Dishonored 2 - Nov 2016

I’m glad I restarted my low-chaos Emily playthrough. I’ve discovered a ton of stuff I missed initially, and I’ve been much happier focusing my spending of runes on Shadow Walk and Domino.

Played a bit in to lvl 2 as a high chaos Emily. Going to restart as a high chaos Corvo and then maybe do a low chaos Emily. High chaos is way too much fun.

Great, so there’s a new beta patch - 1.2 - and it’s another 6GB!

Hope this one does the trick! ;)

[details=Expand for 1.2 overview]* General performance and optimization improvements

• Auto-detection of the Visual settings was re-worked based on player feedback and observed issues. If still experiencing issues after updating drivers and downloading patch 1.2, advise using the “Restore Settings” option to apply the recommended settings for your hardware.
  • Max pre-rendered frames is now managed by the game, advise removing any previous manual customizations in graphics driver control panel
  • Fixes multiple issues related to game logic
  • Fixed various issues related to user interface
  • Fixed various issues related to mouse/KB and gamepad
  • Fixed various issues related to using alt-tab related bugs
  • Fixed various issues related to multiple monitors
  • Added new settings in the Options menu:
  • Added a Framerate Limiter so the player can limit framerate fluctuation when playing without V-sync
  • Added TAA Sharpness option
  • Added more options to V-Sync settings
  • If you had previously disabled V-sync, please check your FPS limiter setting to ensure it is set to your desired limit.
  • Added Triple Buffering option

Performance

• Reduced framerate stuttering
  • Added a customizable FPS limiter to reduce the fluctuation
  • Framerate capped at 120 FPS to prevent physics issues which occur only above 120fps
  • Max pre-rendered frames is now managed by the game
  • Adjusted Texture Details settings to make a significant visual and performance change
  • Fixed a bug where AMD GPU experienced huge framerate drops when there is cloth simulation in the environment
  • Adjusted ocean settings for perf improvement
  • Added frequency in V-sync UI
  • Fixed a bug where VRAM usage was higher than available VRAM
  • Fixed a bug where auto-detected settings were set too high for certain hardware
  • Added HBAO+ support for AMD GPUs
  • Fixed a bug where turning HBAO+ ON created some bad shadowing on player’s hands
  • Removed Environment Details settings as it was strongly tied to View Distance
  • Removed Fog Quality settings as it was not impacting the visuals or providing performance advantage
  • Adjusted auto detected settings for R9 290X2
  • Fixed a bug where Water Quality settings was only impacting ocean, not canals or pools
  • Improved CPU cores utilization on high and low-end machines[/details]

See below for the full notes:
https://beta-community.bethesda.net/topic/8618/dishonored-2-pc-beta-update-1-2

I actually started a second play through for this, Emily/High Chaos, and it’s been just a ton of fun. I’m updating to the latest patch now, so if it finished before I need to get to the office I’ll jump in with vsync off and see what my frames look like. Currently I see a steady 60 with vsync on but it dips as low as 40+ occasionally.

EDIT - I see the download is 4.3GB and not 6GB, fwiw

EDIT2 - Wow, that’s impressive. I jacked everything up (the visual options seem to have changed with new ways to tailor the settings) including triple buffering (I don’t think I had that on before, or it wasn’t an option) and even running up and down an alley into an open area I was getting between 75-105 FPS. It’s really smooth, I don’t think folks will have much to complain about here, once the patch goes live.

Except me, as it hasn’t made a hell of a lot of difference! :)

The frame rates seem a bit better, but there are still micro-stutters when turning, or problem with screen refresh using gsync.

Frame rate is crazy variable, I can stand in one spot without touching the controls and it can fluctuate +/- 10 fps. That’s ridiculous. In places I can’t maintain 60 even testing at 720p/Very Low, on a 980ti. The engine does not scale well. Or maybe this game just needs Pascal?!

