DiRT Rally - Codemasters' early access PC rally game

I wonder how much action rally cross gets in this game. I have tried it but just don’t have any interest in doing short laps. Curious if Codemasters see percentages of the three types. Personally I hope that rally gets the majority of the play and that is where they put future resources.

I enjoy Rallycross somewhat, though I think the AI is too aggressive. Also, I personally enjoy some of the tracks (England) significantly more than others (Sweden).

I also enjoyed Rallycross. Especially as you play through the championships and the AI gets better and better. And then you can play the Monster championship and Elite Championship. At that point, it’s really tough, and quite fun, I thought. But after winning that once, I’ve never gone back, except when it’s a daily challenge.

I did this week’s Qt3 Dirt League. It’s the paved road version of Pike’s Peak! I did fine in the first two stages, but the third stage kicked my ass. On the first run, I immediately destroyed the right side of my car. The rear right tire came off, and instead of trying to get to the finish line with 3 tires, I abandoned that run before I could do even more damage to my car. Luckily each stage allows repairs between runs. So I repaired the car back to 100% and did a second run at Stage 3. This time I went off the paved road 3 times and hit big rocks on the side of the road. But it was already my last run, so I had to make the best of it that I could. In the end, my improvising didn’t go off like a complete disaster. I still made it to the end with four tires.

It’s tough to tell how well or poorly you did when you’re the first one to attempt it though. Once some more of you attempt the hill climb, I’ll have a better idea of how I did. By the way, we’re half way through this Season of the Dirt league and Ormus seems to be running away with it! :) Me and RobC04 are almost tied for second. But I think HellForce666, if he continues to participate, is the biggest threat to win it all by the end of the season.

I have only driven Pike’s Peak once so I guess I better get some practice in! There is no way I will be able to remember all those corners without an invisible friend shouting in my ear.

As for Rallycross I haven’t even tried it!

I took a crack at this last night, my first proper hillclimb. I did a fair bit of practicing on a custom race and settled on the Audi Quattro. I did surprisingly well so decided to take it to the league and… just lost it. I don’t know what happened. In frustration I restarted that first sector a number of times, progressively getting worse and worse.

I decided then to just go full blown conservative mode, ready on the brakes for any sort of loss of control. It was a hard lesson because I managed to get to the top twice with reasonable times and no real fumbles, but still some way behind Rock8man. The next two sectors were total unknowns to me and I wasn’t going to be doing any more restarts after the sector 1 abuse but, driving carefully, I did pretty well. The second attempts help immensely with getting a feel for the corners and knowing when to floor it and slow down. Sector 3 though… wow. My first drive was a write-off as I went careering into banks, careering off banks, careering into boulders… I imagine it’s an amazing stage when you’re more familiar with it because it’s home to some incredible vistas and dramatic stretches of road.

On another note: the mid-casual was a disaster. Took the Lancer Evolution X and was really happy with its weight and stability but damn, the snow. Screw black holes-- we’re talking white holes lining the roads here. The moment I go over a certain event horizon through the stuff I can’t get out and end up spinning or barrelling straight through. Anyway, that wasn’t the real disaster; the real disaster was an inexplicable punctured tyre on stage 3 that threw me off the track. I didn’t total my car, it just slid off the track and… bam, retired.

The wet paved Pike’s Peak is today’s Daily, and it kicked my ass this morning. Phew.

The mid-casual has a little over 15 hours remaining, with the following results so far:

Do another run geggis, you can do it!

The Qt3 Casual League has finally entered a new season: the Group A Cup, touring Northern Europe. We’ll be in Germany, Finland, Sweden, and Wales for six stages each, once per two weeks. Stage and event restarts on, career engineers on.

In other news, I work in sometimes-snowy western Pennsylvania, and I’m usually the first person into our parking lot: our small, otherwise-empty, un-plowed parking lot. This is what rally games do to me. :P

C’mon Fishbreath you can do better. Tomorrow I expect to see full-on donuts. DONUTS!

I don’t have the right number or arrangement of driven wheels for that. :P

Is that the back of a Mini that I see?

It is.

I redid the mid-casual and placed just below Rob. Quite happy with that given that I went in cold and straight through with nary a hiccup. Just took it steady. That last stage was a bit scary at first but once I got a feel for the traction I was alright. I’m a fan of the Evolution X. Mind you, it was my favourite car in Need for Speed: Most Wanted next to the Nissan Egoist…

I edited the screenshot above to include the latest leaderboard with geggis on it!

I noticed Fishbreath has put up the Group A Qt3 Casual league Season. Yay! I’m going to go test that out, see if I have to pay my engineers for each stage of this league. The grand experiment begins! :)

Also, I have never messed with trading cards on Steam, but I figure, if there would ever be a game on Steam where I want a badge, it’s this one, since I love this game so much. So if you see some trading offers from me, that’s why.

Edit: Can’t play. “Steam servers are too busy to handle your request to play DiRT Rally”.

I tried verifying game integrity. After which starting the game displayed the DiRT Rally logo, then a black background with the DiRT Rally logo, and then crash back to desktop with no error message.

I tried restarting Steam, tried restarting my computer. Finally I uninstalled the game, and am now downloading it again. I hope this fixes whatever has gone horribly wrong.

That happened to me once and I had to uninstall and reinstall and that fixed it, hasn’t happened since.

That didn’t work either. The one thing I did after I started the game and quit and BEFORE I tried to unsuccessfully start it again was to download a bunch of new tuning preset for cars in Steam Workshop for the game. So I tried unsubscribing from all the ones I’d just added. When that didn’t work, I went through 15 pages worth of tunings and unsubscribed from them all.

I tried starting the game, and it worked. Phew.

Thank for a great mid-Casual season to all the participants.

For the next season, I’m tempted to do a more curated approach like the Qt3 Casual and Dirt League are doing now. That is, unless there’s a big demand for the “random” approach I was taking before with the Mid-Casual league. I know I did try restricting cars by country the first season, and then horse power the second season, and that wasn’t a good restriction. So I’ll definitely be more specific in car selection this time. Any thoughts?

Another thing that could be interesting is you see those columns above for Bonus points and Penalty points? We could try to implement a handicap system, so the person at the bottom in the previous league gets a leg up, and the final scores are closer together at the end of a season. OTOH, LedShok didn’t participate for a couple of the events in this last season, otherwise he would have been at the top, I think. :)

Rock8man, I don’t know if you’d find this interesting but I think I would. I’d like to run the same track with a lot of different cars. I’d pick a track (not too long) and then have several stages, each with 1 particular car as the only choice. Maybe do that once for each class or something.

This sounds interesting but is it possible?

I guess I assumed it would be possible to pick the same track multiple times, but I never made a leage event so I guess i don’t know for sure.