Discourse Changes & Enhancements

Also, man, the backwards window of loaded posts on mobile is maddening sometimes, scrolling up 1-2 posts, then hitting a block, t hen the whole page jumping up (or is it down? I’m not visually gifted!) when the old posts finally do load. . . blagh.

I get why it’s necessary–without pagination, no device is gonna stand up to all 20k posts in the Presidential Election 2016 thread–but still :(

Loading above is extra challenging because the height of the content can’t exactly be predicted. Loading below you will not notice since height below you does not change your vertical position.

Was there a server move or upstream outage communicated to you within the past couple of days? Since a few days ago I’m not able to access Qt3 from home (work and cell is fine) unless I VPN; the Patreon and Amazon links will partially load and that’s it. This is the only site I’m having an issue on and running a tracert the connection consistently times out after 66.110.96.26. If I VPN to connect and then disconnect from the VPN I can keep reading, but any locally hosted pictures and avatars won’t display.

Not that I am aware of, this is a Digital Ocean droplet in the NY datacenter. The CDN is CDN77. You can view source to see the CDN URLs.

you guys are awesome, seriously. Thank you for putting so much time and hard work into making this forum very enjoyable for all of us! So happy to read the first post and see so many strike throughs. My hat off to you and the team!

^
|
|

What he said.

Like +++. But the dark theme is going to be life changing. I won’t be truly satisfied until it’s done.

@Brooski clearly has an account, but the front page posts are done under @tomchick . How come e.g. @Telefrog gets the forum credit when he posts something, but other don’t? What special magic goes on here?

Everything on the account needs to match exactly between WordPress and here, for starters.

The bit of signup text at the bottom of every thread when the user isn’t signed in could probably be tweaked to remove the emoji and the bit about liking posts.

Hey there! :heart_eyes: Looks like you’re enjoying the discussion, but you’re not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you’ve read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts to share the love. :heartbeat:

User selectable color themes starting with dark and light is currently near the top of our list. @sam is working on it.

Nice!!

Great news!

I don’t suppose anyone mentioned dark theming with the Solarized pallette would be awesome. ;)

Please, stop. I can only get so erect!

Also, my gf says thanks in advance for the dark theme. Qt3 in bed proves rather blinding when she’s trying to sleep! :-D

The wife agrees.

Love it.

21 posts were merged into an existing topic: Select your color theme preference for Discourse qt3

OK now that selectable color theme is in, and likes are active (for now) in the Grand Experiment, the to-do list here is pretty barren.

The ball is in @tomchick’s court on Patreon flair, the plugin is active, we just need it configured by someone who owns the API keys cough

Thanks for getting this implemented. The dark theme is a big improvement already, and it’ll be even better once there are some options that make the difference less stark (a la darcula)

I’d still love an omniview showing all threads that a) contain unread posts and b) I haven’t deliberately dismissed. I do most of my browsing from the Unread view and Suggested Topics, but have to consciously remember to go into New (to sort through actual new topics) and Latest (to try and catch when some thread from ten years ago has been necro’ed with interesting new posts).

Latest has everything I want, but it’s drowned out by noise. A variant of Latest that automatically hides fully read and Muted topics would be great. If we could get Suggested topics to pull from this instead of the current default, it would be even better.

And I still think there should be a thread tracking level in between normal and muted. I want to be able to make a topic never show up when casually browsing, without blocking @reply functionality should someone in that thread want to get my attention for some reason.

Edit: while typing that, I also had the theme suddenly freak out and go back to white, with the qt3 eyeball logo several times its normal size. But I refreshed and everything’s fine now.