Disney Buys LucasFilm

Lens flare!

Well, good or bad it will probably be action packed.

Just wait for it here.

There’s going to be some sneakin’ involved. JJ loves him some sneakin’ around.

Pre-empted.

“Argo” director Ben Affleck was also in contention, another individual with knowledge of the talks told TheWrap.

He likes the JJ or he gets the Affleck.

Sounds like pure speculation, honestly. Abrahms, a month or two ago, said he turned down the Episode 7 job already because he didn’t think he could do it justice.

Sweet!

Variety is reporting it on the front page of their site. If it wasn’t true, Bad Robot would have that taken down immediately.

If true sounds like Abrams ego going full bore. He’s puts Star Trek back on the popular culture map now he thinks he can resurrect Star Wars.

Enterprise dude. Lasers can’t even penetrate their navigational deflector. ;)

Feels transgressive somehow. I don’t think JJ Abrams should direct both Trek and Star Wars for the same reason the Secret Service won’t let the President, Vice President and Speaker of the House be in the same place at the same time.

Or maybe it’s like a media monopoly in a certain market. Maybe we should get Federal Regulators look into whether one man should be allowed control of both Star Wars and Star Trek.

If you’ve listened to the commentary track on Star Trek, Abrams talks about how he tried to make it more like Star Wars (I think pretty successfully) in almost every scene.

I think we could do far worse than a proper JJ Abrams Star Wars movie.

Or he was asked to do it, and love the idea and agreed?

Anyways- One thing most JJ Abrams movies and shows has in common is Timetravel…so it’ll be interesting to see whether we’ll see jedi timetravelling tricks now!

I look forward to seeing it - It would have been better with Wheedon, but Abrams is not a bad cast either.

Well I’m with the previous post that I’d rather not have one director style for both series. There are several quality directors that could do a good SW movie IMO.

If ever there was a need for a like button…

I actually liked the new Star Trek movie well enough, but I don’t think there’s any question that Abrams is better suited to Star Wars.

I like this choice. Abrams has a very strong perspective an viewpoint. I was worried they would get some junior guy who Lucas would control from the outside. Abrams has (arguably) made the best Star Wars movie in 30 years (Star Trek) already anyway. Plus he is very respectful to the past while looking forward. Just one thing:

NO FCKING TIME FCKING TRAVEL

Heh, he even had timetravel and witches in the teenage series Felicity for gods sake :-D

My only thing is that Abrams wsa kind of obvious. Not that he’s a bad choice, but I think part of what made Empire so good was getting a director you never would have associated with Star Wars in a million years. He could see the human drama and focus on that without getting too swept up in the sci fi distractions (while still getting the sci fi distractions down well).

What worked for me with Skyfall was sort of the same thing. Mendes and Deakins, not obvious choices for the Bond franchise, knocked it out of the park. Was curious to see what would happen with a less expected director.

Granted, make the wrong pick and you get Quantum of Solace so I get the risk… and maybe the safe choice is good to get things off the ground again.

Green screen!! I knew it! What else are you hiding from us, Obama??