Dishonored 2 - Nov 2016

Well, the save games show “low chaos” for my saves so far, and I’ve read that there are different endings depending on whether you go low or high chaos in D2:

It’s because of the darkening of the screen.

and the proportions of the characters to the environment are all different

D1 also had a very clean and minimalist design. D2 has shit everywhere

That’s called the vignette effect, and it’s annoying as hell.

Yes, there’s a Chaos system and killing them does not count against it. I think their bodies count as “found bodies,” though, if you care about that.

I know I’m seeing things.

Note how the guard tower is more squat? Everything in the world is like this.

The long armed caricature has also been toned right down.

The entire world is less vertical. I think the D2 world might even be more squat than real life, makes it look a bit funny.

You also sprint through the world super fast in D2. It makes everything feel minaturised. In D1 you ran with a stubby legged gait.

Very soft lighting in D2 also. The first has this sort of stark, brilliant watercolour thing, very good commercial art.

Have you ever have an itch you just can’t quite reach?

Clockwork Mansion. Just got in it, pulled the lever, clockwork soldier.

Holy crap. I know I said I wasn’t going to look at any guides but this guy’s impossible.

Hop up onto the display cases and see if you can try something from up there…

I know, that was where I gave up. Enjoyed everything up until that stupid, shifting mansion. =(

Although - I did manage som weird kind of thing when I got into that mansion. I jumped into a shifty shelf when the floor moved, so no one actually knows I’m in there. I remember reading that you can either choose to let him know you’re there by talking to him (that scientist/proffessor guy, can’t remember his name know), or letting him know you’re there but then go into hiding, but I managed to disappear before him noticing me at all.

Isn’t that mansion hailed as some sort of modern masterpiece of game level design? I can’t comment more because that’s about as far as I got too… :)

Sure, it’s a masterpiece of game level design. But do I enjoy trying to make my way through it? I THINK NOT!
Always find it so mocking with the building map. Like yeah, I could use that map, but the building keeps changing so what use is it.
I think you gotta be a puzzle loving architect with a supernatural sence of coordination to enjoy it. =)

I think the mansion was my favorite level. I didn’t have any problems with it. I used the wall of light to take care of the clockwork soldiers. After that, you can explore in peace for the most part. As far as the shifting, each toggle only shifts between 2 configurations (there might be one with 3 states somewhere). You never needed to puzzle out multiple configurations to proceed. IE: To get past something, you never needed to make sure Alpha was in state 1, while Beta was in state 0.

Death of the Outsider is an excellent standalone expansion. I might even go so far as to say it’s the best expansion for any game I’ve ever played. It feels so close to a complete standalone experience – and one that is complementary to the main storyline. It’s as good as the Half-Life expansions, Opposing Force and Blue Shift.

Taking advantage of the holidays to get some D2 time in (we had a lot of family “stuff” in the last few months so no real gaming time.) In the Dust District. I committed to not look at guides and see how I could do without tips; it’s clear to me that there are quite a few things you’ll never find without specific tips. Just killed Paolo and trying to figure out if I have to carry him all the way to the Overseers; seems like it from the mission description, and sounds like I’ll have to carry him to the head Overseer before they consider me a non-enemy.

Honestly - while the graphics are better in D2, I think I liked D1 better. Maybe because it was all new. But I don’t like having to find a black market to stock up (and even then, there’s no guarantee they’ll have the elixer I’m out of for my powers, for example.) I really don’t like how visibility when crouching is a lot worse. It’s still a really good game, no doubt. But I find myself not really worrying about trying to find every rune (I’ve got my basic powers, and by the time I find enough runes to get some of the powers that require another 4 or 6 runes, without using any guides, I’ll be done!)

With D1 I was disappointed when it was done. I felt the same way about the Bioshock series (I even liked Infinite, LOL!) With D2 I just don’t feel as invested in the story, and I’m looking forward to finishing and starting Horizon Zero Dawn and Yakuza 0. ;)

Maybe I take back what I said about being ready for it to end. Finished Stilton Mansion (is that the name?) with the time tool. I was really thrown off when I first looked through it, and thought crap, this is going to be awful.

Instead it was one of the most creative levels of any game I’ve played. And it really did give me the feeling that I could play the level in any way I wanted, that they would reward my creativity. That’s my Gold award for an open world type game (and D2 is not an open world game, but rather a linear scripted game with a lot of options.)

How many people here play these without referring to any kind of guide or strat and tips page? I decided to try D2 this way, and I KNOW I am missing a ton (because after I finish a level I will look at a strat site and see that if I walked down some random back alley and jumped into some hole I never saw and then pushed something to the side and looked in a tiny window and then shot something in that room and then go back to where I was 20 minutes ago I could then go in somewhere and find a rune or blueprint.)

I’ve not really done much at all with bonecrafting. I suppose I’d need to gather a lot of those for it to be worthwhile because now it seems even with crafting one with 3 attributes it’s only adding a slight this or that.

As for runes, I miss a lot of them, but I don’t feel the need for more powers. Corvo low chaos, I mainly use Blink (duh) and Dark Vision (though that’s less useful by far, IMO, than it was in D1) and though I have the slow time power I just don’t use it much.

I played the demo for about an hour and decided I still wasn’t ready to come back to this series.

I don’t use guides. I’d rather miss content / items. There is a game occasionally where I can’t figure out how to progress if I don’t check a guide, so I’ll do so - but I don’t use one to 100% a game or anything.

Yeah, I’ve never used a guide for any game. If I get stuck in something linear I do google it.

Finished D2. I cheated and used a guide for the last mission in neutralizing Delilah, I’d have NEVER found her where she was without a guide telling me where to go (as in the non-clone location ).

I enjoyed D2 though I have to say the actual story felt a lot thinner than D1. It felt like it was a lot more focused on being clever with levels than unfolding a deep story. When I released Emily it just felt like oh yeah, gotta do that to end the mission (vs say the epic flood of emotion when I found Ciri in Witcher 3.)

Still i enjoyed it enough I’ve started Death of the Outsider which feels very different, at least in the very beginning.

You can kill / subdue the clones and keep going until you find the real one.

Yeah, I figured that was the default approach, eliminating the clones until you find her. What I would have never found without a guide is where to find her standing all by herself with no clones around and facing away and thus easily subdued.