Din's Legacy: Din Again

I’m sorry, I don’t have that save anymore. If I run into the map bug again, I’ll pass it along. Thanks for looking into the auto-target thing.

I know this isn’t a bug, but those exploding, repopulating mushrooms are killing me. They totally blocked my way to get to the boss monsters and I’ve died dozens of times trying to get through (no more healing potions) – and the mushroom patch keeps getting denser and denser every time I die. The Nova mutation isn’t helping things by blasting the 'shrooms every time I croak. You have a bit of sadist in you.

Is there a way to give up and abandon the map? I think there was a way to do this in Din’s Curse, but I could be mis-remembering.

Edit: Those propagating, exploding mushrooms have pretty made the map unplayable. So, maybe dial them back a little? They’ve made an utterly impassible patch that has taken up a quarter of the map, and blocking the way I need to go to complete the area.

Just picked this up and having a great time with it. I even completed my first area and succeeded!

I always had a hard time feeling comfortable with some of the previous games, but it is clicking just right this time around so far and I don’t feel quite as overwhelmed.

I think I really like the Mutation system. I am playing around with a healer/weaponmaster hybrid right now.

Version 1.005 is out: patches & changes.

This patch fixes a high level slowdown, makes it much easier to find uprising targets, fixed a couple major DOT issues, and fixes a bunch of smaller issues.

Sure, just use the Play option instead of Resume, pick your character, and then choose new area.

Having a blast with the game this time around! My character is still only level 19, but feels like he is starting to come into his own.

I keep running tiny maps/areas, and loving the variety. Sometimes it is escape the dungeon, and sometimes there are other factions involved and sometimes just to eliminate some enemy threat. The loot balance seems spot on with just the right balance of rare loot to sift through. Even though I only have one character at 19, I have unlocked a crap load of new classes and there are a ton! There seem to be more builds to try than you can ever try and the liberal mutation skill points you get to experiment on getting new skills to try is appreciated. Some mutations just happen and some seem to be linked to what happens to you in game. My guy is claustrophobic because he died due to a cave in, I believe, heh.

Just unlocked greater heal from the healer class and rocking plate/shield/block and using AEs and life leach to mow through stuff. I also got a mutation where I go werewolf at times and not sure whether I want to keep it or not. I cannot use any skills as werewolf, but the damage bonus is amazing and helps me knock down high bosses with it.

I am loving the game and my wife and I have been playing a lot of co-op.

Hey, Steven. That targeting problem is gone. Thanks.

Version 1.006 is out: patches & changes.

This patch adds a No rival clans world option, increases crafting item drops, and fixes a bunch of smaller issues.

Version 1.007 is out: patches & changes.

This patch adds textures/models for 2 mutations, fixes players getting stunned too long, and fixes a bunch of smaller issues.

Thank you!

I would also consider a change to curse? Some maps that include a lot of creatures that curse can be quite annoying. There may be a mechanic or counter I am missing, but like most people, we probably wear the best gear we can get and the main limiting factor on weapons and armor appears to be stat requirements and I never seem to get far enough above the curve to have points to spare.

With a curse giving you a significant reduction to all stats, this triggers a weapon overload and like 5-6 armor overloads which causes you to move extremely slowly. The game relies on movement and strategic placement at times, and it is just annoying as heck to just about be perma-snared for a level. I also think curse is extremely long, which can be fine. Maybe consider this change? Allow curse to reduce all stats for the case of calculating game stats for your character like Attack, Defense, Damage, etc., but just remove the effect of curse causing stat overloads for equipment? In that case it would have a pretty big negative effect still, but at least wouldn’t drive you nuts moving so slow.

Anyway, just an idea :). Games like this can be fun when you get to do a lot and mow down mobs. Having to use tactics and strategy are great, and the game is loaded with it, I believe, but being peppered with slows and stuns snares can wear on you at times. Hopefully that makes sense. It isn’t all the time and the only time I really notice it and where it bothers me the most is the longer effects of Curse.

