Dishonored 2 - Nov 2016

You still have quite a ways to go including the best mission in the game. Don’t stop.

My favorite moment of the game so far was opening the logic puzzle door in chapter 6. Man that felt good. The first time I made a mistake and had to start from scratch again, but got it the second time.

Wow, chapter 7 was different and imaginative. That was such a cool idea.

I just finished my game as Corvo with the low chaos ending. After enjoying myself in the beginning, and ready for it to end in the middle, it finished strong. Abandoning my attempt to be very stealthy and taking a nonlethal assault approach worked better for me. I always feel like I’m copping out if I don’t stealth a stealth game.

In the 9th chapter I finally realized there were more upgrades that you can do at the black market. I never noticed the multiple pages of upgrades. Now that I realized it I have a vague recollection someone else here already mentioned they did the same thing.

Blink and timestop were my main gotos. I also made some use of the darkvision, but that was pretty much it. I usually used what money I had to replenish my potions and restock my sleep darts. Since I didn’t get much money in the 2nd half of the game, and skipped many ruins - it doesn’t appear that you really need to focus too much on that stuff to finish the game on normal. It is probably a good thing I started out trying to collect money and stuff, otherwise I may of had a tough time.

I liked the song at the end credits too. I guess I’m not patient enough be to super stealthy. It did seem like the enemies could notice you fairly quickly. The stealth didn’t feel as great as in Metal Gear Solid: The Phantom Pain.

All in all a sold game for Dishonored 2. Not GOTY for me, but solid.

Dishonored 2, only $20! But only for US and physical edition.

PC Gamer chose this as their overall game of the year for 2016.

[quote]
Arkane are creating a design legacy worthy of Looking Glass or Ion Storm—appropriate, given that they’re doing more than any other studio to carry the legacy of Thief and System Shock into the modern era. Yet for all that Dishonored 2 owes to the PC’s long history of superlative stealth sims, it’s also a true original. Its fantastic movement systems and dynamic violence can trace their lineage back to Arkane’s underrated Errol Flynn-em-up Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, while its artistic direction ignores games entirely and looks to traditional art and real history. I suspect that I’d love this game for its sense of place even if I didn’t also love it for the freedom it gives me to approach encounters in my own way.[/quote]

Wow, that’s a really enticing comparison. I loved Dark Messiah of Might & Magic. Now that I think back to Tom’s stream of Dishonored 2, I can see the comparison clear as day.

Another patch, another new Nvidia driver. Still a stuttering mess unable to maintain a solid smooth experience above 30fps, regardless of settings.

Dishonored 2 failed to make the NPD top 10 for November.

That sucks. Especially since it came out in early November. Even the Skyrim remaster’s disc version made the Top 10 and was ahead of Dishonored 2.

So this STILL has performance issues? I guess Ill be aware of that in case it is discounted in the christmass sale.

Depends on two things - your hardware, and what settings you pick. With 2500K/1070 I was able to get 60fps 99% of the time at mix of high/ultra settings.

Yeah if you have a 10 series Nvidia card, you’ll probably be okay. The ‘recommended spec’ is ridiculously high for what the game is doing:

• Intel Core i7-4770/AMD FX-8350 or better
  • 16 GB RAM
  • NVIDIA GTX 1060

I ‘only’ have a 980ti and an i5 4670 so I’m stuck suffering the bad frame pacing. :P

I do get 60fps 99% of the time as well (higher if I didn’t have to lock it down), which just shows how false a metric it is - as it’s a shame those 60 frames are not consistently unique frames.

Playing Phantom Pain straight after playing Dishonored 2, which is also locked at 60fps, is so much smoother an experience. Or Titanfall 2, or Doom, or The Division, or Shadow Warrior 2, or any number of games using half decent engines. :)

16 gigs of ram? I have 12 gigs…

I rarely post here, but I read this forum quite a bit. I felt compelled to write this because I wanted to share my impressions here. In short: the world need more games like this! I think the criticisms levelled at PC performance have really overshadowed what an incredible feat the developers have pulled off here, particularly with respect to environment design.

I find myself fascinated by the “steam-punk” flavour of the world. If you dig that and appreciate coherency in your environment design, be prepared to be astounded here.

I’ve been playing PC games for 20+ years now and feel like I rarely see or experience something new and exciting anymore. I just finished the “clockwork mansion” mission and I was completely blown away. The entire level is so intricately detailed, I’ve never seen anything like it. There is one area in particular that is absolutely mind blowing. You’ll know it when you see it. I can’t begin to imagine how much design effort went into creating that. For some reference without giving away too much, the level is a mansion designed by an eccentric inventor. Full of switches and levers that move walls and floors around, it’s meant to be a bit of a puzzle. But not a developer contrived, gamey puzzle. Rather one designed by the character who owns the place. The amazing part is if/when you find away to “get behind the curtain” you’ll find that rigging for all of it. The gears, pulleys, cables etc that make it all work were all painstakingly designed by Arkane.

The other levels have been great too, but so far that one in particular was a big standout. I haven’t finished the game yet so I’m hoping for more like that.

I was a big fan of the original and played that through the completion. I’m playing this sequel on hard and I find it quite a bit harder than the 1st one! Reloads are frequent. I like the challenge, but appreciate that not everyone would…

If you appreciate the sense of discovery that comes from navigating the environment, I would very highly recommend turning OFF the objective markers. There are sufficient clues located within the each level (both audible and via notes left around) to point you in the direction you need to go. In my opinion it adds a ton to the immersion factor to use clues in the environment itself to get around.

Performance has been OK. Certainly not amazing. I think my rig is what you would consider low-mid range at this point. I have an overclocked i2500K with 8GB ram and an R280X 3GB video card. I’m playing the game on with a mix of medium/high settings and the frame rate is usually around 30, but can dip sometimes for really complex scenes. I don’t mind so much, the game pacing doesn’t require a super high frame rate in my opinion.

The insane thing about Clockwork Mansion is that it isn’t even the best level in the game.

Yes the engineering ingenuity and raw talent at Arkane is something to behold. I am so glad we are getting another game from them next year, albeit from second team. I don’t doubt it will be special too.

And you are right about the markers. Objective markers, heart markers, information messages - I had to turn all that off, and I am sad it is enabled by default. It is like the point of interest markers in Witcher 3, it actively hurts the immersion and experience, but developers are afraid to disable it (I get why, but still).

It’s a hard balance. What I wish is that there was a setting that had markers for things your character would know, and then there were realistic directions for things your character shouldn’t know - like you’ll have to go past the red barn and turn left where the big oak tree is.

Well shoot.I was trying to be so careful and not kill anyone on my playthrough, but somehow there was a casualty on mission 6. Since I’m not going to go back and replay all of that right now, I might as well loosen up my standards some and be willing to let a little blood spill.

Okay, mission 7 is genuinely really cool. I’m not finished yet, but no doubt it’s one of the more memorable parts of a game I’ve played this year.

I wasn’t wild about the ending itself, but the last half of this game was fantastic. One of the best I played this year, and I’m glad I stuck with it.