Disenchantment from Matt Groening (Simpsons, Futurama)

Really? I laughed pretty hard at several points watching that. I might be more easily entertained admittedly.

That was…actually slightly better than I expected. Enthusiasm…rising slightly.

I will confess that I have a brain thing that makes me simultaneously yawn and roll my eyes when I see D&D type tropes which may be a factor. That said, I didn’t laugh at all with that trailer. I’m open to being convinced otherwise.

I’m squarely in the middle on that. The trailer itself didn’t do much for me, but those things aren’t necessarily a good indicator. Besides, early Simpsons and Futurama bought enough goodwill from me to check it out.

When Groening first launched Futurama, I thought it looked dumb as hell and no way could it match the brilliance of The Simpsons.

So I will set my doubts aside and give it a season or three.

Anyone watching this? It just dropped on Netflix.

After four episodes in I could take it or leave it. There have been a few jokes that made me laugh out loud, and were really reminiscent of futurama. There are some really excruciating scenes though, that make you wonder if they really did sit down and think someone could find it funny. The setting is ok I guess, but by putting themselves in such a narrow genre I don’t think they can be as creative as they could in a completely new science fiction setting. I’ll probably keep watching because I want to have faith.

Yeah, this is okay at best. Two episodes in, not sure it’s worth any more. Nothing here that hasn’t been done better in Futurama.

The guy who voiced a certain “substitute” was totally the young womanizing socially clueless idiot boss from The IT Crowd, right? Had to be him.

Matt Berry and yes, I noticed him in the opening credits.

Yeah, I looked him up. That voice and its mannerisms are unmistakable.

As to the series, I’m 4 episodes in and really liking it. Abbi Jacobson is fantastic as Bean, as are Eric Andre and Nat Faxon in their roles. I love John DiMaggio in just about anything since his turn as Bender. Here he’s re-purposing the “youse guys” voice from the stereotypical hardhat workers in Futurama. Whom is Billy West playing? The Mage or the Bishop?

My problem with Disenchantment is that the humor is obviously intended for adults but it doesn’t go far enough. It doesn’t have the sharp bite, twisted gore and adult language of Rick and Morty Instead it sits in this awkward space between The Simpsons and Rick and Morty. It should have chosen one or the other (for kids or for adults) and embraced it.

The production values and the animation are decent - they’ve definitely spent some money here. Unfortunately the writing is mostly awful (so far).However, I’ll give it a few more episodes and hopefully it’ll get better.

EDIT:
I just realized…
Disenchantment feels old compared to Rick and Morty or Bojack Horseman. It feels like a show from 10 years ago, it feels dated.

I thought the first two episodes seemed a bit weak, but it’s thankfully started to pick up since then.

It will have to get a whole lot better to keep my attention. It feels to me like they are trying too hard.

I made it to episode 4 and then gave up.
Verdict: pretty awful.

10 episodes in the first season and 7 are pretty much filler. Like series killing filler. The last three episodes are not bad, with some semblance of something interesting actually happening. The smattering of backstory you need to grok those last three episodes is interspersed amongst the other seven episodes of dreary, mostly boring character backstory and very average, uncreative and predictable, jokes. @draxen has it right, the writing and delivery just feels dated.

I really liked episode 7 (the girlfriend one) and was enjoying 8 but fell asleep because it was late. I don’t know, for me it still has some charm.

Feels weird how little interest I have in even watching this, given how much I love Futurama and The Simpsons. I just don’t care much for the whole fantasy genre, but you guys telling me how blah it is really isn’t helping either.

Just finished ep 08 and I’m enjoying it. Not sure what would make it “awful” as there seems to be nothing really bad about it. At worst, it’s not super funny all the time. But I’m enjoying it so far and getting several chuckles per episode, which is all I ever ask from my comedies.

I watched episode 1 as an avid Futurama fan (and former Simpsons fan), and I have no particular desire to watch any more. It’s not terrible, it’s just not very good. I may get round to giving it more of a shot, as Groening’s establishing episodes can often be ropey, but I’m not in any rush, especially since I can finally watch Archer season 9.

OK, episode 9 just got real. Wow.

BTW the voice actor doing Elfo’s dad did a great impression of Walter Brennan .

And episode 10 has a big reveal and leaves you wanting more. I hope we don’t have to wait too long for it.