Disgaea coming to the 2nd last platform you'd expect...PC!

What is everyone’s favorite Disagaea game? I haven’t played one since the first, and never finished it.

Would it be cheating to say Disgaea Infinite? :P

Cheating is just what’s expected of an honor student, you’re fine!

I can’t recall which of 3 or 4 I liked more. I’m not really there for the stories. 4’s evilities were a swell idea. I would chose 3 or 4 as my favorite.

Reading more about 5 it sounds like it has added some much needed features. The “move anywhere in the movement zone before committing an action” is pretty great. But I saw references to an “innocent warehouse”, which the game badly needed. And I think some of the principles they’re shooting for with the revised item leveling system are probably pretty good. Not sure if I will like the execution or not.

I’m really enjoying 5. They’ve taken a hard look at each of the game’s systems. Where things didn’t make sense, they’ve been revised.

An example: Previously, the efficient way (and therefore correct way) to tackle the item world was to blitz through it as fast as possible. You would ignore all enemies short of Innocents, ignore events like pirates, skip treasure chests, ignore geo-panels, etc. Equip a bunch of hyperdrives on your flying character and drive straight for the hole, every time! By tying item level to the bonus gauge, they encourage you to engage with all of those systems. I now even hit the prop objects to ring up more bonus gauge.

Another example: You can have a truly prodigious number of characters on your team. In earlier games, there was no incentive to go beyond the 10 you use for combat scenarios. Anyone beyond those would just fall behind in leveling and rapidly become detritus that just costs time when you were managing equipment. In Disgaea 5 you have other netherworlds to explore, and you can dispatch characters to explore them without you. I currently have a team of over 40 characters, and my NW explorers have begun to outlevel my main team.

I admit that the more I read, the more intrigued I get. Though I forgot there was a warehouse previously, the fact that you can apparently grow innocents in this game’s version sounds promising!

Also, I went crazy and ordered Disgaea Dimensions something 2, which was the game after 4 and before this. I may even play that first. Hearing this game borrows or builds on a lot from that DD2.

An example: Previously, the efficient way (and therefore correct way) to tackle the item world was to blitz through it as fast as possible. You would ignore all enemies short of Innocents, ignore events like pirates, skip treasure chests, ignore geo-panels, etc. Equip a bunch of hyperdrives on your flying character and drive straight for the hole, every time! By tying item level to the bonus gauge, they encourage you to engage with all of those systems. I now even hit the prop objects to ring up more bonus gauge.

So my only worry here is that if this is like the old system, it’s going to get old having to go through that many floors in a more deliberate fashion. Of course the Sage skill can probably be boosted in ways to make it reliable and hard hitting and thus “ok, another clear”. And since tiem level is no longer tied to the floors, it sounds like this really is a different world. But philosophically I like the idea of growing the item through engaging the mechanics (as you say), as opposed to sprinting through them. I like that pulling of awesome geo combos (time consuming but satisfying) is now something I can do to get item levels. In fact that sounds just great.

Another example: You can have a truly prodigious number of characters on your team. In earlier games, there was no incentive to go beyond the 10 you use for combat scenarios. Anyone beyond those would just fall behind in leveling and rapidly become detritus that just costs time when you were managing equipment. In Disgaea 5 you have other netherworlds to explore, and you can dispatch characters to explore them without you. I currently have a team of over 40 characters, and my NW explorers have begun to outlevel my main team.

Reading about the “team” mechanics (or whatever the groups you unlock and level, sound like 3’s homerooms) also sounds interesting. And like you’ll eventually want to have as many monsters being interrogated as possible at a given time. The neverworld stuff sounds really interesting. The new item leveling makes more sense to me now that I’ve looked into it.

I’m pretty excited, and I’ll have it in my hands soon. So much to do!

I admit that the more I read, the more intrigued I get. Though I forgot there was a warehouse previously, the fact that you can apparently grow innocents in this game’s version sounds promising!

Also, I went crazy and ordered Disgaea Dimensions something 2, which was the game after 4 and before this. I may even play that first. Hearing this game borrows or builds on a lot from that DD2.

So my only worry here is that if this is like the old system, it’s going to get old having to go through that many floors in a more deliberate fashion. Of course the Sage skill can probably be boosted in ways to make it reliable and hard hitting and thus “ok, another clear”. And since item level is no longer tied directly to the floors, it sounds like this really is a different world. But philosophically I like the idea of growing the item through engaging the mechanics (as you say), as opposed to sprinting through them. I like that pulling of awesome geo combos (time consuming but satisfying) is now something I can do to get item levels. In fact that sounds just great.

Reading about the “team” mechanics (or whatever the groups you unlock and level, sound like 3’s homerooms) also sounds interesting. And like you’ll eventually want to have as many monsters being interrogated as possible at a given time. The neverworld stuff sounds really interesting. The new item leveling makes more sense to me now that I’ve looked into it.

I’m pretty excited, and I’ll have it in my hands soon. So much to do!

I’ve got 4 on the vita. Guess I can’t go wrong firing it up. Hopefully the tutorial isn’t too long.

