Digitaljournalist candid shots of the candidates

Because I am known as quiet. Not quite following the logic here.

You are so clueless.

I agree, its not much, but in this day and age, its very rare to see anyone take responsibility for their messes (both literal and figurative). Now, I’m not saying this says anything one way or another about his political character, but it does show that he doesn’t feel cleaning up is “beneath him” or “someone else’s job.”

Nothing pisses me off in this world more than someone who makes a mess in a restaurant or other store and refuses to clean it up saying “Its the waitresses/shopkeepers job, not mine.” Something so small, to me, is very indicative of how bad the sense of entitlement is in this country these days. Everyone’s growing up as bratty spoiled kids and no one wants to do any work anymore. No one wants to sacrifice and get their hands dirty.

It may be arbitrary to you, but for me it does in fact show character and anyone (from sanitation engineer all the way up to Presidential candidate) who does it would get points for me.

The cleaning up after himself seems small, but again, to me it does display a glimpse of the character of the man. He is running from place to place, diner to diner, it’s a blur of appearances. He’s surrounded by people who take care of him, and his mind has to be both weary and filled with what’s next, where am I going from here, what are the talking points of the day, what’s the press going to hit me with in the next few minutes, etc. Yet it appears he instinctively cleans up after himself as he leaves.

A counter-example: I rode to a KC Chiefs/Packers NFL game last year. The guy driving always put on a face of being a “people person.” But I noticed, in the heavy traffic and people waving people in to merge, etc. he never once let someone into his lane of traffic. Never once yielded to help someone out in the crowded traffic. Never even looked to see if he could help someone else going to the game get there a little easier. After a year of working with him, I can see that in his personality - he talks the game, but he never does anything purely for the sake of helping someone out at work unless there’s something in it for him.

To stop and wipe up after himself displays a measure of who he is at his core - someone who didn’t want to leave a mess for someone else to have to take care of. Over-reading a simple act? Probably. But such instinctual acts are perhaps more a picture of a person than the rehearsed speeches, etc.

The Obama picture of worn out soles was my favorite…

Especially juxtaposed to Palin’s $150,000 wardrobe.

I love that picture. I also love that it seems to piss Dirt off that people like it.

The only correct response to Dirt is no response.

If a man does not have to do something, and nobody will say anything if he doesn’t, if nobody expects it, nobody demands it, nobody will know either way. If that thing, no matter how small, is the right thing to do, a good man will do it.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?

He may. But he may also choggle his hot tub, I don’t have to watch.

My favorite was Obama with Michelle asleep on his shoulder on the train. The cleaning up and shoes and other pics were great, but this is like the “quiet time” one. God would I love to have human fucking beings in the White House right now.

That “cleaning up after himself” shot is as much a decision by the photographer as it was the subject. As much as it says about Obama, I wouldn’t hold it against McCain (not that anyone here seems to be.) Callie Shell definitely is capturing the human moments and capturing his personality, whereas Stephen Crowley is aiming more for the presidential moments and the material details of the campaign trail.

Definitely. Obama has never called himself an everyman. He displays it.

Yeah, I did notice that also. The Obama pictures are very much aimed at showing his soft/human side, the McCain shots are targeted at showing the campaign side of things. Would have been nice to see the same type of photos for McCain.

In one of his comments, the Stephen Crowley mentioned that Obama was the easiest candidate to get those solo one-on-one “human” shots. He makes it sound like the difference in focus is because Obama was more available for the “human”-style shots.

One of the McCain shots shows that the press wasn’t allowed the same access after he got the nomination and had to be on the other side of a curtain. I think that alone says a lot, because the July 4 shot of Obama and his family is definitely candid.