Did Wumpus get banned?

And with this post, I tie Dr Smart.

1451[/quote]

I think that makes you a doctor now, too.

I am now a top ten poster on q23. Please send me my complimentary T-shirt. I just want to take a moment to thank SpoofyChop, Dan Morris, and Brad Grenz, without whom this achievment would not have been possible.

Thanks guys!

[Rushes back to stage as the music plays]

WAIT, I also have to thank Tyjenks! Thank you Tyjenks!

Wait a minute, are you saying Derek Smart has a Ph.D.?

(Aside) That should be good for another hundred posts…

(Post-aside aside) …oh, wait, Huffman is banned, so I’ll be lucky if that nets more than five posts! Rats!

-Tom

How can anyone call Morris Far Right? 90% of his opinions can be found in The New Republic (which isn’t exactly a Right Wing magazine)*.

*I’m not saying he gets them from there though.

PS: I’m surprised to admit I’m sorry to see Wumpus gone. He was here from the beginning… wasn’t he? This whole board is going to have a different tone now.

I thought Dr was an abreviation for Derek. You’re saying it’s not?

You could start posting pictures of video game babes. That works for some people. Or just start announcing random bannings.

What was it that wumpus and Cookiepants wouldn’t “chill” about?

I just wanted to say that you can now buy cookies that are called Grasshoppers and they taste like Girl Scout mint cookies. I would like to change my handle to Cookiepants in honor of Grasshopper cookies. If I do that will I get Cookiepants’ post count or will I start over at zero?

Please note that I’m being very chill.

I think random bannings would be great. It’d be like virtual dodgeball.

Can I be the far, uh, center.

Tom–

Barring Cleve, any chance that these guys could be reinstated at some point in the future?

Maybe Mark and Tom could alternate banning and unbanning people. There’d be all kinds of strategy as you’d never know how much posting time you actually had and then you could try to time zings so that the other person doesn’t have a chance to issue a clever comeback. They could even get one of those applets like ESPN has for the live game tracking so you can see who’s banned and who isn’t, bans per minute, etc.

Sadly enough, I might look into writing that. Think it would be fun.

Help me out with what happens after a person is banned. Can they no longer read the site, or are they just not allowed to post to the site?

Stop the presses, I’ve got it all figured out!

The issue forcing these bannings (wumpus was the one I’ll miss most, followed closely by Met_K and then Derek) is unplanned growth. You know, like when a suburb is choked by an expanding city and then traffic sucks. Traffic, like in the intro to Office Space.

What we’ve got is Tom and Mark - owners of a web site which fostered a community - maintaining the right to administer said web site in an effort to foster the continued goodness of said community. Where we all run into trouble is in the application of their moderating powers: While Mark/Tom unquestionably own the site, they do not own the community that drives its luscious content.

This scenario is driving Koontz (and many of the rest of us) up the wall. Koontz presented some convincing anti-moderation, pro-disclosure arguments in this thread’s sister thread (http://www.quartertothree.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4718), but he ruined it at the end with an anarchistic conclusion that suggested that a mod-less QT3 would help us all transcend this plane and put us ¾ of the way to nirvana.

We need some serious PhD-level poli-sci analysis here. We can all point to the myriad effects of this unplanned growth, and many of us can think of instances where Mark/Tom’s administration has irked us, but what are we really looking for here? I’m quite glad that Huffman, foofighter, and Blakemore are gone. I’m not at all happy about wumpus, Met_K, or Derek Smart.

Do I get to pick and choose who gets moderated? No, Tom and Mark do. Is this the best possible solution? No, but thus far none of us has proposed a proper democratic government for these forums. Even if one of us did, Tom and Mark wouldn’t want to give it up, they built this place up from nothing, and they’re unlikely to want to hand it over, even if it has outgrown them. Who are we to tell them otherwise?

What I’ve convinced myself of at this point is that these forums are suffering from a few fatal flaws. I’m okay with that. I don’t expect any of us here to come up with a better way to moderate than the current (admittedly imperfect) system, and I don’t expect Tom and Mark to give a shit either way. I enjoy my time here, I miss wumpus, and the world turns.

-note: in the (too many) minutes since I started composing this, the thread has degenerated into lunacy. i suppose that keeps most of us sane for the remainder of the day, but this issue will resurface. i don’t expect it to ever be solved, but for the moment i’m still enjoying myself.

Why “barring Cleve”? Everyone should be punished the same and, if mandated, be given the same second chance.

That’s like states saying stabbing someone to death while screaming racial epithets should be punished more harshly than a run-of-the mill same race murder by stabbing. Its not like one is less dead than the other. Oh wait…

Ty is so banned.

WTF. Becasue we don’t like Cleve, dude.

I bet I can make Ty waste his 4k post on a throwaway zinger. :)