Dishonored, the new IP from Arkane Studios

Dishonored is one of the best games of the last generation, it deserves to be updated to XBone/PS4, so it will be playable on consoles into the future. If you haven’t played it yet and have a current-gen console, you should pick it up. I can near-guarantee it will be better than whatever else you’re playing.

Hey, it was a cool game, but I suspect those that wanted to play it, already have!

It’s 3 years old now, and lots of kids are growing up and getting their first consoles. If it hadn’t come to current consoles, it would be essentially lost. I’m all for these remasters, particularly now that both current-gen consoles are using PC-standard architectures and likely to be fully backwards compatible in the future.

I suppose the market is people who heard speaking well about it in the last years but never got around to buy it.

Does this update affect the PC version at all? I don’t believe it does, but I wanted to double check! I don’t have it installed so I’m not aware of any patches or updates.

Nah, I think it just brings the console versions up to PC standards and includes the DLC.

Nope. PC stays the same.

The Definitive Addition doesn’t really add anything new. It just bundles up all the DLC. On the PS4, they made it so the whispers stuff comes out of the speaker on the controller. That’s it. It’s even still 30fps on both consoles.

I suppose it’s at least better resolution?

And that’s a pretty cool addition indeed.

Yes. With the possible exception of the Saints Row 4 new-gen updated version. They’re both so damn good.

Well I bought it this week since never played…

There’s apparently quite a bit of screen tearing and framerate drops in the XBOX One version of the definitive edition. It also lacks AF.

http://xboxclips.com/SimpleCRIPPLE/1c9a6fbe-7bbb-46dd-8be6-35d304bf817e

It came out close enough to the new console release, that I skipped the initial run. I’ll be picking this up.

It’s a wonderful game. I never finished the 360 version, so I’m kind of bummed they didn’t implement a way to transfer your saved games like they did with Borderlands.

bump

Seeing how the sequel is set to come out this year, I decided to finally pull this out of my gaming backlog - and did so over the holidays. Really enjoyed Dishonored.

The controls are nicely done and worked well for 95% of the time. It got only occasionally annoying when I approached enemies from behind to (non-lethally) neutralize them and my character didn’t properly snap to the other guy and did a block move instead of the grab - and sometimes that one miss is enough to be detected due to the enemy turning. If you intend to ghost around, that can be a bit frustrating.

I dug the art direction and the variety of environments Dunwall threw at me, e.g. standard city districts, the flooded district, the tower, and ruin that is Daud’s HQ. I’m really looking forward to exploring whatever locations they’re going to come up with in the sequel.

I’m a bit torn about the chaos concept. On the one hand it was a nice way of affecting the game world and a better approach to determine the ending than, well, a single decision you have to make right before the ending (see Deus Ex). It also makes sense to throw more enemies towards the players who want to kill as many as possible. On the other hand it kept me from doing the fight/action approach since I didn’t want a dark ending. Since I went for the ghost/low chaos approach, I also hit the ceiling pretty quickly with regards to the powers since something like Shadow Kill would only be interesting if it kept the chaos level low (no body, no detection,no rat fodder) - alas it doesn’t. High chaos players seem to get more out of the game since they can benefit from all stealth powers (e.g. bend time, blink, vitality) whereas low chaos players have no or less use for Shadow Kill, Bood Thirst, or Rat Swarm, at least when you really want to be as non-lethal as possible. I hope Dishonored 2 has more powers or upgrade levels beyond 2. The DLC addressed this somewhat by introducing stun mines and letting me upgrade the sleep dart capacity.

I can see that stealth purists might not like the magic elements and think that powers like Blink make it too easy, but I simply loved quickly traversing through levels and combining some of them whenever it was handy. Corvo’s gloves work as a replacement for Thief’s stealth gem, and I’m really fine with them not fully aping Thief in that Corvo would NOT be invisible even at close distance just because he’s in a dark spot.

The story probably wasn’t the game’s strongest point. I liked all the world building that was done through side quests, books, and notes. I got a good idea of how this world works and what factions there are in the city. The main plot, however, was utterly predictable. It’s an old game story trope that the fellas you side with initially turn out to be at least as evil as the people you battle early in. And so I did all the heavy lifting for their uprising while they chill out at the Hounds Pit and even let ME pay for the equipment required for that. And knowing that you’re being crossed without being able to do something about it is a bit annoying. Wish they had implement some decision earlier in the game where you can choose to trust or distrust them, the latter resulting in Corvo setting up a secret stash of equipment that later turns out to be helpful once they turn on me. (The same way the woman set up a hideout as she expected she’d need it in case the place got attacked.) The Outsider was also left a bit too vague for my taste - and I really did read every bit of lore the game world offered.

To me the game really is missing a New Game+ so that I can also check out the early levels with a powered character just for shits’n giggles. Thankfully, there are ways to still play it that way on PC.

It’s a great game. I have a mountain of backlog, but I am really, really tempted to play through Dishonored again. I have not tried high chaos.

Ah, Dishonored, how I love you. Steam says I played it for 240 hours. 240 freaking hours. The sequel can only disappoint.

Launch date announced for Dishonored 2: November 11th.

Quick question. I just got the Definitive Edition for PS4. What difficulty is appropriate for a first playthrough?

Depends entirely on your own skill - are you pretty good at FPS games with a controller? Are you good at stealth games?