DiRT Rally - Codemasters' early access PC rally game

Same here. I tried using my old MOMO force yesterday and the results were pretty awful. I’m sure with a higher end wheel it’s a lot better, but I just could not control the car in a reasonable manner. I’ve actually found that in most racing games that’s the case. The only exceptions being on-track racing simulations like GTR 2 where smoother, more deliberate control inputs are necessary, as opposed to the twitchy lock-to-lock steering of a sim like this or more arcadey games like NFS.

I just don’t really play enough racing sims to justify the price of a G27.

I bought a used Driving Force GT off of eBay when I bought DiRT Rally, and as far as my sim-driving goes, it’s the best investment I’ve made to date.

Alright. Pre-ordered. Which I hate doing. But the price was decent and Dirt Rally proved that the Codemasters folks know what they are doing.

Well, it’s 2017 and everyone’s moved to Dirt 4, but I finally tried the Finland track in Dirt Rally. It’s a lot of fun with all the jumps, but the pace notes are almost useless because there are so many crests and dips!

I wish I made more time for race sims. So much fun, but it’s so much easier to pick up a gamepad in my life right now. And no, I’m not going to use a gamepad to play!

It always makes me feel good to see this thread float up to the top. I miss this game.

Oh, I forgot to mention one fun thing from this weekend. After playing DiRT Rally for 3 hours straight, I jumped straight into the RSRBR mod for Richard Burns Rally. I used a 2000s-era WRX in both games. I tried to drive like I drove in DiRT Rally and the car kept plowing out of the corners! I’m no expert but it seems like you really need to use weight transfer to even make it around the course in RSRBR. Lifting off the gas makes a big difference.

The more modern cars in DiRT Rally do seem almost magical to me. It’s as if technology allowed them to have huge amounts of traction from thin air. And their brakes allow them to stop almost instantly. It’s like cheating, almost.

That’s why when we were doing the Qt3 leagues, I would always try to pick cars from the 60s, 70s or Group B.

Oh man I love Finland. Just raw balls-out speed.

So many flowing low-difficulty corners, you approach at 110mph. In mid air. And then outside the corners are ruts. And trees.

Turning into the corner before you reach the crest so that you’re flying sideways aiming at trees and relying on them to not be there when you get there is a special kind of lunacy.

I think it was Finland where I finally got the achievement for being on the rev limiter in top gear for two seconds. Then I finally tried Germany and had it pegged all the time on asphalt, which also seems like cheating.

Hitting a jump on the limiter sounds so good.

Since I had the Xbox Game Pass, I couldn’t resist downloading this on Xbox.

Oh my god, I’m in love all over again. Is this the best game of all time, or what? Of course, that’s after doing the Greece track. I’ll probably be grumbling under my breath once I’m forced to go to the snow in Sweden. I still can’t ever wrap my head around how to do well on the snow tracks.

I still think this is a better game than Dirt 4, but Dirt 4’s procedural stage generation just elevates it as a rally game.

Even though you can see the seams sometimes, when the track generator puts a few similar sections in a short space, you can’t really process it well enough at speed to take too much advantage of that.

Our Dirt 4 Club just finished a world rally event with races in each country and the winning margin after almost two months was… two minutes. Quality of the generated stages varied, but there were some really good ones in there that almost everyone saved to their “my stages” folder and just knowing at the start of the race that no one had seen the miles of road ahead was great.

I still keep Dirt Rally installed though, because the cars just feel so good. The DR Renault Alpine in particular is probably in my top three for sim racing cars.

Is that the one in the 60s category? I noticed that the 60s category didn’t just have the Mini Cooper and Lancia Fulvia anymore, but also something called an Alpine. I was wondering where that came from. Unfortunately, when you first start a career, they don’t start you off with enough credits to be able to buy that car.

Yeah, it’s a 60s rally car, but it’s rear wheel drive and rear engine.

With all that junk in the trunk it’s really tail heavy and when you get a hairpin just right and hang that rear out there it feels really good.

Bumping a pretty old thread here, but this bit of motorsports fun ought to be familiar to those of you who, like me, took the occasional crack at the Pike’s Peak course.

That is insane. I’ve been on that in real life, there’s so many places where a mistake would mean death. To go that fast? Phew boy, that takes a lot of stones.

I really wish they hadn’t added Sweden to the game. The way the structure of the game’s campaign works, you have to do randomly chosen venues as part of the campaign. I’m really glad I played this game mostly at a time when Sweden was not part of the game yet.

In a way, it’s a good thing. Honestly, if they hadn’t added Sweden, I might have just kept playing this game forever. And how would I get through my backlog then?

Did they not have a better onboard camera? That’s terrible.

Fire up the rumour mills, we got ourselves some possible activity on the horizon. In true video game fashion, Phil Mills – co-driver to Petter Solberg, 2003 WRC winners-- posted about his involvement in recording co-driver audio for a new, currently unannounced rally game, before the post was removed as typical for when these things leak. The location in the picture looked very suspiciously close to the same office and gear Paul Coleman, who has left Codies DiRT studio to work elsewhere recently, was in when recording the DiRT Rally pacenotes. If it is true then we should see some details in about 6-ish weeks according to the now deleted post…

So, uh, DiRT Rally 2 please and thank you?.. Either way, that is enough to make me want to jump back into DiRT Rally again regardless.