Discourse Changes & Enhancements

Keep telling @stusser that. He mentioned lately how lonely he is now ;)

There’s a new update to Tapatalk and my gosh, they put Inbox as the priority focus … and what do I get in Inbox? Messages from Tapatalk recommending me topics to read from various forums. Topics that I am NOT even interested. What is wrong with them?

Jeff,

They’ll be adding that in in the near future as one of the last remaining items from the move itself.

Cool.

One question I have. Tom said something about being excited that the front page is integrated with the forum. But when I’m in the forum I see no button for the front page. So I have to revert it a bookmark or type in the clean qt3 link. I think you should have a button at the top of the forums so people who never go to the front page have an easy way to do it.

Looks like our posts got swapped around when they moved to this new thread, Jeff, so look up, uh, there :)

@ArmandoPenblade @jpinard Er… sorry for screwing up the move of your posts to another thread. They’re out of order. Lesson learned there with the mod UI.

Any word on themes?

Official support is on the cards, but 6-9 months development time away. You’ve seen the Stylish stuff a couple of people have put together?

That long? Thats a shame :-/ I guess I’ll have do other stuff , and then come back by then.

Yeah, I don’t do plugins, and have zero idea how to use css things.

There’s some great work going on here with a “stock” material design theme:

Some of the items in the first post wiki have a (cough) very low probability of happening. Others, less so. How should I tag these? I would use Emoji – there are some good ones for ratings – but… no emoji.

I’d prefer not to re-order the list as order could change for editing reasons and then the “odds of happening” ratings would be lost.

It’s pretty easy, really!

🌟🌟🌟⭐🌠

Just paste in some emoji 😅

Or use the ones you get on a hone keyboard.🐴💩

We actually convert those to image emoji when we hit them, so the presentation is the same on all platforms. Otherwise Android sees one (possibly very different) emoji, iOS users see another, Windows users see another. It’s platform dependent.

Why does this matter?

No such conversion is performed here since Emoji are disabled.

So, what does this mean? Are we likely to see official support for themes sooner rather than later? Or is this more on the admin side to more easily customise a deployment?

More on the admin side, but the more of this that happens, the easier it will be to plug in themes when the feature is available.

@wumpus @stusser I’ve gotten this error when trying to search a couple of times (once last night, once about a minute ago). I added Stusser to this because it might just be a server performance issue. At any rate, someone needs to give the hamsters more food or something!

Sidekiq, which processes background jobs, was restarted because it was consuming too much memory.

Which is odd because usually the sidekicks are the ones that are forgettable…

Any word on if/when we’ll get a black theme for browsing at night?