Din's Legacy: Din Again

AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

I believe I tried that, but I will try again this weekend.

Version 1.001 is out: patches & changes.

This patch fixes a couple major slowdowns, a few uprising quest problems, and a bunch of smaller issues.

Hey, Steven. I’m noticing some weird hit-box behavior: For example, I’ll be targeting a chest with a pile of rubble behind me and when I swing to destroy the chest (still clearly targeted), I whirl and bang away at the rocks. I’ve played all your games, and this is the first time I’ve seen behavior like this. Also, I had a person in town, Lem the Alchemist (if the name matters), who had an icon above his head indicating he wanted to speak to me and he had nothing to say but stock dialog and the icon remained.

I also have a suggestion on a feature change, and this goes back to maybe even Din’s Curse, but could you eliminate the “Decline” button on quests after they’ve been completed? I almost clicked it recently, and I think, years ago, in Din’s Curse I mistakenly declined a completed quest. Maybe it’s not possible to decline a completed quest and I’m not remembering this right, but leaving the button there is a bit confusing and unnecessary.

I’m guessing that the first issue is the new auto continue combat stuff kicking in. Basically if you are holding down a key/button and your target is destroyed, it will move on to attacking the next target.

The decline button is still there because there are times you might decide to not turn in a quest even though you have completely it, like the target clan is now an enemy.

The NPC thing is definitely a bug that I’ve heard of but have never been able to reproduce.

I still can’t interact with my hotbar, every time I try to click it, it minimizes the game. I did try hiding my taskbar, but somehow when I click down on the hotbar it’s always back. Maybe the mouse movement to the bottom of the screen is confusing Windows and bringing the taskbar back up?

I could work around it by putting the game in a smaller (bordered) window, but I hate playing games that way. :)

Thanks, Steven. I’m sure you’re right, but to clarify, I target the chest and then hold down the “1” key – which is just the typical attack mapping – and then I start attacking the rocks. Maybe it switches targets in a scrum with a mob of monsters; I haven’t noticed if it does. But why would it override the player’s selection?

Is there a way to disable this? I think it also bit me when I was trying to access a gate that butted up against a pathway down into a lower level. It kept selecting the pathway down when I wanted to use the gate. I found that hovering over the name of the gate, rather than the gate artwork itself, then it selected the right item.

Could you try a 1080p resolution just to check if that’s the issue?

I’ll give that a shot when I fire it up next and report back.

Version 1.002 is out: patches & changes.

This patch fixes a crash, makes intelligence & spirit better, makes mutating with other specialties/characters easier, and fixes a bunch of smaller issues.

Version 1.003 is out: patches & changes.

This patch fixes a crash, strength bonus being applied more than once in many cases, several level generation issues, and a bunch of smaller issues.

Ok, that’s something different and unintended. If it had attacked the chest and then after the chest was destroyed moved to attacking the rocks, that’s what I was talking about.

Right. I wouldn’t have a problem with that. Since I made that original posting, I’ve also managed to kill myself by trying to break a chest with a support post right behind me. :-) I targeted the chest, pressed 1 and whirled to whack the post. Bad things happened.

I can’t say that I’ve seen this when fighting monsters, which is entirely a left-click thing. I’m 99% sure that both the 1 key and the left mouse button are just generic attack, although I’ll double-check tonight – just in case it’s a skill bound to one or the other rather than both keys being identical.

While I have your attention, I also posted in your official forums about some weirdness with a map that I ran into: A mis-labeled teleporter (it had a different name in the teleporter list from what it said on the map) and a neighboring map area I could not access (which was also the bad label on the teleporter). It’s a confusing problem to relay.

Since I didn’t receive any acknowledgement on the official forums, I figured either the post was written poorly and/or it’s just some known map weirdness that you’re already working on.

Edit: I double-checked and my left mouse button and the 1 key are identical – both just generic attack.

Version 1.004 is out: patches & changes.

This patch fixes a higher level slowdown, balances a bunch of things better, and fixes a bunch of smaller issues.

If you still have a save game of this, could you email it to me? You can find my email address at Soldak Entertainment | Home

I fixed the pressing the 1 key and attacking the wrong object thing I believe. Fix is in version 1.004.

I’m sorry, I don’t have that save anymore. If I run into the map bug again, I’ll pass it along. Thanks for looking into the auto-target thing.

I know this isn’t a bug, but those exploding, repopulating mushrooms are killing me. They totally blocked my way to get to the boss monsters and I’ve died dozens of times trying to get through (no more healing potions) – and the mushroom patch keeps getting denser and denser every time I die. The Nova mutation isn’t helping things by blasting the 'shrooms every time I croak. You have a bit of sadist in you.

Is there a way to give up and abandon the map? I think there was a way to do this in Din’s Curse, but I could be mis-remembering.

Edit: Those propagating, exploding mushrooms have pretty made the map unplayable. So, maybe dial them back a little? They’ve made an utterly impassible patch that has taken up a quarter of the map, and blocking the way I need to go to complete the area.

Just picked this up and having a great time with it. I even completed my first area and succeeded!

I always had a hard time feeling comfortable with some of the previous games, but it is clicking just right this time around so far and I don’t feel quite as overwhelmed.

I think I really like the Mutation system. I am playing around with a healer/weaponmaster hybrid right now.

Version 1.005 is out: patches & changes.

This patch fixes a high level slowdown, makes it much easier to find uprising targets, fixed a couple major DOT issues, and fixes a bunch of smaller issues.

Sure, just use the Play option instead of Resume, pick your character, and then choose new area.

Having a blast with the game this time around! My character is still only level 19, but feels like he is starting to come into his own.

I keep running tiny maps/areas, and loving the variety. Sometimes it is escape the dungeon, and sometimes there are other factions involved and sometimes just to eliminate some enemy threat. The loot balance seems spot on with just the right balance of rare loot to sift through. Even though I only have one character at 19, I have unlocked a crap load of new classes and there are a ton! There seem to be more builds to try than you can ever try and the liberal mutation skill points you get to experiment on getting new skills to try is appreciated. Some mutations just happen and some seem to be linked to what happens to you in game. My guy is claustrophobic because he died due to a cave in, I believe, heh.

Just unlocked greater heal from the healer class and rocking plate/shield/block and using AEs and life leach to mow through stuff. I also got a mutation where I go werewolf at times and not sure whether I want to keep it or not. I cannot use any skills as werewolf, but the damage bonus is amazing and helps me knock down high bosses with it.

I am loving the game and my wife and I have been playing a lot of co-op.