Digital Boardgaming opinions?

Fury of Dracula is out today, and, based on the videos I’ve watched this week, is a definite Day-1 purchase for me.

Also Labyrinth-The War On Terror emerges from EA, but as far as I know there is still no reactive AI

No Mac version so I am going to wait for the iPad version.

Just to pile on to how terrible the Root digital verison is, they came out with DLC. Is it the expansion factions? No! It’s bots to play against. Yes, the base game already has AI opponents. But this is the bots that come with the boardgame. One would hope that the AI opponents that come with the game are already at least as good as the simple, flow-chart based bots that come with the physical game. But hey, if you want dumber, different bots, here you go. It’s $6.

No word if they’ve made online play work or not yet.

Oh that’s weird. DLC for competent or maybe not competent AI. Quick, someone call Paradox. I think I know how they can double their DLC approach.

I just finished an asynchronous online game with a couple friends and we had no major issues.

The only part was the very wonky turn notification. It worked at first, then a third into the game it just started sending notifications seemingly at random even when the action wasn’t on me.

One very big design overlook is that in asynchronous games, IT DOES NOT SHOW YOU THE FINAL ROUND. If you check up on a game that has ended, it takes you immediately to the final score screen. No option to watch what actually happened between your last action and the end of the game. If there was, I didn’t see it. What a major fuckup.

Ah, glad to hear it is possible to finish a game. I have 6 turn notifications from Root. I’ve tried “ignoring” them, bit they keep coming back. There doesn’t seem to be any way to permanently delete them. I even uninstalled the game, but they keep popping up.

Same here! I’ve got over 20! I also cannot get rid of them and it’s extremely annoying because it makes it harder to know when I have an actual non-Root glitch notification.

It’s weird because every other aspect of the game but the multiplayer (the whole point) is extremely polished.

And what the heck is with the sudden slew of digital adaptations of games that only work at a table with tons of verbal communication? Game of Thrones, Fury of Dracula. I can’t imagine that working at all without voice communication and the complete absence of internet strangers.

Game of Thrones is basically Diplomacy with extra rules. And people have been playing Diplomacy via online chat for ages. In some ways it’s more interesting, because it’s impossible to tell if your allies are communicating with your enemies.

re: Wingspan

They talked about this one on TMA couple days ago, reminded me to mention in this thread this board game to digital version of Wingspan has been out on steam for a few months now.

Quite a charming little game really.

If you do get it, feel free to add me on Steam. I’m not very good but I do love playing it.

Apparently they’ve released Prelude for Terraforming Mars. Quill18 has been streaming it. Glad to see it’s still getting support.

They patched Blood Rage and now it looks like the multiplayer issues are back. We had a game hang on us last night.

Humble Bundle has a great digital board game deal going:

I’ve already got all the games on there I’m interested in, but it is a relatively cheap way of picking up the TTR expansions, I suppose. Not really tempted though.

How is the online play on these? And can you do a mix of local/ online play?

i.e. can my wife and I play local on one copy, and my brother and his wife play against us from a different location? Or would we need 4 computers and copies for that?

You can probably do it with the Steam screen sharing thing, whatever that’s called. Otherwise I doubt it.

Pandemic does not have online play.

Ticket to Ride works very well and is cross-platform. I have been playing it for years, even before they added cross-platform play.

I am not a huge fan of Smallword, but it was fun to play online, also cross-platform, didn’t have issues a couple years back.

Splendor is fun, if you like Splendor of course. Cross platform and not issues that I recall.

I have not played Terraforming Mars with anyone yet.

Several of these I own across more than one platform because it’s fun to play on tablets, phones and Steam.

Thanks.

I don’t like Pandemic, so I don’t care if that has online. Terraforming Mars, Small World, and Ticket were what I mostly was interested in. I’ve done TTR on the phone app version, local only, but had no idea how the Steam one worked.

This would be good for family back east. I’ll send them a message.

Terraforming Mars has online, and local, but I don’t think you can mix the two outside of the Steam thing I mentioned.