Digital is "more predictable & cash generative" business

Ah, corporate decks. Giving me Yahoo flashbacks.

Turning videogames into hobbies will make it easier for me to stop playing them in the future. I avoid new hobbies as much as I can because I know I’ll get into them way too much. I already have plenty of them. There’s only so much time in the day.

Video games are my hobby. I’m not going to elevate any one game to its own hobby. My gaming obsessions last weeks, not months or years. With the exception of WoW, which makes me a small part of the problem.

I think I’m going to dislike the new loot-box based gaming economy.

Look, guys, I love ya and all that, but we’re not the audience for this doc. It’s corporate-speak that’s telling investors what their plan is for keeping AAA budget games profitable. None of this is going to tell you the first thing about whether the games they make are worth your time to play. And if they aren’t, nothing will help them. Besides, there will always be hungry indie developers out there making cool stuff. Not everyone wants to build a long-tail perpetual licensed loot boxed “hobby”.

Well sure but I like AAA production values applied to the increasingly niche things that I find fun so why won’t anyone drop $150m on a game just for meeeeeee?