Dishonored 2 - Nov 2016

Finished mission 4, and I have to say that the Clockwork Mansion has some of the best level design I have ever experienced in a game.

I wish I could play like this, I have like zero such skills.

He blew like three pots in the first 60 seconds, which is anathema to my playstyle. I generally let my mana regenerate before using a second power.

Decided I needed to support Arkane after I heard Prey wasn’t selling gangbusters style, so picked this up. Very nice so far. I’m bad at it because I have no sense of direction, but the style is completely selling it to me.

That is crazy gameplay. It is amazing to watch but intimidating all the same because I know there is no way in he’ll I could ever pull of half the stuff he does.

Not only is that beyond me, it’s beyond my ability to tell what’s going on :/

Just got through Stilton’s Manor. Goodness me.

And done :)

I wish there were more ways to trigger the more optimistic ending (which I haven’t seen). The special actions seem like they should do that but I think mine were outweighed by a few acts of legitimate self defense :/

After upgrading possession and really learning how to chain it , I finished up The Royal Conservatory level, and it was so good.

Onward to Stilton’s Manor, where @Alistair was a few days ago.

Wave if you see me!

Daud!

I am VERY excited about this.

It is literally exactly what I hoped Arkane would do after D2, the moment I discovered who Meagan Foster was I knew I wanted to play as her and Daud. And the fact that they are making it standalone and as one release instead of split into two like in original Dishonored is great.

I hope they really delve into the history of the outsider in this game. I know they did a brief synopsis of it in D2, but I want a lot more detail.

Excited, but this reminded me of my two pet peeves from Dishonored 2 - they retconned Billy to a black woman, and the new voice actor for the Outsider is vastly inferior to the original.

Billie looks quite black to me here:

And I like both Outsiders equally, although I would prefer if they kept original.

I watched my friend stream this on highest difficulty and one thing that immediately caught my attention was just how far and wide the enemy vision cones seemed to be. Now I can’t tell for sure because stream is after all a stream but it seemed like the enemies could spot him from about 25m away at 70 degree angle, easily. Seemed a bit excessive for a stealth game.

Co-creative director of Dishonored series and Prey leaving…

I’m finally playing Dishonored 2!

Some first impressions after playing for 4.5 hours or so.

-The engine was a mistake. Not only the performance isn’t as it should (and I have now a gtx 1080!), I can’t get clean visuals even if my life depended on it. It’s a very jaggy game, and it detracts from the otherwise good art. The railings, balconies, wires, the wall decorations, it’s all a pixelated shimmering mess. Downsampling from 1600p, txaa with maximum value? Still not really clean, it just looks -decent- at that point.

-I like the game, but I still feel like it plays very much like Dishonored 1, it seems a conservative sequel in that regard. And yes, I’m playing with Emily. In fact that’s one of the points I think it could have been done better, if you offer a second playable character as your main new feature, make it play very differently. When it’s all said and done, she plays in almost the same style, with the same knife/pistol/crossbow/grenades and the same signature mobility power (a blink with a different skin). There are some powers and upgrades that are more different, but still I don’t think they went far enough with differentiating them.

-There are two ways of playing, generally speaking, action and stealth. But the game really doesn’t work in ‘action mode’, imo. Simply because if you explore as you should find enough pistol ammo, bolts, grenades, health injections, etc to blow away all the opposition in a trivial way. It’s very empowering but after a while I started thinking it lacked challenge.

-The lack of spacious inventory (or any real inventory for that matter) is very irritating. You find a place with 6-7 fruits, and you have to remember where it is, to come back and recover health there because you can take them with you. Same with things you can pick up too, because the inventory limits are pretty low (even after some ugpraded). I prefer the method used by Prey of having a super big inventory where you can take with out 40 foods and 25 grenades without problem, and to hell with realism.

-Speaking of Prey… In general terms, I have to confess I liked Prey more, so playing this after Prey was a mistake.

Something sounds messed up there - I played it on a 1440p display with a 1080gtx and it looked amazing and played at a rock solid 60fps the entire time, on ultra settings. Look up a few posts to see lordkosc’s screenshots, does it not look like that for you?

YMMV but this was specifically what I liked about this one, since I adored the first one. I don’t want it to play differently, that would make it a different game.

You know what, you were right, there was something messed up in my computer. Somehow the game wasn’t down-sampling correctly from some higher-than-native resolution, and I was having worse image quality, instead of better.