Dishonored 2 - Nov 2016

LOL it actually never occurred to me to try it with a controller!

I just did the tutorial with the controller and I have to say it felt better then m+kb in all regards except the crossbow. Walking slowly, and climbing and sliding while sprinting too all felt more comfortable using the controller. Maybe I’ll continue and hope I don’t need to shoot the crossbow much :-)

Did anyone find hard too punishing? What difficulty did you play and did it feel about right?

Man, playing low chaos as Emily, I’m finding this game really difficult even on easy.

I am playing low chaos Corvo, on easy, its not too bad once you get blink. Does Emily have a blink equivalent?

There is, but it doesn’t pause/slow down as you aim, and (at least on a controller) seems much more twitchy when aiming. I don’t know how many times I’ve tried to get on top of a book case using it, only to slam into the side, shattering glass and drawing guards from everywhere.

Not sure who I should play. PC Gamer had a brief how to choose article. I think I’d prefer Corvo’s blink. I usually try to be as stealthy as possible, but resort to killing when it all goes to pieces.

I’m not very far, but I started with Corvo and I’m just killing everyone who looks at me funny. I’ve made him the living embodiment of dadrage and it works for me.

Did you keep objective location markers on or turn them off? I always find it weird to know some of the information, like a target who is moving around. Some things make sense though, like Corvo knowing where the throne room and safe room are.

The way I approached it - I already played Corvo in D1. Change it up!

Wow these levels seem big. A general question…

I’m still on the first general mission - get to the boat. To do that you need to traverse through a large section of the city. It’s difficult to tell what building you can get into to get stuff unless to go near the door to see if it opens. If someone is trying to be relatively complete to find some goodies, do I need to make sure I check out every door on the first pass, or does the game have you go through the same area multiple times for different quests?

You’ll have to do it all at once to be a completionist, you don’t get to come back (not in the manner you’re thinking at least). I highly recommend not worrying too much about it, especially in that first level before you get access to powers and such. I focused on runes and bone charms, and any paintings or money I found was gravy.

So in general you picked out a path to get to your target location and explored along that path? I can’t remember from the first game - there was something like a heartbeat meter that let you know you were close to a bone charm. I’m guessing this is reintroduced at some point? So did you just go after bone charms that were on your chosen path, but you didn’t explore the entire level looking for bone charms? I guess that is probably the way I would enjoy playing the most, but I get worried about missing useful stuff. I don’t want to get Ubi-itis and start going after too much stuff so the game becomes a drag. So far I’m very happy with what I see.

The first level isn’t very indicative of how the game plays over all - just get to the boat, collecting as much money (and I think there are a few paintings - worth 200 coin each) as you can, but don’t fret over not finding everything. After the first level you get the heart you are remembering - it let’s you see where and distance runes/charms are in the level, and mark one so you can “see” it even without the heart equipped. Once I had the heart, I simply marked the closest charm or rune to my location and made my way to it. I tried to explore each level fairly thorougly in that way, reading documents and letters, and trying to get as much as I could out of a mission, but don’t worry about grabbing 100% of things. Hell, even runes by the end of the game I had enough I was just playing with other powers because I’d long since maxed out the ones I was really curious about. Note that if you invest in bone charm crafting (which I recommend) the last upgrade allows you to craft runes, and while it costs 4 runes to gain that power, you’ll end up crafting twice that at least if you want, maybe more.

Finished the game, thought it was great. I played on hard with a high chaos Corvo and it was pretty much easy mode. Anytime I had to reload I just tossed a grenade the next time and problem solved.

I worked with bone charms a tiny bit but by the mid point I just gave up on them as totally unnecessary for this play through. Same with runes. The only upgrade I really used was the teleport freeze time. That was crazy powerful and made the rest a breeze. The actual stop time rune path I never used much.

That maybe sounds like I was kind of bored but nothing could have been further from the truth. It’s just things are so much easier when you don’t mind killing everybody and using explosives. I am guessing another play through without murdering anybody would be considerably harder.

I played Emily as low chaos on Hard, shooting for shadow / ghost / never detected / whatever-they-call-it, though I didn’t always succeed. It wasn’t bad. The only difference between hard and normal is how much more time you spend looking at a loading screen.

I’m just starting mission 4 and came to the conclusion that I’m not very good at stealth :-)

I left a trail of unconscious bodies in chapter 3. It just seemed so much easier to knock people out then to leave them conscious - especially if I wanted to take some of the loot. For the life of me I couldn’t find one of the runes in that chapter and finally gave up. I also missed all of the blueprints and a bunch of money. So, I can’t say I’m a top Dishonored player, that’s for sure!

It’s a good game. The environments seem to give the player choices on how to proceed. I like blinking around. When the shit hits the fan I usually stand, parry and go for the knockout since I can be aggressive that way and still get the low chaos ending.

Anyone playe both this and Battlefield 1? What would you reccomend? I only have the budget for 1.

There sure are a lot of men in the world of Dishonored pining over a kiss. I’m not sure what they like more, ksises or alarm clocks.

I just started chapter 6 and I think I’m about ready for the end, so I may turn it down to easy. My style has been nonlethal assault. I started stealthy, but then I couldn’t always explore where I wanted to. This is a well done Dishonored game, so I’m not sure why my interest is tapering off. I think the big levels are both a boon and a curse to me, and as I said I don’t have any complaints about them. I think it’s probably that I have less and less patience - definitely as case of “it’s not you, it’s me”.

My go to skills are blink, timestop and dark sight. Timestop is pretty fun to pull out a free pass.