Disco Elysium (2019) - Detective RPG

Yes, I’d say so. Voice acting is solid overall, and it’s not like you have to sit through every line. I never found it annoying. That part when you switch from the voiced part of a dialog tree to the text-only part was always a bit (negatively) noticeable to me.

More Kim voice can only be a good thing, I would think.

I found the voice acting to be uniformly excellent.

This is down to $14 at Epic - presumably that version gets the Director’s Cut changes when they come out…

This might be the first time I’m hearing that they are updating this to have 100% full voice over. I’m one that doesn’t mind just a little voice work to get me started, and the rest be text - I can hear the actors in my head if I get a sample plus it gives writers more room to create more branching dialog - but since the dialog is already written here, adding full voice over is actually really cool - and the precedent set from Pillars of Eternity 2 being fully voiced means I do indeed love fully voiced RPGs. This is exciting, I’ve been kind of thinking of replaying this a second time, I was just letting enough time pass since the first play through so I could forget a bit more of it.

I still have to play it. Haven’t gotten around to it yet.

My backlog isn’t even especially large, relatively speaking. I could finish it off in 1-2 years, tops, if I set my mind to it!

Only if Steam stops holding sales!

Looks like The Final Cut update and PS4/PS5 editions have a release date: March 30th.

I’ve been itching to replay this (again), so I’ve only got to wait just a bit longer.

Australians are not invited.

I’m assuming the Steam version, which I don’t think was ever submitted for rating here, will still get the Final Cut update.

I love how they have a Adult category and then never allow any games in said category to exist.

This is very “what if videogames existed during the 1940’s”:

depict, express or otherwise deal with matters of sex, drug misuse or addiction, crime, cruelty, violence or revolting or abhorrent phenomena in such a way that they offend against the standards of morality, decency and propriety generally accepted by reasonable adults to the extent that they should not be classified

Does anyone here know a reasonable adult who can comment on the extent to which the game offends against the standards of morality, decency and propriety they accept?

Considerably less than your average Michael Bay film.

It’s pretty much always down to drugs. As soon as a game provides an incentive or reward for using drugs, it’s banned here.

I wonder if they banned Michael Pollan’s How to Change Your Mind as well? (NYTimes book review in that link).

Or every single Joe Rogan podcast ever.

I don’t consider myself a reasonable adult but the whole ‘Pissf****t’ [sic] thing in Disco Elysium was a turd-coated piece of gravel in an otherwise delicious sandwich and still annoys me.

Say it or don’t say it. Don’t get me to do your heavy lifting. Especially since the writers saw fit to invent other derogatory terms (e.g. ‘binoclard’) to try and capture that grimy sleaze without the real world baggage. Though they sprinkled a few ‘cunts’ around the script with g*y abandon.

Ultimately I guess my point is that I am offended that Disco Elysium just wasn’t offensive enough.

Y’all toss out cunts left and right but self-censor gay? Weird.

I’m all for profanity, myself. Dirtier the better.

Profanity has its place. Negotiating a job with a prospective client? Strongest term I’ll use is “unlikely”. Fighting tree roots out of earshot? Every fucking disease in the book combined with all kinds of sexual and religious perversions in myriad interesting ways.

And so it is in art.

I actually liked the static effect when f***** was censored out.

In a game that explicitly talks about racism, sexual violence, and children hooked on amphetamines, avoiding taboo slurs is out of place. Putting them in the game but censoring them is weird, but I understand why they (or the publisher) thought it was necessary for a game that is to be sold commercially.

Fortunately, the Australian Committee of Reasonable Adults was too smart to fall for this obvious attempt at feigning decency.