Disco Elysium (2019) - Detective RPG

The Cuno voice change is unforgivable!

I didn’t end up minding Cuno’s change. It’s the new Lena voice that really disappoints me. Also, the old Klaasje was better.

At least the, uh…

(checks notes)

…writing…

is, uh…

well, anyway.

I have unfortunately never had the opportunity to deploy, “the fuck does Cuno know what a rrrake is?!” in real life, but that line floats through my head at least once a week.

Weird, I prefer the old Cuno too. I found it very grating at the time, but it did nail the character perfectly - the new one seems too vanilla.

They re-recorded him with a new voice, but they kept the “having a conversation inside an empty metal barrel” effect. Does that mean it’s intentional?

You mean reverb? I don’t have that in my version of the game.

The original actor’s rake line is one of my all time favorite line deliveries in any medium, right behind Kim’s, “so the body is still in the tree,” which just conveys such a massive weight of weariness you can feel it in the small of your back.

Not reverb exactly, more a metallic sort of echo, at least that’s what it sounds like to me. I heard it when playing the original version, it’s both versions in the Video Kolbex linked and I’ve seen other people complain about it, so it’s not just me.

I’m up to Day 3 now in my game. It’s an oddly compelling game, and incredibly unique.

Regarding the voice overs, as good as they are, I turned them off after about a half day (game time). There is a LOT of dialog, and listening rather than reading slowed things down too much for my liking.

Also, now that I’ve heard the main voices some, I can imagine those voices as I read.

I’m also on Day 3 and oh boy does the plot thicken! The ‘scenes’ just ooze atmosphere, just incredible all around.

What surprises me the most is how in tune I am with various options that are available to pick - feels like the game must’ve gone through a ton of iteration when it comes to writing. [Conceptualization] Or maybe I just got so sucked into this narrative that it feels that way.

I’m still on day 4 but the game keeps delivering in spades (just found Ruby).

It’s absolutely mind blowing how much content they managed to cram into these two relatively small maps (I don’t know if more unlock later) The way they have used amnesia in this game is second to none, and it makes the plot twists even more impactful than they would have been otherwise. The whole game is a masterclass in writing, not much more I can say there. If I’ll see another game with this level of writing in the next 20 years I’ll be very surprised. Can’t believe the devs are not native english speakers, absolutely mind blowing.

The way the time is handled is one of my favorite mechanics, it gives the conversations more meaning and the interjections by Kim to speed things along actually make sense. I’ve mentioned previously that it feels like the game went through a lot of iterations as far as conversation flow goes, and this is yet another one of those things that made me think that.

Money has actual value, and is not easy to come by. Trying to go for all the convo options is more often than not counter productive. The art design is clean, despite the picturesque style. The whole protagonist - partner dynamic is amazing, and nicely fills in for critical parts where you might otherwise be missing some skills to progress - very nice touch, and it shows the devs had a lot of foresight when developing this game. Really, my only gripe with the game are the minor bugs, sometimes interactable objects will disappear after you leave a conversation, but saving and going to main menu and loading the game seems to fix this.

I’ll update this as I go along, but I think my opinion of the game won’t change much. Another thing I will very likely have to update though is my list of top 5 RPGs of all time, because this will be definitely on it.

edit: Oh yeah, and the constant interjections by bits of your personality (based on stats) are genius. love it.
edit2: The thoughts mechanic is also fantastic, especially on first playthrough when you don’t know what the outcome will be.

This definitely is a premier roleplaying game.

edit3: And finished! Fantastic ending, with plot twists (phasmid and being a gym teacher lol) that knocked me on my ass.

10/10 game

I just finished day one.

In hindsight, in terms of stats I probably should have went 4/4/2/2 instead of 5/3/2/1, but I am pumping perception now after getting a substantial memory cabinet boost there. My head canon here is my dude is finally getting sober after a full day of liver rest.

I’m a Sorry Cop, Ultraliberal, and on the path to the Kingdom of Conscience!

I checked the VO differences between Cuno people were whining about up thread. I don’t get it. I suppose the original Cuno had a stronger accent but that is really it. /shrug

I can’t believe how well they characterize Kim. I have never before wanted so badly not to disappoint a fictional character, and it feels soooo wonderful whenever I earn a sign of respect, or get him to crack a joke.

Same here, and the outcome I got in the ending conversation made the whole thing even sweeter. I wonder if he can reject your invitation to Precinct 41, depending on choices you’ve made throughout the game?

Has anyone played with a low Perception character btw? It seems like the most important stat to me.

For most of Day One my perception was 1, but now it is 5.

I only learned about the broken window in my room at night when I returned to my room. (I found my shoe outside of that encounter)

Pretty sure the answer to your question is yes. In fact, it’s possible to be partnered with Cuno during the end, if Kim gets shot during the showdown.

I tend to gravitate towards a 4/4/2/2 empathetic Sorry Cop, but I want to try leaning into Physique and Shivers eventually and play an unhinged asshole.

WHAT?!? That’s mental!!

I’m tempted to start a new playthrough right away, and maybe try to be a hard-ass fascist, but I don’t want to disappoint Kim.

IT’S SO HARD! I’m adopting a kitten soon, and I am very tempted to name him/her Kim Catsuragi.

Well you don’t seem to be very sensitive to tone.