Discourse Changes & Enhancements

The correct answer is Turbo Duo.

Is it just me, or has the search functionality become pretty wonky lately, at least when using the default sorting (relevance)? A few example searches:

• “Witness”: Finds mostly various front page posts where the title contains a word starting with “Wit” (Witchers, Witches, Withouts, etc). The actual Witness thread isn’t there at all.
  • “GTA”: does not seem to give the thread of any GTA game in the top 50. At least “Grand Theft Auto” ranks the GTA V thread somewhere around position 25.
  • “Borderlands 2”: All kinds of random threads on all subjects, but no forum thread on any Borderlands game.

It’s as if the threads containing both a perfectly matching title and thousands of posts are not even considered, as they would absolutely have to rank in front basically all of these results. (Maybe because the frontpage imports have crowded those threads out of the search index, or something).

It’s possible all the influxed Front Page topics are interfering, even though we did adjust dates on them. @arpit.jalan can you have a look?

Oh wait I know what this is LOL.

The topics have autoincrementing index column ID numbers that mark them as “new” topics due to their insertion order :(

Looks like someone hasn’t installed iOS 10 yet… you should. Because You Won’t Believe What Happened Next!

The patreon logo in the menu bar is nice, but on mobile, it scrolls with the page instead of staying in the menu bar.

That is how it is supposed to work. (Sorry this was covered in other topics but not this one.) Just like ad banners scroll off the page. If you want ads that never scroll off the page, let Tom know ;)

Oh, that’s cool then. There aren’t ads on mobile, so the metaphor isn’t as clear.

This drives me a little nuts:

(First tab there is front page, 2nd is the forum.)

Edit to add a new shot with neither tab active:

Can you turn off the hijacking of control+F? It’s REALLY annoying. I go to search for a bit of text in a thread and instead it’s trying to search the whole forum :( I want to use my browser’s find function, not have the website hijacking and replacing it.

You can hit CTRL F twice to get the normal browser search. The reason it’s hijacked is because of the endless scroll. Posts are loaded in blocks around your position. As you move up or down, posts further away are discarded. So the normal CTRL F can only search a small portion of content that’s currently loaded in memory.

Fair enough. Thanks :)

Good to know, thanks!

I clicked reply to someone, pressed the little quote whole post button, typed some text into the text box.

Then I pressed reply to someone else in the hope of adding more text easily and BAM, it wipes my post. No are you sure?". Thankfully I religiously copy and paste text boxes before doing anything, as browsers are my enemy. I can understand the limitation of “you can only reply to one person” but I don’t want my post deleting.

Also: details tags don’t seem to work in quotes and leak their details out.

Also Also: Selecting someone’s text and pressing " quote reply doesn’t work with images, which is why I tried to reply to a second post only to have it eat everything.

I can’t repro what you are describing with losing reply text, at least not on iPad.

As for quotes, why do you need to duplicate so much information from an upstream post? Quotes have limited formatting support by design.

wait, what does this mean? I have iOS 10 and pinching is just zooming into the forum, it does not realign and wrap the text.

In iOS 9 that was impossible.

It still does not solve the problem of tiny font. But it’s ok, we have that book market to increase/decrease font that someone linked from another thread. That’s a saviour.

It was on chrome on a window machine. It seems to keep the text here on android chrome. Odd. I’ll play with it later.

And I simply want my reply to match the formatting that I’m actually replying to, wether or not I’m replying to 3 words or 1000.

edit: I can’t re-produce this on my work machine. I’ll try on the laptop that caused the problem when I’m at home, though I’d be curious to find out why one works and the other doesn’t. (Also: It totally happened and I didn’t dream it, and I could repeat it on that page when it happened…)

Is the Twitch Onebox a recent addition? It’s autoplaying the linked to channel (maybe just if the stream is currently live?). Autoplaying any kind of video is really obnoxious. And it also seems like a fairly useless feature, since the video is an unresizable 300x150 postage stamp unless you click through to Twitch.

The example I saw was this Twitch link in the Offworld Trading Company thread:

This causes some really weird screen freakouts on Android Chrome, moreover, as the whole screen gets overtaken by a black “about to play some video y’all” screen for about 2 seconds before finishing loading the thread. . . every time you open one w/ one of these oneboxed Twitch streams in the recent history.