Disney Buys LucasFilm

Holy Shit.

Unfortunately, this obviously means more Star Wars movies.

More cutesy Star Wars cartoons. Barf.

Any kind of article on this, or did the voices tell you about it?

Disney says it is buying ‘Star Wars’ maker Lucasfilm for $4.05 billion from George Lucas

Already been years of collaboration. Looks like George cashed out.

Verified by Disney corp.

Be interesting to see how Marvel and Lucas properties cross over, if at all.

STAR WARS: EPISODE 7 feature film targeted for release in 2015.

A start wars without george at them helm. hmm.

[CENTER]Lucasfilm to join company’s global portfolio of world class brands including Disney, ESPN, Pixar, Marvel and ABC.[/CENTER]
[CENTER]STAR WARS: EPISODE 7 feature film targeted for release in 2015.[/CENTER]

Oh my.

Disney bought it cheap in my opinion. I wonder if there’s some way they could get the Pixar guys to do the stories and writing for the new movies. Then make the movies blending live action, traditional animation, and CGI for the post Lucas era.

Not surprising.

Edit: Oh, hell. Episode 7???

I look forward to a Joss Whedon helmed Episode 7.

Luke and Leia’s kids, Shia LaBoufe and Miley Ray Cyrus.

It’s as if millions of Star Wars fans suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

Haha, I read this (incorrectly) as no more movies, which is obviously bullshit; they are going to milk this cow hard.

Keep in mind that this puts Star Wars in the same house as Marvel, which has been executing pretty flawlessly the last 3-4 years. They have a grand strategy that seems pretty awesome, and Marvel going to Disney didn’t mean that those movies were kiddie fodder.

Yeah, I’m going to go out on a limb now and say that Episode VII will be better than any of the prequels.

Exactly.

This thread is like a rabid kitten chewing on my leg. Do I kick it, pet it, love it, hate it, WHAT?

I’m going to stick with the old standby: Fuck kitte . . . er, Star Wars.

I definitely trust Disney to do a better job of maintaining quality of the franchise than Lucas. If there’s one area that Disney excels at, it’s brand management.

One thing to consider: Disney needs a property that can help them combat Harry Potter land when it opens at USH in 2015. I wonder if this means a full Star Wars makeover for Tomorrowland?

Sure, but with that increased attention to brand you also get a chilling effect on experimentation. I’ll call it the Samuel Adams Effect. Where any company, once large enough, can produce a competent version of anything but not an exceptional version.