Discworld - Where to start?

The Discworld Reading Order Guide

The Colour of Magic (2008)

Haven’t watched, looking forward to it. Channel 255 on Directv. Airs March 22, 2009 at 7 PM eastern for the Americans.

But…Sean Astin can’t play Twoflower! Twoflower is Asian! Is he from the Great White China Of The Disc?

Finished the Colour of Magic finally, it was a quick read. Which is good, because I am not sure how much more I could have stood. Couple of funny parts but for the most part it was prototypical fantasy drek that I didn’t think was saved by a sense of humor. Not by any means terrible, but imminently skippable.

Can’t say you guys didn’t warn me. Small Gods is next after I cleanse my palette with a few other unrelated books.

Palate! And yes, you were warned. There are a few that are definitely avoidable, but Small Gods should perk you right up.

Reading Moving Pictures right now myself and it’s the closest to a groaner I’ve come across yet. The whole Hollywood parody seems really out of place. I want another City Watch story!

Interesting Times is a good one also.

That’s still early Pratchett, yeah. I think Soul Music is in the same vein, but worse.

Small Gods is one of my favourites, the early witches are great, as are most of the Guards-related ones.

Actually, to be honest, I can enjoy pretty much all of them. They are perfect plane books and I enjoy Pratchett’s “philosophy” in general :)

The BBC is reportedly adapting Discworld for TV

They’ve done a couple of Discworld miniseries already, I had thought.

I don’t believe so, but I could be wrong. The article mentions them having done Good Omens though, for airing next year.

Hogfather was done on TV, of course. But not by BBC.

A few have been done.

I’ve seen The Hogfather and The Colour of Magic. Oddly enough, both had David Jason in different roles.

Ah, right, I sometimes forget not all British TV is made by the BBC.

To be fair, Channel 4 is particularly confusing. It’s owned by the government, but it airs ads and is not materially subsidised. It ostensibly has a public service remit (it was founded to increase diversity in TV and be more youth-oriented than the BBC), but in practice it mostly shows reality crap and gross out/lewd “documentaries” these days.

This thread prompted me to re-read the entire Discworld ouevre, after I finish my current series. Love it so much.

Holy geez, that’s like fifty books or something at this point. Still, I keep planning to reread Patrick O’Brien’s Aubrey and Maturin books, so I guess I can’t talk.

It’s a lot, but they’re incredibly fast reads! Can easily get through 6-7 discworld novels a week.

I scanned and nobody mentioned the best book to start reading could possibly be Guards Guards, as it intros the City Watch series.

Rincewind is pretty boring imo.