DiRT Rally 2.0 - Ain't no ordinary Rally, it's evolved!

I’m looking forward to driving this Subaru Legacy in the game. From his comments it sounds like it’s a Group A car.

I love the look and feel of the cockpit in this Subaru. So much visibility of the road!

I love these Colin stories.

This scenario looks super hard. Keeping your average speed up in a Group B MG, which is an insanely hard car to drive just to finish a race without crashing.

Spoiler alert! We’ll all be doing this next week. Though not as fast as this.

I woke up at 5 this morning, a full hour before my alarm clock. I was just so excited for this DLC. I had both the Windows version and Steam version downloading the 28 GB update, then I played for about 15 minutes before heading to work.

Since on the Windows 10 version, I bought the Year One pack, it comes with the Colin McRae pack for free. But it’s the Steam version on which I play career mode. Since they priced it so damn reasonably ($10), I’ll probably double dip and buy it on Steam as well, just so that I have Scotland in my career rotation for the Daily/Weekly/Monthly challenges. Plus the two Subarus, of course.

As for the scenarios themselves, the game adds another tab to the main menu at the top. So you press RB away from Career mode and the other modes into Colin Mcrae tab. And that’s where you have all the different parts of Colin’s career, including all the different scenarios (40 in total I think) to complete. You set a difficulty first. I set it to Hard to start off with, though I know I’ll inevitably try them on Very Hard as well for that achievement.

A thumbs up for Scotland. Suitably fast, narrow and in parts technical. Love it! Hopefully we get more rallies like it in future games when it comes to the narrowness of the road. Provides a different kind of challenge from many of the other event locations.

Yeah, it’s way more challenging than it looks. The fast speed sections are brutal in a very different way than Poland. In both, it’s one mistake and you’re dead, but Scotland leads to different kinds of mistakes.

Also, Scotland has these logs on the side of the road. Not the big obvious ones, but much smaller hidden logs. I accidentally found a few of them already. Why would someone put a log there? Because they’re evil that’s why. Evil.

Scotland. It’s like Finland in Wales.

As readers of this thread know, I wake up every morning and play DiRT Rally 2.0 to wake up my mind so that I’m semi-coherent in the morning.

This morning the connection to codemaster’s servers was soooooooo slow. In 45 minutes I was only able to do one race because the rest of the time was used in trying to connect to Racenet.

I suspect this is because the game became free on PS+, so that must have seen a huge influx of users in Europe. I doubt there were a lot of people in North America trying to play DiRT Rally 2.0 at 6:15am Central.

I hope this means that a lot of those PS+ users will enjoy the game and give Codies more money. The $10 for the Colin McRae flat out pack is very reasonable.

This morning, connection to Racenet was faster than it’s ever been before. I can just imagine all the people who tried it yesterday for the first time got a bad first impression and didn’t come back today. Or, more optimistically, Codemasters added extra servers to handle the load and it’s now better than ever.

There’s a daily challenge where you have to use the Alpine in Argentina. God, that car is just freakin’ amazing. And that course is tailor-made for that car. There’s so many turns on that course that are uphill. So when you’re turning a rear-wheel drive car, it’s not a problem that the front wheels touching the ground properly because you’re turning uphill. It’s just beautiful. A great choice by a designer to entice the new people who just started playing yesterday to get a good impression of the Alpine without being overwhelmed.

I’ve really only found two cars in this game I enjoy driving - the DS21 and the Alpine. Both just have this lovely sense of weight that makes sense to me. Everything else feels like it’s made of styrofoam. And yeah, Argentina is a great course for that sort of car.

Not just RWD, the 110 is rear engine too, which gives it a lot of junk in the trunk to hang out in gravel hairpins. It was my favourite car in DR1, to the degree that I soured on Dirt 4 as soon as I tried the 110 and found it wanting.

It really is the perfect car for events like Argentina, all of El Condor suits it down to a tee. What it might lack in pure power against its rivals it makes up for everywhere else when driven smoothly. The power-to-weight ratio is a dream going uphill too.

This seems more relevant in here than the DiRT 5 thread since it is more pertinent to the new dedicated DiRT Rally team.

Nice! 2023 to 2027. The first DiRT Rally was out in 2015, then 2.0 in 2019. If they’re prepping for WRC tracks, I think the next being in 2023 makes sense. After playing through all the tracks in WRC 7, I can’t wait to see that kind of track diversity in a DiRT Rally game.

So the DiRT World Series is returning for a second consecutive year. More important in my opinion though, a new piece of content is also coming to the game soon in the form of the Ford Fiesta R5 Mk2, courtesy of the fact it will also be in DIRT 5. Should be coming to the game with the next patch around the beginning of October, so update v1.16.

This evolution of the Ford Fiesta R5 (Mk1) by M-Sport in real-life brings improved aerodynamic design borrowed from the WRC car, a more aggressive ALS (anti-lag system), and improvements to engine performance and the chassis. So all in all, looks more aggressive, sounds more aggressive, and in theory should rally more aggressively than the original Mk1 Ford Fiesta R5.

I finished the starter championship in H2 FWD and – like anyone would – promptly purchased some sort of Ford Cosworth for H3 RWD. My first event was at Poland and after the first stage I was already down by a minute. The car is so fast I was terrified to drive it hard. Maybe I should go back down to H2 RWD for now.

Just hearing “Poland” makes me tighten my knuckles and start sweating. God, what a scary place. So many straights where you can gain so much speed, and then slight turns that can turn deadly at those speeds.

This is a candidate for the biggest lie of 2020. The Alpine is a non-linear nightmare and Argentina is hell on earth.

The only way I’ve found to tame it so far is to drive around in 3rd gear. That way I can steer using the gas pedal without throwing myself for a loop. It’s also curing me of my awful habit of downshifting in the middle of a turn. Downshift, spin, lesson learned a little bit more.

The car really shines in 2 and 3 turns though. It just sails into them, a touch of counter steer, then right out like nothing happened. I look forward to practicing with it more.

Heh. That was a while ago. Going by the post itself, are you sure you’re playing the version of the course where most turns are uphill and not the reverse where they’re mostly downhill? I was talking about a very specific daily challenge. So only one out of 12 possible configuration of tracks in Argentina.