Disco Elysium (2019) - Detective RPG

I need to get back into this. I tried it when it first came out but never played past the second day - can’t remember why. How’s it play on switch? I’ve got some airplane time coming up and it seems like a perfect handheld game, except that the art won’t have the same impact and I’m concerned about text size.

I’ve been (re)playing it handheld and it works well! It’s probably not the ideal experience, but the text size hasn’t been an issue at all.

So I had to stop my playthrough for a number of reasons, but the main reason was me not being in the proper headspace to play a game like this. I just wasn’t absorbing what I was reading, I was getting frustrated easily (fuck you, Cuno!), and I wasn’t paying attention to what the game was telling me. I was just blindly investigating and stumbling into new areas and meeting new people, but without a solid foundation to build upon. Now, I could definitely make a case for me to just role-play that way, but I just wasn’t feeling the game. I set it aside for a few days and did some other things.

Now I’ve picked it back up, and I went with the Sensitive pre-build. I’m trying to stay more focused (as long as my wife and the animals let me) and taking it slow and trying to be more methodical in playing. I’ve already noticed differences from my first playthrough. For one, I wasn’t given the option to ask the girl outside my room Police Questions. We just chatted and she went back into her room after her smoke.

But what sucked me in was after dumpster diving.

I found my ledger. Then I found the secret compartment. Then I read the letter. Then I passed out and had another conversation with my brain. Then the ledger became the Ledger of Failure and Hatred - Disco Elysium Wiki

I know my name, I know I’m sad and pathetic, but I don’t know why.

Yet.

The human condition.

I’ve downloaded this on my laptop and just barely started it once, just winging it (which seems to be the way to do it first play through?) and life got in the way of playng more. However, I will have a little down time and want to know how I can be sure I’m playing “The Final Cut” version? When I opened my library in Steam it appears it’s downloading a decent sized update - do I have to purchase the Final Cut version or will it automatically update to that version?

As far as I know there’s no way to have a version now that’s not Final Cut.

Yep, the “normal” version got updated to Final Cut, so that’s what you should have.

Part of the game’s genius is how it rolls out pieces and parts of its world. How (and especially when) you learn about the world and the characters is just executed so well. And the additional context pays off in multiple playthroughs.

OK. Didn’t see anywhere where it gave a version number so I’ll just trust it is that version unless there’s an easy way to check? (Yes, I get anal retentive about stuff like this.)

If the text is entirely narrated (descriptions and all), it’s Final Cut.

I think I’d appreciate a little bit of gatekeeping, if it’s even possible. In my first playthrough, I was talking to Cuno, trying to figure out how to get the body down. Then I was searching the courtyard, I found Cuno’s hideout, and then I was able to ask him about entering the harbor. Harbor? What harbor? Nobody mentioned a harbor to me yet. So I’m able to enter the harbor because the game is letting me, but I don’t know why I’m there except because I CAN be. I guess that’s fine, playing up the amnesia angle. Then I’m meeting people and doing favors and I’m overwhelmed and wasn’t there a body I was trying to cut down?

I’m just really trying this time through to move through the world as naturally as possible.

So, getting into the harbor is something you need to do in order to interview the Union boss, which I think should be a task in your journal. There are a couple of ways to get to him, of which you’ve found one.

The game will let you go off the rails and find yourself out of your depth. There’s nothing truly off-limits except for the second half of the map, which opens on Wednesday. If you’d like the most “directed” experience, start with the oldest task in your journal, work it until you can’t anymore or need to wait for something, then work the next oldest, and so on. Or, if you prefer more direction, focus primarily on getting the body down and investigating it. From there, you’ll get more leads and tasks.

Or you could just let the body hang all week. Totally viable. And then find some speed and alcohol.

Anyone playing the Switch version that just came out?

If so, how are the load times?

I’ve been playing on Switch. The load times aren’t fantastic, but they aren’t bad enough that I’ve really noticed them much when playing.

Just did the back and forth with Klaasje and Titus. This game is heavy.

That’s what I did. Failed getting the body down, got as many modifiers as I could, still failed the check, refused to put points in endurance because I’m not some kind of Endurance Cop, ran out of accessible xp, had to load an old save to put a point in endurance and save scum the check. Doing it earlier definitely would have led to a more sensible game flow.

It’s possible to finish the game without getting the body down. There’s even an achievement for doing it without ever interacting with the body at all.

Now that I think about it, I didn’t get the body down until the end of the week, but it was the Authority check with Titus that was gating me from the end. Pretty sure I looked it up and that one is required to beat the game.

This getting the body down talk is making me wonder, is there more than one way do it? I only ever managed to get the big racist guy from harbour to do it for me.

Yep! You can also shoot the strap it’s hanging from.