Disney Buys LucasFilm

These are the nerdiest lists ever compiled.

I liked the Abrams Star Trek more than most of the Trek movies, except for Wrath of Khan. I don’t think Treks IV and VI, which people seem to like, hold up very well at all any more. I don’t think I’ve even seen most of the ST:TNG ones.

There are only 2 good Star Wars movies (Eps IV and V, with V being WAY ahead of the others), so Abrams only has to make a movie that’s better than Jedi and the prequels and the franchise will be fine.

Oh, yea, i was thinking the same as i wrote it :).

And i like Ewoks :/.

Well not being in the usa we are normally behind the curve, so i’ve only seen the one new Star Trek (had the guy from the tv series Heroes in it as Spock), i can’t even remember it’s name, it was that forgettable! You might have had another one out in the usa since then? I know we have one upcoming to the cinema soon here, but it might be number two or three?

As you may tell my experience on the first new Star Trek (JJ Abrams) has not made me go out and want to do my homework on the next(s?). He won’t kill Star Wars worse than Lucas already did with episodes I-III, but i seriously doubt they will ever get back to the actual greatness that the original Star Wars films are. It’s all ‘lite’ dumb and full of massive explosions and adrenaline pace from now on. You don’t need story when that will do…humbug.

Yeah, the 2nd JJ Abrams Star Trek movie has not come out yet.

I bet they reboot the franchise - they can have future Luke come back in time and kill Obi-Wan before he trains Anakin, thereby splintering a new universe where all the old characters are alive again (except Obi-Wan) and things play out differently.

No Gasper Noe? Fuck Star Wars.

Actually this is a fine, predictable choice. His Star Wars movie will, in all likelihood, be better than the prequels. But it’s also a dull, safe choice, which may lead to a movie even more forgettable than the prequels. Not really a great way to jumpstart the new trilogy, but it’s also unlikely to stunt it by being terrible.

Why can’t he partner up with Whedon and make this? If anyone today is close to delivering the type of dialogue and humour Ep. IV-VI has, its Josh Whedon.

You mean the same Whedon that has a thread around here asking if it was an april fools joke he was directing Avengers? My how the opinions shift. Anyway, Whedon is busy on Disney’s other male franchise printing 4 color money with Tony Stark and Steve Rogers.

Why does what someone else wrote here invalidate what I write? I didnt see the sign saying we all have the same opinion here

Yet another thing Lucas set up on a tee and then missed the swing on.

Sigh.

Goddamn midichlorians.

I’ll admit I thought Whedon would be a bad fit for Avengers. He always struck me as a dialogue guy who was kind of soft on the action cred. Avengers didn’t give me any of that vibe.

I also think he’d probably do good plot/dialogue for Star Wars. That’s not to say JJA won’t, tho.

http://m.deadline.com/2013/02/disney-to-release-additional-films-based-on-star-wars-characters/

Disney says they will be releasing standalone/spinoff Star Wars films as well as the main sets.

I’m throwing my lot in for a Cantina Band mockumentary ala Spinal Tap. I’m sure Rob Reiner is free.

I vote for Han and Chewie: the early years or a Bobba Fett movie.

I realize its not cool to be excited on the internet, but am I the only who thinks this is pretty damn awesome? I mean, not only do we get three more Star Wars movies, but we also get two spinoff movies!

There has always been great storytelling potential in the StarWars universe and if they can tap into this, with Lawrence Kazdahn at the helm it should be good times to be Starwars fans!

No, it is awesome. I’m just guarded about it. While I’m not a huge Lucas fan any more, these movies have the potential to be mega-budget fan films or the equivalent of Star Wars Karaoke. I’m sure how to explain it, but it feels a bit like my favorite band is releasing a new album, but with no original member. Like if Pete Townsend and Roger Daltry were gone, and Zak Starkey decided to continue playing as The Who and making albums.

I would be more excited if they went balls to the wall and said they were “re imagining” episodes 1-3.

I quite like the idea of it, as it will have less likely hood of destroying the original star wars trilogy, maybe? I mean they’d have to do stuff as bad or worse than they did in episodes 1-3 for that (oh look C3PO belonged to Darth Vader etc), which surely can’t be done?

If it gives good writers a chance to explore some of the other characters backgrounds then it should be a good thing overall. It will need really good writers though, not just fanboys tipping their hat every scene to the original trilogy etc. Less ‘cool’ and more serious about fleshing out the Star Wars universe and it could work really well.

EW is reporting that they have learned which two characters the first two projects will focus on: Boba Fett and a young Han Solo.

Too bad. I was really hoping for a movie based on the Stormtrooper that bumps his head on the doorway.

What about “The Porkins Story”

EW is reporting that they have learned which two characters the first two projects will focus on: Boba Fett and a young Han Solo.

Ugh. This took me from mildly interested to zero in no time at all. One of the reasons the prequels were so horrible were their inability to expand on the original trilogy, and just turned everything into one huge incestuous pile of everyone being connected to everyone.

Han was one of the few characters that escaped that, but now we’re going to get to see the card game where he won the Millennium falcon and every other mildly evocative reference expounded on in tedious money-grubbing detail.

If they’re going to milk existing characters, they should take someone you can’t ruin, and give it to someone who can do something unexpected with it.

Just picture it: JAR-JAR, directed by Tyler Perry.