Having a great time with the game, though. I just avoid those mobs or grind through them or create a new map if it bothers me to much :).

Version 1.008 is out: patches & changes.

This patch fixes some balance issues, adds resistances to a bunch of monsters, and fixes a bunch of smaller issues.

Version 1.009 is out: patches & changes.

This patch fixes a crash, a couple item issues, and a couple sound issues.

Version 1.011 is out: patches & changes.

This patch fixes a big slowdown on the map screen, fixes some quest item spawn issues, improves targeting, and fixes a few other minor issues.

Din’s Legacy is now available on GOG and is 25% off for the next 2 weeks! - https://www.gog.com/game/dins_legacy

I didn’t want to play too much of Drox Operative 2 before it has a chance to ripen on the Early Access vine, so I remembered I never was able to get far in Din’s Legacy (I had a problem where clicking anywhere on the hotbar would minimize my screen, but it seems to have gone away at some point).

Tried playing coop with a friend via the Host Internet Server | US West option and while it worked, it was quite jittery and a bit laggy. I’m wondering if Direct Connect might be the better approach? Anyone have experience in MP that could comment? @Bluddy, maybe?

I looked up the manual and see this:

Will I need to manually forward these ports if I have a UPnP router? Are those TCP ports or TCP and UPD?

You won’t get better results with direct connect, so don’t bother – it’s always connecting via P2P. DL is very taxing on the CPU, so whichever one of you has the stronger PC should host, and probably disable things like full shadows on their end so the server has as much CPU power available as possible.

Hmmm. I don’t have any performance issues in SP, MP with one person cranks up the CPU usage that much? I had assumed it was a network issue, so that’s really good to know. I’ll go knock around with some settings and try again tonight.

Also, coming from Drox, one thing I really appreciate in the latter is how clean it is. This has nothing to do with the quality of the graphics, but outdoor zones in Legacy are extremely messy and visually cluttered, it’s hard to see. I think the addition of height to the terrain exacerbates this to a degree. Hopefully in the next Din’s game that gets toned down a bit. There’s always a small sigh of relief whenever I enter a dungeon because there’s not so much clutter and I can see better!

Mutations and character building have been super cool though. I like that system a lot.

Turn on your fps display just to be sure. In one of the the option panels, choose to see the development console, then press tilde (~) and type fps 1 and tilde again to close it. Then check your fps when running around the map. If it’s really high, then you’re good, but if it dips below 30, you’re probable going to have issues with hosting the game. To a lesser degree, this also applies to your friend’s machine – if his machine is struggling with the game, it’s going to have a hard time sending over packets in a timely fashion. My desktop has an AMD graphics card, and has a hard time with DL at almost any resolution.

I agree about the clutter. It’s a mix of too many random objects and very noisy textures. My texture mod could help some.

Thanks for the info and the link to the mod. I’ll check that out this evening as well. I’m sure this info is out there somewhere, but in case you have a link or a minute: instructions on installing mods for DL?

EDIT: Nevermind, you have instructions in the linked post. In case anyone comes by this post later:

With shadows turned down a notch (Limited or whatever it is), FPS stayed up around 100fps except for when I would enter a new zone where it’d hitch for a fraction of a second, I’m guessing loading stuff from disk. Turning shadows on max (which is where it was previously) it held steady around 50fps. Multiplayer, however, was very jittery and ran poorly. I’ll have to see what my FPS is when I next play with my friend. His machine is beefier than mine, so I don’t think it’s a slowdown on his end that was causing the problem.

Also, your texture mod seems a lot easier on the eyes. Things just seem a lot less busy and I was able to see what was going on more clearly. Thanks!

OK that’s a lot better than what I get. In any case, sounds like this couldn’t be a reason for issues. You could try an earlier game if your friend has it – one of the Drox games would be a good test of the networking just because they’re so light on resources, and it would let you know if it’s something to do with the Soldak networking or something completely unrelated. Other than that, not much I can help with.

Nice to hear!