DiRT 5 - with Troy Baker and Nolan North

Trailer.

Steam Page.

Yes, you read that right. Apparently the career mode features a story this time, with Troy Baker as your mentor and Nolan North as your main rival?

I honestly can’t tell from the trailer if DiRT 5 will still have any point-to-point Rally races, or if they’ve completely relegated that to the DiRT Rally series now.

They’re not getting me excited for DiRT 5 here. But they are getting me excited for DiRT Rally 3.

This video is just… wow. My interest level in the story of DiRT 5 (on a 1 to 10 scale where 10 is the most interested) went from a 3 to a 1 after watching this.

Racing games never, ever benefit from stories. Ever.

I never thought I’d want Ken Block being my dudebro back.

After loathing the new direction at the time the Colin McRae Rally took with DiRT, I came to like Travis Pastrami and even DiRT 2’s roster of fake drivers that could hold grudges.

See that’s good design, it’s not a pre-written story, it’s a means of dynamically generating your own.

I didn’t realize this was being done by the studio that previously did the Motorstorm games and Driveclub. That explains why it feels so different.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-06-22-dirt-5-feels-more-like-a-new-motorstorm-than-a-new-dirt-and-thats-okay

I loved MotorStorm: Pacific Rift and it was story-free! What about Driveclub? I’m pretty sure that was story-free too.

I liked this footage. I wish they had included the cockpit view as well, since that’s where I play from, instead of just first person bumper cam.

I had also missed this features trailer for a few weeks ago.

I have to admit this is looking pretty great. It makes me want to get a 120hz TV so I can play it on Series X that way.

This could be good?

Ugh hood cams are obnoxious. This one cut off the view as he jumped and completely obscured the turn… great.

Delayed again, to Nov 6th.

Ice racing on the Hudson in New York sounds more exciting than it looks in the clip. It’s night racing where you can’t see much.

I guess a bunch of guys arrived on race day and there was a dust storm and they decided to start racing anyway. Notice the dust storm goes away before the end of the race.

I think those last two videos sold me on the game. Reminded me of the Motorstorm series from … 12 years ago?! Thanks for sharing Rock8man :)

Wait, what? No way that was 12 years ago.

Dirt 4 had all sorts of awesome random events, like wildlife or broken down cars along the road. Seems like the occasional Fury Road dust storm wouldn’t be out of place.

-Tom

https://youtu.be/pZDkGSsFANo