Disenchantment from Matt Groening (Simpsons, Futurama)

Matt Groening creator of the Simpsons and Futurama has signed a 20 episode contract with Netflix. The show will focus on a dysfunctional medieval kingdom:

In Disenchantment, viewers will be whisked away to the crumbling medieval kingdom of Dreamland, where they will follow the misadventures of hard-drinking young princess Bean, her feisty elf companion Elfo, and her personal demon Luci. Along the way, the oddball trio will encounter ogres, sprites, harpies, imps, trolls, walruses, and lots of human fools.

“Ultimately," says Matt Groening, “Disenchantment will be about life and death, love and sex, and how to keep laughing in a world full of suffering and idiots, despite what the elders and wizards and other jerks tell you.”

Well, I’m in.

Could this fill the gaping hole in my heart left by the cancellation of Korgoth of Barbaria?

Probably not, but I’m sure it will be good anyway!

Groening goes geek again. Should pay off big.

Futurama in the Fantasy land is a pitch I can support. On Netflix so I’ll definitely give a look

Does this mean we can get Dan Harmon going fantasy in a decade or two? Cuz I could go for that, as well. . .

I’d watch a Dan Harmon show that is centered around a group of lovable misfits that play DnD. Man, someone get him on the phone!

Just to double-check, but, uh. . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cuqqHGpRDE

(it is possible I am missing your sarcasm :) )

But no, for fucking real, I had never heard of this, thank you!!

Watch it on Seeso while you still can!

Or, you know, just listen to the podcast, since they’re doing the roleplaying again.

Good timing to get into Harmonquest, too: the second season starts Thursday.

I suppose I’m in for this, as a huge Futurama fan, although the Bender’s Game movie was pretty lackluster. I’m not sure how rich the vein for comedy is here that hasn’t been mined already, and I’m skeptical of trying to reproduce the chemistry of the main Futurama trio so directly.

I’m worried it will feel like a Family Guy / American Dad situation, which Simpsons / Futurama avoided by having a very different dynamic within the main character “family”. That being said, I think Groening is generally more talented than MacFarlane, so I have some confidence, but how much of Futurama’s success was Groening and how much was the other producers (David X Cohen, et al.)?

Now I’m sad…

But I do get to link “Like a rainbow”!

Oh wow, first I’ve heard of this and I really enjoyed it. Cheers Penblade!

I live to serve!

…delicious food!

Oh, that reminds me.

I wouldn’t blame the fantasy setting too much for that. The writing for Futurama after the revival was just lackluster overall until basically the last two seasons on Comedy Central.

Hi everybody! Admit it, you totally forgot about this, because I did. But here’s a teaser for you -

Trailer released:

Well … ok.

I mean, I’ll watch it, how could I not? But I’m not really feeling it.