DiRT Rally 2.0 - Ain't no ordinary Rally, it's evolved!

I think Sweden is scheduled to come out tomorrow.

I am slightly tempted, just to see if different call notes make a difference. Overall I have enjoyed the call notes in the second game a lot better. They seem to be more careful about always telling you where you should be coming up on a crest, and the addition of “extra extra long” and “unseen” modifiers is appreciated as well. In general the calls give me a better picture of what’s coming, which should make a difference in Sweden where I just couldn’t learn the track despite doing it hundreds of times, since it all looks the same.

Viral gif from first game

So Sweden happens to be a bit snowier this time round compared to the original DiRT Rally. While the gravel surface under the layers of snow does appear with the stage surface degradation, it still isn’t as exposed as it was in the first game. Studded tires provided a decent bit of grip through the stages, so it will not feel as slippery as the snow and ice in Monte Carlo did on Winter tires. The road seems maybe a tad wider too, giving just that little more wiggle room. The pace notes from Phil are alright as well so far.

Possibly a bit easier to get the hang of this time around as long as you drive within your limit to learn how the car will react in different scenarios (e.g: cornering, on throttle, etc) before trying to max attack for fastest times.

Has anyone figured out if the new tracks will be incorporated into the campaign/career mode like in the first game, or if only the original 6 locations will show up in career mode?

I’m almost done with my current career, just had to restart my 5th leg in New England for the 3rd time this morning. After the 6th leg, I’ll be done and get promoted from Clubman, then I’ll see if Monte Carlos will be incorporated into the next career stages.

Yeah, the DLC locations get included into the career mode selection pool. So far only six locations at a time are selected for the Rally Career so you get a randomised selection from the base locations and whatever DLC locations you have owned. Or should that be enabled on Steam? I haven’t tested it but I imagine Sweden DLC owners can probably turn off\on Sweden, for example, appearing in-game via the Steam Game Properties menu -> DLC sub-category and unchecking\checking it.

I just did Monte Carlo in the career mode it was fun. Similarly the patch notes mentioned Sweden would be incorporated into future My Team events I believe.

So this is obviously someone who has this course memorized down to the millimeter. No HUD help, no voice instructions, just driving the course at full speed like it’s no big deal.

So what’s the verdict on this one at this point? I really enjoyed the first, though I didn’t really get all that far with it. I don’t have a wheel and will not be getting one, and I’ve read that this requires a constant online connection?

In short, am I better off going back to spend some more time with 1, or picking up 2 at this point?

Pick up 2. It’s really good. It’s more quality content. It sounds like all the tracks from the first game will eventually be added to the 2nd game via DLC. So I’m going to buy all the tracks I enjoyed in the first one again in the second. It’s got slightly improved physics and a slightly better feel, and it’s got tire degradation. I think I’d rather do the original DiRT Rally tracks in this new engine. For example, Monte Carlos is great in DiRT Rally, but the way you slip and slide on the ice in the sequel version of the physics just feels more like real life.

Well it is pretty good right now and it should only get better with each future patch and content drop, plus it plays even better on controller than the original DiRT Rally. Remaster the rest of the DR1 locations in DR2 and I can’t think of too many reason to go back. So I would vote for picking up DR2 at some point in the future. Only certain parts of the game need an online connection to communicate with Racenet, so there is also plenty of offline content to mess around with.

On an unrelated note, driving Sweden heavily since its release appears to have also improved my general driving ability in other locations too. Took a break to do some R2 rallies in Australia and was noticeably faster.

The 2007 Ford Focus RS and the 2008 Subaru Impreza coming in a few days, can’t wait to see how they compare to the Skoda Fabia and the Citroen C4. Then a fortnight later, the Panzerplatte and hinklestones return with Germany.

