Discourse Changes & Enhancements

@JMR

Not being snarky, just no point in reinventing the wheel. If you search stylish/CSS/themes here (and in a couple of other threads), you’ll find relevant discussion.

Yes, I am aware as I was the one that collated the various theme/stylish posts in the How do I get Discourse to do X FAQ. But I could not be arsed linking to the FAQ again as this was something I had already discussed with Razgon, so I just reminded.

I was quoting your reply to show it to someone else who asked about this, not mocking you for an incomplete answer :-)

Sorry, my bad. Reading comprehension fail.

That small-ish and tiny amazon advertisement taking up the whole top page bothers me a lot.

I saw that that, when go to a category and scroll down, a thread will be briefly highlighted. Haven’t noticed this before. Is this a most-recent-thread-on-your-previous visit hint?

No, that marks the page transition, e.g. that’s the first topic in the next batch that just loaded as you scrolled down. If you press the back button from a topic, you will see the topic you just exited highlighted in the list, if it is visible.

I currently have this showing on my mobile view, where I assume the advertising should be displayed.

What an enhancement! Just kidding. We’re trying ad integration with some hiccups. Have a look at this thread for more info:

Thanks for including a button for the front page. I hope it will lead more people to check things out there!

Opinion about scrolling / “idea” about how to change discourse:

Theres a different way to handle scroll. I think.

The way it works now, you scroll to the top and then discourse load more post and add them. This change the size of the scrollbar, so you are not at the top anymore. This don’t happen smoothly, it depends on the post height, the network timing and others factors, is a random delay, and sometimes many combined. Is dirty. It don’t have a good feeling to it. Like dragging a dog to walk that don’t want to walk.

Theres a alternative to this, but it comes with a problem that perhaps can’t be solved. It would be making the page height the same of the real page height if all content where loaded. So If you click in the scrollbard in the middle, and the thread had 100 post, you would be reading the post nº50, as fast has it can load.

The problem with this is to know the post height. Theres 1 million different variables (maybe more) that can affect the final height. And it happens in a hostile enviroment, so you can’t have the clientside simply tell you the height (or can you?).
Anyway you can sort of try to predict it, or use a flawed way to calculate size, then the scrollbar can be corrected in real time, by using in the calculations the final size of the stuff you actually render on the screen.

With a lot of trickery, it would be posible to fake a very long page that is just mostly empty divs, except the divs with the actual content (the stuff you are looking at).

Sorry if this useless garble. I had to share it.

By looking at the scroll bar of this post, it shows 151/151. So if I click the middle of this post, I would expect it to be around post number 70-ish. Because it shows the total post, I am already able to do some approximation. Don’t think you need the scroll bar to the be same length as the page height, do you?

Considering scroll bars are barely visible in modern OS X and iOS – check for yourself if you don’t believe me – I don’t feel scroll bar perfect-ness is really required on modern web.

I believe it is similar on Android too.

Well, is true. Modern OS’s and modern browser are killing the scrollbar by making it supersmallish. I guest a lot of people don’t use it?

My idea is less interesting if people really don’t use the scrollbar. Something I did not noticed, because I use it a lot.

@Teiman!

Goddamn it man, belly up to scroll bar and have another (post) on me!

I could make a simulation to show what I was talking about. Because quite obviously nobody undertand me. But I am too lazy and I have to walk 5km to hatch a egg in Pokemon Go.

Nah, I get what you’re saying Teiman, and it does drive me a little nuts, but the timeline bar just has to do in this particular pinch.

I know what you mean Teiman, I’m just teasing. Belly up to the bar is what we say when it’s time to have a drink at the bar (Here I mean the bar where you go to have a drink, not the … ah, scroll bar. That was my lame joke!)

hahha, lol. haha.

:)

The old forums are now disabled, kaput. Welcome to the new forums!

Ulp. First Qt3 on vBulletin, and soon the VHS.