Any general tips? Stuff like - just stick with 3 fighters, a healer, and a mage for the first 20 levels rather than playing around with other classes. Or archers suck. Or don’t worry about the item world or some other crazy system until you are level 50.

Have you played any others? I can’t recall the specific classes in 4 (they tweak them game to game), but fist users are very powerful. Fists get atk and speed stats. More speed = more dodging and the like. Fist users, and classes inclined towards fist weapons, have a grand old time in Disgaea. So ninjas e.g. are super awesome. Ninjas also have higher base move/jumpiness than the average class, which is really useful. You want to unlock Ninjas asap.

Ranged characters I feel like take a bit more to get going in the game. But any class can be powerful over time. Do stick to a small core of characters; the fewer on a map at a time, the more exp. Don’t go crazy, but you should quickly settle in to a “core” group of say 4-8 characters.

Disgaea series was 1 of 3 games that encouraged me to get a PS3. Valkyria Chronicles was another. Both of these are now (or soon) coming to PC.

The 3rd game was Hot Shots Golf. I would love to see that one ported to PC as well!

You don’t need to buy new weapons at all. Enemies will drop more than enough of them. You might need to buy new armor occasionally.
Get a thief. Stealing is important in this game.
Remember that you can jump around when walking in your base…at the beginning of each chapter, hunt around your base for treasure chests.
Although the game requires you to do item world just once, consider going further if you have the time and the levels, because a levelled up weapon can be more powerful than normal weapons you can buy for several chapters.
Go ahead and repeat levels to grind a little. When you find a level that seems to be easy to grind, go to the cheat settings and level up the enemies to grind for more xp.
Don’t bother grinding for innocents until later, maybe much later.

Pay attention to the innocents on your items. They are stat boosters that you can find in potentially any object. Be on the lookout for Statisticians, particularly. They increase your XP gain (1% boost per level of the statistician). Go through the item worlds of those objects when you are able to find those innocents. A subdued (read: killed) innocent yields double the bonus. Get as many statisticians as you can. Each one can be leveled up to 300, and you can carry any number per character. A character with lots of statisticians will level at a fearsome pace.

I’M MOVING ONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN MOVING SO FAR AWAY

I gotta mute that soon.

So far I’m in chapter 3 and really enjoying what I see in the game. The quests vedor seems like a decent idea. I like that it points you to early class unlocks. I can’t recall if diagonal throwing had previously been officially incorporated into the game but if it hadn’t I am glad it finally was. Collected my first 3 revenge mode kill shard thingies. I need to take a look at the mechanics, but I’m wonderinf it the stats you gain from them keep through reincarnation?

Unfortunately I am experiencing some technical difficulties that are probably ps4 or hdmi cable related. I’ll attempt to figure this out later (watching El Classico now).

All shard stats you gain stay through reincarnation.

Note this is not like previous Disgaeas, you don’t reincarnate endlessly.
I don’t want to spoil things, but make sure you set a class for your named characters. Class XP is important.

How do I set a class for my named characters? Or is that somewthing I need to unlock via story progression?

Also, what does it mean when an innocent on an item has a star on its symbol?

To set a class you go to Congress. Note that last star takes a VERY long time to get. You may consider swapping to other classes instead of going for the last one unless you want one particular one. Remember when I said you don’t need to reincarnate endlessly now? When you reincarnate the bonus stars achieved makes a very large portion of the bonus points you’ll receive.

The star symbol means it’s ‘mature’ and can no longer grow in an innocent farm. I believe only mature innocents can breed, but I am not sure on that. Innocents are not as important as before. Rather, they don’t make up most of the stats in an item in the endgame. You can ignore this as you level and get what you need.

Professionals are still important, but they do not give crit chance anymore. They increase crit magnitude. As for statisticians, they cap at 300 and only 1 stack.

I unlocked congress the very next story mission. Am I correct that setting sub classes on regular characters doesn’t do anything?

What does making interrogated prisoners into citizens do? I’ve only done it once, but I don’t even see the guy in the netherworld area I can walk around in.

So, I’m up to the ice world chapter with maybe 7-8 runs through the item world (in blocks of 10, natch). The small level size - I think I’ve seen two floors that weren’t boss floors or special floors that I wouldn’t call “tiny” - is really a drag so far. I miss the varying sizes and elevations of previous games.

I think I am enjoying interrogation the most among new mechanics. But the research is pretty good. What has to happen in the research screen for me to be able to do the other options? They are all still grayed out.

Yeah, most maps are a lot easier than the other maps. There’s maps later that remind me of the older tricky maps.

Making prisoners into CITIZENS seems to do absolutely nothing except for that one quest.

Ok to interrogate you need to appoint people to that position. Stats/level of the interrogator affect ability. If they are too low you’ll do 0 dmg. I don’t remember what you do to unlock options, I started playing at release and burned through a lot of stuff.

Ok, why you interrogate. The left button (square?) lets you turn prisoners into elixirs. You drink elixirs to gain stat gains. This is not as important right now. What you want to do is because interrogated/subdued prisoners count double/triple for leveling up your Squads. That’s right, squads can be leveled up! It’s easy to miss.

That’s where I’ve been putting prisoners: into squad leveling.