.

IIRC there were just white (normal), blue (magic, one or both of prefix and suffix), and unique items in D1. No rares. Did uniques even have ranges for their properties or was one Butcher’s Cleaver identical to another?

What a great game, though. I maintain that creating an atmosphere and a feeling for your game is more important than anything else, and Diablo (and Blizzard in general) is the absolute best at that.

It’s so refreshing to see someone else agree with this sentiment. I tried to say that back in the day, but I was met mostly with “no, it’s the same game as Rogue” in my corner of the internet.

Oh I’ve known plenty of those myself. I’m related to a few! Joyless fucksticks, the lot of them. And I say that as someone who luuuuuurves all things Rogue and roguelike.

I’m wondering this too. While I’m happy to see Diablo return, I’m most interested in replaying Warcraft and WC2. I’ve been waiting for these to come back around forever.

It’s right here.

Ah, here’s the relevant part:

Q: Are other classic Blizzard games coming to GOG.COM?
A: Yes! We have announced that we’re partnering with GOG.COM to release Warcraft: Orcs and Humans and Warcraft II. We’ll reveal more information at a later date.

At a later date… sigh.

I’ve played this for about 15 to 20 minutes and was wondering if there is a hotkey that highlights the treasure the monsters drop? The color scheme is very dark for my old eye’s and I have trouble seeing the drops and monsters for that matter.

It wasn’t left alt?

I don’t know, that’s why I asked. ;)

I think in original Diablo you only had hover-over to highlight loot.

In that article about Hellfire posted in the GoG thread, they said they added a search spell that would highlight all the items on the ground, making them much easier to pick up. So if that article was on point, it sounds like there was no easy way to highlight stuff in the original Diablo.

Sorry. I could have phrased that better. :)

Installing now. I’m really sad to see that it comes only with a manual and wallpaper under “Goodies and Extras”.

What else do you think should have come with it?

I find Diablo 1 hard to play due to a major innovation introduced in Diablo 2-- you need to click once for every attack. It’s carpal-tunnel inducing. Other than that it holds up as a simple ARPG.

That and there doesn’t seem to be a way to easily swap weapons. What were those primitives thinking back in 1996.