Disable WinXP scandisk at startup?

I had a weird crash last night but everything seems to be running fine now with the exception of WinXP wanting to scan my drives every time during bootup despite a proper shutdown. What would trigger this and how do I stop it?

You have the infamous “Flagged Dirty” disk syndrome:

Disabling Chkdsk - Windows 2000 and XP

1. Run the Registry Editor (regedt32.exe)
  2. Under the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE subtree, go to the following subkey:
    \SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager
  3. Change the BootExecute entry to:
    autocheck autochk *
    Exit your registry, you may need to restart or log out of Windows for the change to take effect.

OR:

To fix this:

Select Start/Run and type msconfig then press OK

Click on Advanced
Click on Disable Scandisk
Click on OK and reboot

Or at a command line using Run:
chkntfs /x c: This disables chkdsk from running on drive C:

And Even Better:

First click Start> Run> bring up a command prompt by typing in “CMD” and type " fsutil dirty query d: ". This queries the drive, and more than likely it will tell you that it is dirty. Next, type “CHKNTFS /X D:”. The X tells Windows to NOT check that particular drive on the next reboot. At this time, manually reboot your computer, it should not do a Chkdsk and take you directly to Windows.

Once Windows has fully loaded, bring up another CMD prompt and type and now you want to do a Chkdsk manually by typing “Chkdsk /f /r d:”. This should take you through 5 stages of the scan and will unset that dirty bit. Finally, type “fsutil dirty query d:” and Windows will confirm that the dirty bit is not set on that drive.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2004-40,GGLD:en&q=XP+scandisk+on+every+boot

Your Google Fu needs work. ;)

Thanks I’ll give that a go.

Yeah I guess my Google Fu is weak sauce but I swear I tried several queries but couldn’t find shit pertaining to WinXP - I found the first fix you mentioned above and my registry already had the autocheck autochk * listed. I believe the second tip is for Win98/ME only as I’m not seeing an “advanced” tab in msconfig.

The last one is by far your best bet, but just in case, I posted the Google Search string for you.
Good luck, let us know how you made out. I had the same problem a while ago and simply forgot what I did to fix it but the last procedure rings a bell.
;)

I ran "fsutil dirty query x: and all drives came up clean. I then ran "chkntfs /x x: on all my drives and was able to reboot and scandisk didn’t scan my drives :}

Excellent, glad to help out.