DiRT Rally - Codemasters' early access PC rally game

So, thanks to everyone for participating in the most recent Casual League season. Congratulations to Rock8man and ledshok, who finished first and second.

I’m going to put together the next season tonight or tomorrow. I’m planning Group A cars across four locations, with every-second-stage service areas, full restarts (since everyone’s been so generous with the other leagues not having restarts, we’ll leave Casual casual), and career engineers. (I think I’m slightly against owned cars, to keep the doors as wide open as possible for all comers.)

This will be an interesting experiment. I wonder how they’ll handle career engineers coming over to League play. When I play in Championships or Online events (daily, weekly, monthly), I pay my engineers $3400 for every stage. If I’m making them work on my cars in League play, will I be using their contract up during those runs as well? If so, League play is going to get expensive! Especially since you can’t win money in league play. But that’s okay. I can hold off purchasing my next car if it means spending some money on league play.

That’s a good question. I hope it doesn’t involve spending for them—I don’t know if I can afford that. :P I suppose we’ll find out!

I thought this week’s Weekly challenge of a 2000s vehicle in Monaco was going really well. Until the third stage when slipped along the ice, and my car flipped over the little snow embankment to the other side, where you magically get terminal damage. You know the spot I’m talking about.

OMG I hate that spot so much. And the challenge allows no event reset either. Facepalm. I really need to start fearing that stupid little embankment.

The Delta Daily today has a combination I’d never tried before. The BMW in Germany.

Just a reminder, the mid-casual league’s current event ends in a little over 15hours:

There’s the leaderboard so far.

Got my mid-casual run in and it wasn’t pretty. First 2 stages were average but acceptable. Then came Finland which is one of my favorites. Did you know that being on the rims on the front and back left side before the 1st checkpoint makes for a long race, painfully long.

Needless to say my time isn’t very good.

Next time !!!

Oh man, trying to finish a race with two tires is so tough. And sadly losing two tires in Finland is a very common occurrence.

Notice Octavious being pretty brave trying the Peugeot Group B car. That thing is way too powerful for me to tame.

Still over an hour left. LedShok or aspilot or cpugeek13. You guys have been in previous events. There’s still time! :)

Damn I won’t be able to make it this time! If Finland is involved I would estimate my time somewhere around…DNF.

The third stage is in Finland. It’s a short one. But Finland is always dangerous. Just do what I did: be really, really careful.

I’ve been driving that car in the career mode and doing okay. On snow though it’s a freaking monster. I don’t dare slam down the throttle as it just takes off. I think I’m going to dial it down a notch to something easier for next time. :) I did the daily before I shut the game off for the night. I felt like I was driving backwards as it’s sooo much slower. Lol

I was doing the Qt3 Dirt League tonight. I kept messing up in the first stage, and then I’d reset the event and start over. I just wanted one run where I didn’t have any penalties or get my tire destroyed. I finally got it. And it was on the run where this happened:

I wish I could show a video. My right two tires went over a rock, and and then a higher rock, and it flipped my car all the way over, just perfect so I did a flip but never lost speed and just kept going. It was a flip of beauty.

After the third stage in that little Seat Ibiza car, I was only trailing LedShok by about 8 seconds. I remembered that he said he messed up in the last stage, so I had a chance!

Er, that’s not how it all ended. I lost my lights early, and I fell down a cliff 3 or 4 times. In the ended about 48 seconds behind LedShok and just barely ahead of RobC04.

I hope they look at doing something like this with the Steam Controller because pretty much everything on it has haptic feedback. Native controller support would be nice.

It’s crazy how well wipeouts work out sometimes. I don’t know how many times I clipped something that sent me into a spin where I go around completely and just keep driving. Yours of course is even more extreme then that.

The only way I can come close to your times is when you have a bunch of wipeouts :-)

I’m going to setup my trackir with this over the weekend. I briefly tried it last weekend and realized that my profile needs to be tweaked. I’m sure it won’t take long, but I’m lazy until the weekend. Being able to look into turns will be awesome!

Got my Mid-Casual run “out of the way” so I can sink my teeth into XCOM 2 this weekend.

After seeing that three of the four stages were either snow/ice or gravel+rain I abandoned my original plan to go Group B and opted for the ‘easy mode’ Fiesta.

Stage 1 Sweden felt very narrow and I had to fight the temptation to open it up down the straight sections as any slight undulation threatened to throw the car off balance and see me clipping a snow bank. Kept my nose clean in a solid but unspectacular run.

Wales made its first appearance as stage 2, a course I’m pretty familiar with so I saw this as an opportunity to push hard and set a decent time. Run was relatively uneventful though I got perhaps a little too gung-ho through the final couple of bends and almost clipped the wood piles.

The icy climes of Monaco beckoned next and, following my showing in the previous stage, I was perhaps a little over-confident as I belted along the tarmac with little regard for the slick surface. First a high speed crest left the car unbalanced as I went hard on the brakes into a hairpin and over-rotated into the wall. Not one to learn a quick lesson I then was overly aggressive into a subsequent hairpin and was awfully lucky not to receive the dreaded terminal damage message as I teetered on a snowy cliff edge. Luckily I was able to three-point turn it back onto the track without a time penalty but I swapped a chunk of time for a bruised ego.

Lastly back to Wales for the ever-popular Bidno Moorland run. A few scares early on reminded me that gravel in the rain is an entirely different beast than when dry, so I pulled back a touch and kept things from getting too loose. The time felt slow out on the course but pretty satisfied with it in the end.

I’m practicing in the custom event mode until I can get close to your first stage time. It probably doesn’t help that I’m also drinking while playing. ;) My best time so far using the same car is 2:50. The first section is what is giving me trouble. I keep on trying to fly down it when I should probably dial it down a notch.

I think playing in the career mode with the class b cars was a great idea. Everything else seems like cake now. I could barely drive the RWD cars two weeks ago and I jumped into one of the 1970’s cars and just owned the German track with no problems. It felt like I was driving in slow motion.

God I love this f’n game.

Did the Dirt League today. Wow what a disaster you guys had! I was cruising along a good 20 seconds behind Ledshok going into Stage 4. I even had a big spin on Stage 4 but avoided going cliff diving and moved up the leaderboard. I think the leader, Hellforce666, is driving a spaceship not a car!

Good job Ormus.

Is Hellforce666 someone who posts here, or knows about the forum, or just someone who found us through DiRT Rally? I did get an invite in Steam from R777R. Is that him? Or one of you? I looked at R777R and it seems he plays mostly racing games and even has the DiRT 3 badge (which involves getting all the cards from the game somehow).

The closest I’ll ever come to beating ledShok’s time:

After the next stage I immediately fell behind Rock8man and ledShok, so all is right with the world again :-)

The secret to having your name at the top of the leaderboard is to be the 1st person to run the event. Every time I do this I am #1.

Probably shouldn’t tell all my secrets here.