Things are better when I lock to 60, but still nothing like the glorious smoothness of other games atm like Titanfall/Shadow Warrior 2. Ah well.

What kind of CPU or amount of RAM do you have? I have problems with The Crew and I think it’s due to my aging first generation i7 as opposed to me GTX 970 video card.

CPU is the older part of my system but it’s not that under powered as far as I understand.

Intel Core i5-4670 (Haswell-DT, C0)
3400 MHz (34.00x100.0) @ 3691 MHz (37.00x99.8)

16384 MBytes @ 798 MHz, 9-9-9-24
- 8192 MB PC12800 DDR3 SDRAM - Corsair CMY16GX3M2A1600C9
- 8192 MB PC12800 DDR3 SDRAM - Corsair CMY16GX3M2A1600C9

But yeah I also found The Crew a bit CPU limited.

Yeah, that CPU doesn’t seem like it would be a problem and you have more than enough RAM.

New patch is a definite improvement, getting 50-60FPS at 4k UHD with a GTX 1080.

Dove into Bonecharm crafting, and since I’m doing a Low Chaos / Ghost Emily run, that means the first thing I crafted was a 4 X Strong Arms that reduced the amount of time it takes to choke someone out. It was great in the first Dishonored. However, seems they broke Strong Arms in the 1.1 patch, and it remains broken…

https://twitter.com/Harvey1966/status/798429697352826881

Hmm. Whoops!

I never got a strong arms charm to break down, although I really wanted one. Guess not so much now!

The stealth in this game feels far, far more finicky than in the first.I feel like I’m often getting spotted at times (due to range, height, using Shadow Walk, etc) where I feel like I should be hidden. Also, I don’t know how many times I’ve had to re-load because a drop attack wasn’t lined up just right.

That said, I’m having an enormous amount of fun stacking piles of unconscious bodies in chandeliers, leaving an empty liquor bottle or two, and imagining the awkward conversations that would ensue the following day.

Far Reach seems more twitchy as well. I miss the ability (when playing as Emily, at least) to pause the game when aiming my jumps.

You can’t pause, but it does seem to have much greater range, and can also pull in items or even enemies to knock them out at a distance. Tradeoffs.

Overall, I felt like there were some amazing moments, but it’s not as strong as Dishonored 1. The non-lethal powers are great additions but it feels like most spaces have been padded out with too many guards rather than carefully placing a few an intelligent way, which isn’t helped by the finicky stealth system.

The stand out level was the Karnaca port. What a marvel! Clockwork Mansion and Stilton’s estate were very good, too. Unfortunately, the rest of the levels are inconsistent and don’t stack up. The pre-mission exploration hubs tended to detract from the pacing. The Dreadful Wale is a step down from the Houndpits Pub, offering few moments for eavesdropping, environmental storytelling, or player-motivated discovery.

The story was easily the weakest aspect of the game. Not only is it boring and presented in an entirely unconvincing way, it’s a re-tread of the first game’s dlc. The setup is one of the worst in recent memory, failing to establish or maintain any kind of emotional bond between the characters. The VO for the leads is wooden (hammy at the best of times), with Emily, Corvo and the Outsider feeling far less developed in the sequel than they did in the first game. It really detracts from all the neat world-building they pull of with the environment. Art direction is top-notch, though and the new powers, especially domino, are really great to experiment with.

I wish I could opt-out of the bullshit lore and just pick and chose whatever powers I want. It would be fantastic to use blink and domino combo at the same time.

So what’s the consensus on which version is best, console or PC? Amazon has both the PS4 and boxed PC copy on sale for $35 and I’m torn on which to get. How does the PS4 version perform, any issues?

Depends on what PC you have.

Well I’ve got an i5/1070 but I’ve heard the PC version is a little rough.

So at the end of the fourth mission I return to black market shop, and it’s only then do I realize the blueprints screen has multiple pages… :-/ No wonder I had so much gold.

Wait–what?

You guys didn’t know that all your weapons have blueprint upgrades? :O