Diamond Semiconductors no longer a geek's wet dream?

I hope this isn’t a repost.

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.09/diamond.html

The impact of could range from “oh neato” to “fuck yeah.”

I’m hoping it results in both of the following scenarios:

1. The destruction of the De Beers cartel.
  2. The creation of the AMD Diathlon.

Discuss.

We were discussing it earlier in the #planetcrap irc channel. The general consensus reached is the same. Hopefully, this puts paid to the murdering thieves at DeBeers, and hopefully, the inventors don’t get killed by any of the mercenaries DB keeps on retainer. A bullet in the head is forever.

I couldn’t have put it better myself.

I dunno about you guys, but I won’t even marry a girl who has a actual desire for the diamond itself. Sadly, too many do. I want a woman who will say, “Cubic zirconia? How thoughtful of you! The africans who weren’t killed in the process of obtaining the diamonds are thankful.”

Shall we begin the pool upon whether or not I’ll ever find that girl? ;)

As soon as you land your next girlfriend, accidently pop in a video of the daily going-on’s in Nigeria into the VCR. When she asks why those children were killed, you can tell her why, and trace the story all the way back to diamonds.

I wonder if it would actually work.

They’ve been growing diamonds for industrial use for a while. Natural diamonds are more valuable, as they say, for their flaws. So who knows how this will effect the market. De Beers has a strangle hold on the world market, they keep diamond prices artificially high alreay. Making them cost effective for use in semiconductors is nifty, though.

I suspect, however, that natural diamonds will remain more valuable, if only because they cost more. I know that’s stupid, but people pay a price premium for milk that comes from cows who aren’t injected with growth hormones, despite the fact that there’s not detectable difference between it and milk that comes from cows who are.

As soon as you land your next girlfriend, accidently pop in a video of the daily going-on’s in Nigeria into the VCR. When she asks why those children were killed, you can tell her why, and trace the story all the way back to diamonds.

I wonder if it would actually work.

We’ll know within the next 8 months.

I usually land a girlfriend for a brief period every 1 to 2 years, and next May will be the 2 year mark. Here’s hoping.

Now I need to start preparing my speech.

“You see honey, diamonds are actually worth as much as rocks. Probably less than rocks, because diamonds are pretty fucking abundant.”

2 hours later…

“And that’s why all those people have died, lives have been ruined, and the fatcats at De Beers continue to smile and giggle on their way to the banks.”

That’s yet to be conclusively proven.

I have a theory of why the 15-year olds I see today are far more buxom than those I grew up with a mere…6 years ago?

It involves growth hormones and the dairy industry.

This, however, is a conspiracy I wouldn’t want to die. And waste all that eye candy? ;)

Well, you just let me know when someone actually finds something, cause right now it’s just people assuming with no evidence whatsoever.

Agreed.

But at least my theory isn’t alarmist, and if true, isn’t exactly a bad thing. ;)

Besides, do you think Big Milk and the Illuminati are going to let you find out about their evil plans to make women’s breasts and asses larger?

Come on man. Be real.

I know some Primary school teachers who are horrified at the age of menstruation of their students. It used to be that just a few 12 year olds would get their periods. Nowadays there are many 10 year olds getting them. Read any old personal development books and they mention the average age as being 16.
I thought most of the finger pointing was directed at the antibiotics and growth hormones used by the meat industry.
(I’d call it Big Meat, but somehow it doesn’t seem appropriate mixed with what I’m talking about.)

Big Red, perhaps?

Lets get this right: you’ve been 2 years without a girlfriend. Of course all the 15 year olds look more buxom to you. I expect even a rusted Ford Pinto up on cinderblocks gives you the horn.

you’ve been 2 years without a girlfriend. Of course all the 15 year olds look more buxom to you.

Well, not to spoil a great zinger, but he’s right: The girls in high school at 15/16/17 (and younger, in jr. high) that my sister-in-law has gone to school with look nothing like the girls I went to high school with just a few years ago. It’s amazing.

The best thing about high school girls: even as I get older, they stay the same age.

RAWR!

www.ageofconsent.com

Read, understand, schtup.

Sweden Rev 01/2001 15 15 15

Um, but there is a difference - the growth hormones show up in the milk.

Umm, no they don’t. Can you prove it?

I don’t normally agree with Jason on anything, but I’m into health and nutrition. Here is a google link for ya, Brad. That’s all the energy I care to put into it.