Dirty Bomb - New multiplayer shooter from Spash Damage

Is that a joke? Lol

For what it’s worth Tei, I thought the weapons, particularly the Mossington shottie, the Chinzor, Lobster, and a lot of the SMGs like the Tampa and Bulpdaun sounded, looked and felt fan-freaking-tastic in Brink – a lot better than anything I used in TF2. With the right weapons and mods you could make weapons that weren’t spray and pray, in fact, the Bulp was one of my favourites for that very reason.

The chokepoints/bottlenecks were what Brink and the Enemy Territory games were all about. It took a co-ordinated effort from the entire team to break through them, using grenades, heavies, different class abilities and the different entry points into the contested areas. The problem was, most players seemed to play in a vacuum as if they could get by on their own and this exasperated the lemmings meat grinder effect. It’s no different to watching new/silly players try and take forward hives/marine bases or bunkered resource points in NS2 on their own.

Personally, I think Brink alienated people because it drew in a lot of the faster TTK lone wolf CoD and Battlefield crowd when the game was explicitly about teamwork and slower TTK gunfights. It got caught in a kind of demographic crossfire. It didn’t help that it was Splash Damage’s first cross-platform release and it was so buggy on launch across most systems (apparently – I didn’t buy/play it at launch). Splash Damage games scratch a multiplayer itch for me though that few other games do so I’m really looking forward to Dirty Bo-- no, Extracti-- sorry, Dirty Bomb. I’m glad they changed the name back personally.

I’m hoping they’ve still got some of the parkour elements in there because I thought that was a great addition in Brink, even if it wasn’t exploited fully.

Thanks for the beta key geggis, I am really enjoying the game, can’t say much more due to NDA or whatever I clicked yes to when signing up.

I’m in, also.

NDA but… I never respected one :P. Putting just some general impressions: This is very Splash Damage, and very classic competitive fps. Pretty fast movement and combat, ADS optional, focused on competitive 6vs6 stopwatch. The map I tried wasn’t very complex, but it has a few avenues of attack and entries. It was small, but I think they are more focused on well balanced and tuned and not in “sprawling maps” and options for the sake of options.

In a way it could be said it’s the opposite of Battlefield, instead of big and open and vehicles and epic, it’s small, only infantry, laser focused on pure skill. And goot netcode :P

The interesting thing is the class system. There are not 4 or 5 classes as their past games, but more. Right now there are 19, but each “class” is just one main weapon and one secondary and one or two abilities (or maybe three, with a passive ability too), and some variation in stats like health and speed. No gameplay customization, at least not for now and I suspect it isn’t in their plans (if you could switch the shotgun for a sniper rifle, it wouldn’t make sense to have shotgun characters and sniper characters in the rooster). I suspect they are going to imitate a bit the MOBA genre and have several dozens of characters, which ties well with the f2p model.
You can pick 3, and switch in each respawn inside a match.

I still have a key for beta.

I missed this. I’d love a key. Wolf/ET is still my fave multiplayer of all time.

I’ve got two beta keys for this. PM me if you want one.

Yeah, I played the hell out of Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory back in the day and loved every minute of it. I really had high hopes for Quake Wars but for some reason it never clicked with me. Picked up Brink on a Steam deal a long time ago and I think I might have played all of 30 minutes of it. Here’s hoping they can recapture the magic of Wolf: ET.

Coming to Steam in January 2015.

Hello one and all,

We’ve been busily working away on Dirty Bomb; iterating and improving on it while seeking out the right partners as we move toward launch. So we are very pleased to announce that Dirty Bomb will soon be available to play on Steam!

But first, we need to do some maintenance: From the 17th of December, at approximately 2 p.m. PST, until January 2015, Dirty Bomb will be offline. We’re sorry you won’t be able get your daily fix of mercenary mayhem for a little while, but this method will get the maximum amount of high-quality work and testing done in as short an amount of time as possible. We will return to normal service as quickly as possible, and it’ll soon be time to test the system in the wild once again.

We’ll keep you updated as time goes on, so be sure to keep an eye out on your emails and the forums.

Cool beans , I find the game alright , I think I am under NDA but I forget…

Now on Steam.

This has come a LONG way since I played it last. (NDA still in effect)

Yep, registered my key from when I was in beta 6 months ago. I haven’t played it probably 4 months, gonna pop on later tonight and see whats been changed.

PM a beta key for poor Rachel anyone? (Please and thanks.)

I don’t like the TF2 vibe at all. Was this always the case with this game? I could’ve sworn they were going for the gritty modern military shooter feel at some point.

Nope. Check the beginning of the thread. It was always very stylized.

It isn’t as cartoony as TF2, it’s in a middle point.

In any case, I don’t think this is going to be very successful business-wise, classes need to be more full-fledged and have more personality if they want people to spend money buying them and buying skins for them.

Gonna be playing and streaming today. www.twitch.tv/harkonis and www.harkonis.com Feel free to join if you’re in the beta or just come watch

NDA has now been lifted. There’s also a “starter pack” available on Steam.

Q. Is Dirty Bomb going to be pay-to-win?
A. Dirty Bomb will be free-to-win, meaning players who chose not to spend any money will not be at a disadvantage to those who do. There will be options to buy items, but anything that has an impact on performance can be unlocked without spending even one penny. For example, while we’ll have two free Mercs at all times, and a free rotation of additional Mercs, some Mercs also will be available to purchase with Credits (earned) or currency (paid).

I’ve clocked about 3 hours now since it went up for sale on STEAM a few days ago. Overall its a lot like Wolf:ET mashed up with Brink but with worse jumping / parkour elements.

Anyone else playing?