Digital Boardgaming opinions?

I think a lot of your complaints still hold, but they did include drafting. I’m not as fussed by the other points you raise (AI aside) as when I’m playing digital boardgames I’m generally trying to play as quickly as possible and I ignore the, for want of a better word, cruft. I don’t find the information you need too hard to find in the TM port, though it is usually a click away when it should really be foregrounded.

I haven’t played the physical version and don’t know much about the game, but have been following the digital version’s development. What makes it so appealing to you?

I’ve played 2.7 seasons of the physical game and it keeps me thing ahead to each game. It’s not for everyone but my group lllloooooveeees it.

Must be played with 6 players tho. The automata works well but it’s best full humans

The digital version of Terraforming Mars did get cleaned up a bit. As mentioned, drafting got implemented. It still has problems–the devs prioritized presentation over functionality, which means even at fast speed, you’ll have to sit through the animations before you can do basic things like inspect the board state. But overall, it at least feels like you have some strategic agency. Yes, you’re still subject to the randomness in the deck, but that was true of the tabletop version. And the game makes it annoying to review your history of played cards, but it’s doable.

So yeah, it isn’t the streamlined experience I wanted, but it’s definitely playable in a satisfying way.

I wish they’d add the expansions, though. It’s painful playing without Prelude in particular.

It hadn’t even occurred to me they wouldn’t have added the expansions. Terraforming Mars without Preludes? Ugh.

-Tom

I just got this game for my recent birthday, physicial. What am I missing by not having Prelude?

Preludes gives each player a couple of options to build a company at the beginning of the game. It’s both a jumpstart to your economy, important guidance for those early card drafts, and added personality to your starting situation.

It’s relatively cheap, too. Just a $15 deck of cards:

https://www.amazon.com/Stronghold-Games-SG7202-Terraforming-Prelude/dp/B07F4J9MFZ/

-Tom

Going on the Wish List. Seems silly to buy it now, considering, but the last game night we had, this game was very well liked, as is.

Right? All these sad boardgames in my house, not sure when they’ll ever come down off the shelf again. Well, the non-solitaire ones, at any rate.

Poor Ethos and Castles of Burgundy. And I just got the added Old Ones for Evil High Priest, the expansions for Keyflower, and the two new factions for Root. :(

-Tom

When we get out of this thing, I’m probably going to ask my gaming group how many nights we can tolerate cause I’m filling up those weekends.

Antihero
Star Realms

There is a great little digital game that I cannot remember the name of. It was a card game where you are a lord and played four. You had to fight off each other and the Vikings that would also attack. I remember playing it with a few people on QT3 I Remember playing with @Sonoftgb.

I will see if I still have it on my PC tomorrow.

Prismata might fit this category too but it is two player.

What about Sentinels of the Multiverse? I always played it solo so not sure how it would be multiplayer.

Sagrada is in early access on Steam too.

Was it this?

My gaming group is asking about digital options.

Now… many of the board gaming group members are not tech at all. First step… introduction to Discord. Next step… picking something. Haha. This is exciting though! I might make “gamers” out of them yet.

Yes, it was. I just reinstalled it a couple of weeks ago and realized I had completely forgotten how to play. I need to take the time to re-learn it.

My Friday night group (to be fair, 3 people including me) were still planning on getting together. Well, they were. I wasn’t. One of them works in construction and was still going to head to the other person’s house. I can’t blame him. If I was out in the world I’d probably do it as well.

However, he did agree to do online tonight.

I’d look at some of the stuff which can only be done by PC, but is in the spirit of board games.

Heart of Crown, 100% Orange Juice, Gremlins Inc. off the top of my head.

Huh. The one time I played with preludes I got the feeling that it made a part of the basic cards obsolete (the early game ones with small bonuses) and upped the luck factor because it is a serious boon getting a good prelude/corporation combination.

Speak of the devil. Through the Ages on iOS is at an historic low ($4.99):

Thanks for the heads up. Also on sale for that price on android right now so I snagged it.