Digital Camera Questions

Hey there, guys, how are you? I have a question. I’m getting a Canon Powershot A520 for my birthday, and I was wondering what the best kind of memory to use for it? This will be my first ever digital camera, so I’m very new to the realm of using one. I want to get a good sized memory card so I can take plenty of pictures, so what would be good, 256, 512, or more?

Also, and advice y’all can give to a new digital camera owner would be more than welcomed. Thanks!

As big as you can afford. Your included 16Mb card will last 10-15 shots at max resolution, downloading pictures that often sucks hard. My shitty camera maxes out at 1600x1200, and I’ve found that my 128Mb card is usually good enough, but you’ll never say, “Gee, I wish I had less space on my card.”

Gotcha. What would y’all say is the better format to use, MMC or SD? Apparently the camera can use 'em both. I’ve been told SD, but I wanted your opinions. Also, would y’all say normal AA batteries are good to use, or are rechargables better? Thanks in advance!

if you have money to burn, then drop a new set of lithium batteries when the old ones run out. Otherwise, get high capacity NiMH rechargeables and a high quality NiMH charger.

Alkaline batteries are heavy, and I thus don’t like using them in gear that I will be carrying around all day.

Gotcha. Y’all are so helpful. Thanks!

Seems like everyone and their brother got this exact model lately, myself included. I sprung for the 1GB SD card, for no good reason. I’ll never fill it in one trip away from my computer. Well, I guess maybe that’s a good reason.

On the subject of batteries, my dad had been looking around at cameras and accessories for a while, and he pointed me to this guy’s testing of batteries: http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/BATTS/BATTS.HTM

On that recommendation, I opted for this charger and Energizer 2500 mAh batteries. I haven’t used them nearly enough since Christmas to give any assessment of my own on the batteries, other than “they don’t seem to suck.” As a warning, the batteries that come with the Canon itself are horrible and don’t give an accurate reflection of what a regular pair of batteries will provide, rechargable or not.

Definitely check that guy’s article out though, there are some chargers he specifically warns against, I’d at least follow those guidelines if you go the rechargable route.

Hey guys, thanks for the tips on the camera! I got a 256 MB card (using a wal-mart gift card) and Energizer rehcargable batteries with an Energizer charger. These things last FOREVER. I’ve been using this thing nearly non-stop for 3 days now and they don’t seem to have worn down yet.

I’m still learning how to use it, but you can see some of the results here. Thanks again for all the input.

Oops! Wrong thread.