DiRT Rally - Codemasters' early access PC rally game

And you still beat me by 3+ minutes! I am not worthy ledshok! That’s a remarkable time sir, the same goes for yours Rock8man. I didn’t have any collisions throughout but, comparatively, was driving through molasses.

Yeah, I can’t believe ledShok beat me by about 2 minutes. 1 minute I could understand, since I had two pretty bad runs at the end. But 2 minutes? That’s pretty amazing. I even had a couple of runs in Greece where I was in the top 300 players in the world. And he still beat me by 2 minutes. :) Well done sir. Well done. I’m not even going to reset and try again because I don’t think I can top my own score by more than 30 seconds to a minute at the most, if I had great runs in Finland. This round goes to you for sure. Unless Ormus or someone else can come in at the last minute and beat you. :)

Oh, and just so everyone knows what to expect for what’s coming: Starting at the next event, as inspired by RobC04’s comments, we’ll run the exact same routes and conditions again, but this time in a modern 2010 Mini instead of a 1960s Mini.

No chance of me touching Ledshok’s times I don’t even try to keep up, else I would wrap around so many trees and would need a parachute for all the cliff dives!

However it was a great rally Rock big thumbs up to you for that, curated seems much more interesting than random and the choice of Mini was very good.

I cruised around in my usual steady way, no big mistakes, but no big thrills for the crowds either. Well, I say no mistakes, I did have a few issues on stage 4: that is a dangerous one to be sure!

Pfft, tried uploading a full video of the Ogier save myself…and it got canned for copyright infringement by Red Bull. Lame. :-(

I love that in those clips, the driving reminds me so much of this game. Including that crash with the guard rail. That was my first experience with this whole series when I played the original Colin McRae’s demo, and crashed into a guard rail like that, and it totaled my car. I was shocked! I’d never played a racing game with realistic damage before.

I realize I forgot to check ‘checkpoint’ for checkpoint stages in the casual league. Does that mean there’s no saving unless you finish a whole event? If so, sorry—that wasn’t my intention. I didn’t realize that’s what checkpoints did.

Hopefully it does let you save progress without checkpoint stages checked, though.

Last few hours of the first event of the mid-casual league:

Red Bull can’t keep me down!

https://gfycat.com/WiltedRepentantGull

Nice save. From the on-board camera you can see the two spectators there on that corner too.

About a day left in the Qt3 Dirt League. I was doing pretty well in the first three legs. I was right behind 2nd place going into the last leg, but I messed up three times during that run, and ended up in Fourth place overall, at least in current standings. I hope our new Scandinavian Dirt League members come by the forums too.

One hour left in the Qt3 Dirt league, and Ormus, the current undisputed king of the Dirt League, has made an appearance:

One of this week’s challenges is an R4 challenge in Greece. And the scariest part is that it started out of the gate with two night courses. So there I am in my Subaru, getting severely banged up, limping into a horrible finish in the first leg with one headlight. And then the second leg, also at night, I quickly destroyed my extra headlights and my left headlight again. And then driving around in the dark, I ended up going over the cliff in one of those falls where you don’t get reset back on track, but you get terminal damage instead. Whew. Rough week.

I enjoyed the Dirt League this week with Group A the old Subaru is fun to drive. Who are all these randoms though hehe?

I have been doing R4 in single player with the Mitsubishi and I find it quite tricky for some reason.

Today’s Delta Daily is in Finland. As is usual with Finland, it all went south pretty quickly.

See the two trails of sparks behind my Citroen? Losing both back tires is not good for your driving capability.

Man that Citroen is a very bouncy car. I managed to get under the delta by about 36 seconds, and that was with 2 headlong crashes into a tree. How come when I filter by friends I don’t see you Rock8man? I see you on other leaderboards filtered by friends.

I think it’s because I didn’t finish. After I was down to two wheels, it was basically impossible to keep going so I retired. So even though it then puts my time down as 30 minutes, I don’t think that 30 minute time is actually officially recorded.

Been playing Dirt 3 lately, and I am enjoying it outside of the forced Gymkhana events and the awful drifting challenges. Anything involved with actual racing is superb, but these ‘stunt’ events are nigh impossible to perform adequately on my racing wheel and its getting to the point where I kind of want to stop playing.

Dirt Rally doesn’t feature any of that stuff does it?

So how do the vehicle physics/driving model(s) in this game compare to classics like Rally Trophy and Richard Burns Rally? I love the looks of this, but I wouldn’t want an arcade-like experience if I bought it. What control scheme are you all using? Wheel/pedal combo (I still have my ACTLabs ForceRS but don’t know if it has Windows 7 drivers), or 360/Xbone controller?

BDGE, no, Dirt Rally only includes Rally, Hillclimb and Rally Cross.

Papageno, I’ve never played RBR but from what I gather Dirt Rally compares favourably to it. I play using the Steam Controller, no gyro or trackpad though. I tried both but couldn’t wrap my head round it.

It’s up there with RBR. Physics are a little more ‘grippy’ - whether that’s better depends on which side of the “RBR cars drive like they’re on ice” debate you fall on. :-)

Rest assured, both are sitting comfortably at the ‘sim’ end of the spectrum.

I’m using a G27 and pedals.