Discourse: Problem with embedded video using Chrome

Does anyone else have issues with maximizing embedded Youtube videos in a post? I get this both on my Android device as well as my PC.

Basically, if someone posts a Youtube video in a thread (see this No Man’s Sky post) I can view the video fine in it’s embedded form but as soon as I try to go Fullscreen it fails. It flashes fullscreen for just a split second, then the thread appears to reload and it starts to play in it’s smaller embedded form.

I’m using Chrome on both my PC and phone. Does anyone else have this issue or is it only me?

EDIT: Strange, I gave up on Fullscreen and hit the Youtube button to watch it externally in another tab. Now I can go back to the thread and get Fullscreen to work correctly, but it failed on the 4-5 attempts prior to that.

EDIT EDIT: Actually, I can get Fullscreen to work correctly if I get to the post by following the link I posted above. If I just go to Qt3, enter the No Man’s Sky thread and try it from there, Fullscreen doesn’t work for me.

Unfortunately this is a magical Chrome bug that cannot be worked around except by other websites that aren’t this one ;)

Just to be fair to ol’ @wumpus here, according to the Chrome bugpost someone else links upthread of where I linked, this is supposedly happening on other platforms other than Discourse. Just because I’ve never experienced it elsewhere but consistently do while using Discourse doesn’t mean it’s a Discourse-unique bug, meanspirited text above notwithstanding ;)

There was some discussion of this in another thread somewhere.

What I do is start the video playing, then quickly click the “YouTube” link in the bottom right. That opens up a new tab with the video. I then fullscreen that one, and then I go to town. It’s admittedly a little clunky to do this, but it works.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I can work around it in the manner than Charlatan describes, I just wanted to make sure there wasn’t something I could fix on my end. Pretty strange that it works fine when I access it using the link in my original post. But, ya know, bugs be buggin’, yo.

I noticed this as well but I’ve already gotten into the habit of ctrl-clicking the YouTube icon on other sites because most of the time the full-screen icon isn’t even available to click on. Now I understand why (it’s buggy).

I would advise Wumpus to disable the full-screen button for Chrome users until this is sorted out.

Just an FYI, you don’t need to click to get the video to play and get access to the Youtube button in order to open it in a new window/tab. The embedding puts a clickable header you can access immediately. This is what I use to open all vids in a new window to avoid the Chrome issue.

I’ll just note that the bug is present in Safari as well.

And IE 11, but that’s likely just a note to myself, as I believe I’m the only one here using it.

But yeah, happens there as well.

So…not a Chrome specific bug?

I have an issue where if I hit fullscreen, then switch back after it ends, then Discourse throws me usually 1/3rd of the way up the entire thread. Pretty disconcerting to lose my place in the thread.

Yeah, that’s what the discussion above is about. Theoretically it’s a Chrome bug, though it doesn’t really seem to happen to me w/ other websites’ Youtube embeds, soooo. . . ?

I run into the no fullscreen youtube vids issue all the time, and not just with Discourse.

My complaint is not that it doesn’t work (it sometimes does on discourse for me) but that it tosses me randomly back up the page whether it works or not. Which obviously may be related, but I didn’t see anybody else mention it in the thread, maybe I missed it?