Disgruntled LucasArts ex-employees reveal unannounced games

http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=28263

KOTOR 3 in the MMO genre is awful, awful news, assuming it’s accurate. Another LEGO Indy? What’s left to do other than Crystal Skull?

I still think LucasArts could be a great company if it could find a good leader. What the hell happened to the company that gave us Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, and The Dig?

KOTOR 3 MMO means i may actually go back to playing MMOs. It’s awesome news. It means you can play a Jedi or a Sith in an MMO without breaking canon. Fucking fantastic if it’s true. It’s not because “according to reports” always means “according to some emails i got sent from someone’s hotmail account.”

EDIT: People would no longer buy Grim Fandango, The Dig, and the Monkey Island games. There are companies out there trying to clone those games and are getting nowhere.

Matt, you’re high. Being able to facilitate communications and terminate hostilities as a Hunter Killer droid would be the most fantastic thing possible in any MMO.

Dreamfall.

Taking the best Star Wars games ever made and turning them into a retarded Galaxies clone is not “fucking fantastic.” It’s fucking stupid. As for canon, the instant you’re not watching one of the movies, you’re out of canon. I’d rather be told another great single player story than have to listen to “JEDI CONSULAR LFG 4 DANTOOINE”

EDIT: People would no longer buy Grim Fandango, The Dig, and the Monkey Island games. There are companies out there trying to clone those games and are getting nowhere.

Their lack of success couldn’t possibly be due to the fact that the clones are absolute shit.

Oh no! If only they were planning on making it good, and perhaps not modeling it after one of the worst MMO failures of all time!

How many fucking head injuries do you have to sustain before you think that a Star Wars MMO couldn’t possibly improve upon Galaxies?

Yeah, that series is doing so well that the next one isn’t even being worked on yet.

It’s not quite that simple. Lucas occasionally adopts things into the “canon.” KOTOR 1 is reportedly one of those that he did.

I’d prefer to see a single player game wrap up the KOTOR storyline, but if it’s an MMO I’m going to at least see what they are doing. It may very well be crap, but then again Bioware has no track-record on MMO’s, do they?

How many fucking head injuries do you have to sustain before you think “improve on Galaxies” is preferable to “improve on KOTOR”?

If they have that much money to burn, they’re welcome to give the old MMO chestnut another shot, but I see no reason they should cannibalize one of their best franchises to do so.

KOTOR is secondary canon, just like everything else in the EU. The movies, movie novelizations, and radio dramas are canon. Everything else is in a sort of semi-canon limbo. KOTOR is simply safer than most Expanded Universe stuff because Lucas is highly unlikely to make any further movies or new TV shows that deal with that time period.

Ragnar Tornquist already has a history of swapping back and forth between his adventure series and MMOs.

There’s also no real way to discount the success of the Phoenix Wright games for DS. They’re even closer to traditional adventures than Dreamfall is.

Worst news ever. How the hell is Kotor 3 as an MMO even Kotor 3? It’s a Kotor MMO.

How is it an old chestnut to Bioware, who have never produced an MMO? They made it clear a while back that they were looking to break new ground. That’s why they got away from the D&D and Star Wars licenses and focused on original IP. They’ve got a few projects in the pipe as well that utilize licenses, but they’re still new territory for them in one way or another (a portable title, an MMO). They weren’t interested in developing KotOR 2, so why would they want to do a straight sequel now?

I have no inside information whatsoever, but I bet you that if they were not making this, they’d have those people on another MMO, not a SP KotOR sequel.

I meant LucasArts, as clearly the seed of a Star Wars MMO must originate with them first.

They made it clear a while back that they were looking to break new ground. That’s why they got away from the D&D and Star Wars licenses and focused on original IP.

So they could make Dragon Age and a KOTOR MMO. Gotcha.

They weren’t interested in developing KotOR 2, so why would they want to do a straight sequel now?

You seem to assume that I require a KOTOR sequel to be made by BioWare. BioWare is in no way part of the equation for me.

I have no inside information whatsoever, but I bet you that if they were not making this, they’d have those people on another MMO, not a SP KotOR sequel.

Great. I don’t care what BioWare is doing one way or the other, I’d rather have a proper KOTOR 3 and not an MMO spinoff. Using the property in this manner probably means there will never be a KOTOR 3, and at best it’s half a decade or more off. Maybe they’ll come up with something golden for the MMO, but it still is no replacement for the end to the story they set up in 1 and that was hinted at continuing in 2.

What does that mean? If you mean what you seem to say, then the same argument could be made for KOTOR 1.

Great. I don’t care what BioWare is doing one way or the other, I’d rather have a proper KOTOR 3 and not an MMO spinoff. Using the property in this manner probably means there will never be a KOTOR 3, and at best it’s half a decade or more off. Maybe they’ll come up with something golden for the MMO, but it still is no replacement for the end to the story they set up in 1 and that was hinted at continuing in 2.

I tend to think you are right, but on the other hand MMO’s are starting to do a better job of telling an epic story in the midst of the grinding and leveling. For example, an Old Republic themed MMO could have instances where the story is advanced.

That’s not what I would prefer, mind you, but if that’s all we’re going to get then it’s better than nothing.

Besides, just because Bioware is doing an Old Republic MMO doesn’t mean its meant to continue the KOTOR storyline. We’ll have to see what they intend when it’s announced officially.

Exactly, which is why I said BioWare isn’t part of the equation. They never even would have made KOTOR if LucasArts hadn’t called them up and said “Hey, want to do a Star Wars RPG?”

I’d actually say that this is a misperception. There’s still an audience for adventure games out there. It’s just that the genre didn’t grow like the shooter, RTS and sports genres in the past 15 years. It’s possible to make a living of adventures - see Telltale and a bunch of European companies like Deck 13 - it’s just that you’re not going to sell as much copies or get as much attention as let’s say Gears of War.

-Julian

In passing re: adventure death. You know that Agatha Cristy adventure which generally is ignored by PC sorts? Selling impressively well in the UK, apparently. On the Wii.

KG

Out of curiosity, what’s the last adventure game you’ve played?

I’m shocked that this comes as news to anyone on this board. I thought the Bioware KOTOR MMO was the worst kept secret in gaming.

I just ranted about how wrong the claim that adventure games are dead is in the other LucasArts thread. I’ll spare everyone a second one, but adventure games Are Not Dead, not by a long shot.