Welp, the 2008 Subaru Impreza possibly just took the 2005 Skoda Fabia’s crown as best car for a predictable, calm and stable drive. Handles like a dream so far whilst I smash it through Poland at high-speed, a location where it can be very easy to come unstuck whilst bouncing off the rev limiter in top gear. The 2007 Ford Focus RS Rally is a different beast to how it was in the original DiRT Rally, this feels much more lively and aggressive in a similar vein to the DiRT 4 version. Has the potential to be seriously fast but it also will require a bit more learning to adjust to the car’s characteristics, such as the car getting a little loose or understeery at high speed when getting off the throttle.

All in all, so far two thumbs up from me for the two new cars. The Ford Focus is a series staple but this is one of the few, if not first, times the 2008 Subaru Impreza has been in the series. Similar looking hatchback Subaru Imprezas have been in the franchise before, such as the 2011 NR4 variant in the original DiRT Rally, but never the original WRC car that Petter Solberg drove for the Subaru World Rally Team.

Thanks for that review of the 2008 Impreza Malkael. I think that will be my next purchase. I’m not having as much fun in the FWD H2 Golf GTI, so I might abandon that championship, and switch over to something else. Maybe even the new Subaru.

Btw, when I started the Pro Championship in the Golf, the 6 locations it picked happened to be the six that came with the game, no Monte Carlo. I’ll see if abandoning that and starting another will yield the same result, of it Monaco gets added this time.

Time for some more screenshots again. This time of the 2008 Subaru Impreza S14 kicking up the dust in Australia. The other cars in the 2000cc class on paper may be theoretically quicker, yet the Subaru is the one that has me going consistently quicker currently. Shall have to undertake the Citroen C4 acclimatization period again, that car is definitely setup for Sebastien Loeb’s driving style, soon though and see how I compare.

Picked this up today in the Humble sale. I’m pleased (and relieved) to find that it works on my system, but a quick shakedown makes it vividly clear that any lessons I learned in the first game have left me. I don’t see a tutorial/driving school thing. What’s the best way to learn/relearn how to drive one of these crazy things?

Well New England is probably one of the friendlier locations at the moment for gravel rallies, compared to how menacing some of the other location’s road can feel at first (e.g: Australia in the forest parts). Then pair it up with something FWD or AWD, because RWD is a learning experience in itself, like the H1 Mini Cooper, R2 cars if you want a bit more grunt, or if you have the DLC try the AWD 2000cc 2008 Subaru Impreza out.

Then the rest if kind of just driving a lot, it becomes second nature after a while since the physics and handling make fairly logical sense. Take it slow and steady and build up the pace from there, maybe focus on just a couple of cars at first to become really familiar with them. There are also plenty of videos on Youtube as well for some hints, tips and tricks.

Also, since I have been chasing some Time Trial times in New England today, enjoy some scenic screenshots.

Wasn’t it possible in the first game to play a custom (or random) championship with cars from your garage and earn money towards more? Is that not an option here? It looks like the only custom mode is in free play, and has no rewards? Is there any way to go back and play a championship at a previous level once you level up, then? Because would mean going up to Pro would be the end of the game for me, if so!

Edit: Having read around a bit, it appears not. That’s a major downgrade, and a weird one at that. There DO seem to be a lot more dailies and such, though. If you’ve got the extra tracks from the DLC are there even more of those? Any intimations they might add something a little more flexible to career mode?

Isn’t the custom championship for that purpose? I haven’t tried it yet. I recently reached Pro difficulty on Career, but I haven’t had time to do any races beyond the Daily challenges since then.

Sadly no, in that the custom championship 1) doesn’t use your garage or staff and 2) doesn’t award credits. It’s basically for testing stuff and otherwise seems pretty pointless.

Contents for Season 2 have been unveiled. Primarily Rallycross focused with two brand new tracks from the WRX series and the return of Group B Rallycross cars. For the Rally fans the brand new addition of the Porsche 911 SC RS, the return of the Lancia 037 Evo 2, and then Wales returns remastered.