Die Hard: Year One - It's like Looper, but with yippie-ki-yay

Most of the movie will be a 1970’s prequel to Die Hard.

"We’ve never seen the actual love story. We know its demise, but we’ve never seen what it was like when he met Holly, or when he was a beat cop in ‘78 in New York when there was no chance of him making detective. It’s always been something I’ve been thinking about, and now we’re doing it. And it ties in.”

"The reason I say prequel/sequel is because I wasn’t going to do it without Bruce. I’m also not going to do it with Bruce being a cameo bookend gimmick. It’s really working into the plot, with the ‘70s having ramifications on present-day Bruce. It inter-cuts in a very fun, imaginative way with present-day John McClane.”

Directed by Len Wiseman. Bruce Willis is on board for the modern day stuff. No word on who will play the young John McClane, but hopefully we get some really distracting makeup on the actor because God knows the audience can’t give leeway on that stuff.

Er…uh…did we need this?

I imagine if this makes any money then we’ll see a prequel to the prequel…maybe even a prequel of that too. We’ve never seen John’s preschool and kindergarten days either. What led him into a life of law enforcement? Did he rack up a lot of Ouchie reports from the playground? Did he eat his vegetables??

Have we ever needed a Die Hard movie?

Yes, the first one, and the third one, and that’s it really.

To make matters worse, the film won’t even feature Kate Beckinsdale in tight leather these days.

Hans Gruber.

Sometimes I stay up late at night and wonder what happened to John and Holly.

I read in an interview the busting-open-her-shirt-for-cleavage for Holly was intentionally gratuitous. I watched it again over Christmas and after Alan Rickman’s passing and was surprised that I didn’t remember the actress being such a stone cold fox.

I assumed that was a requirement for all Len Wiseman films. Why else would they hire him?

Kate’s his soon to be ex-wife now. I have a feeling she won’t be featured in too many of his upcoming “films”.

Saw this in Mexico a few weeks ago.

I never saw this thread before. Is this movie still getting made?

I straight up love the third one with Jeremy Irons and Nick Fury. I loved the Simon says thing, it was a fun summer movie.

Can’t beat the first one, but it’s a great sequel. Pass on naked Kung Fu guy in the second one.

It turns out this is still a thing, maybe. At least when last reported on in 2018, which is more current than when the thread was started.

So that’s reassuring. The fact that he doesn’t want to start production until they have a script this time. I guess that explains, partially, why the last two movies were so bad.

Yeah, I might even go so far as to say it’s my favorite one. It’s a shame it has a poor ending, but if you pretend that he goes into the telephone booth and calls his wife, and the movie ends there, it’s perfect.

Hmmm, I must not remember the ending. I remember a fight with a helicopter. His wife is not in the third one at all, is she? I don’t remember her.

DHWaV spoilers, obviously, but after they get away from the tanker that blew up and it’s all over and the bad guy got away with it, Zeus gives him a quarter so he can call his wife. John walks over to make the call, and instead of the movie ending there, he sees the pill bottle the bad guy handed him for his headache, and it’s bought from a pharmacy in Canada, and the next scene is that stupid one with the helicopter that you’re remembering. It wasn’t exciting, it was just there to wrap things up so the bad guy doesn’t win, and so that John could say his line.