Disney Buys LucasFilm

Actually, I always liked the ending of Revenge of the Sith with the new Darth Vader walking onto the bridge of the Star Destroyer toward the Emperor, and Tarkin sort of steps back as the two of them look out upon the galaxy. I would like to have seen a story that picked up there. What’s it like being around them, from Tarkin’s point of view? Not a whole lot of, hey did you catch that ballgame last night? I guess more focusing on your rage and all those cool planets you’re about to totally subjugate. Sounds like fun!

I don’t know any of the mentioned ‘New York Times Best Selling Authors’, but i would like to think have proper writers (if that is what they are?) being the basis of the new films might not be a bad idea (looking at the good awful prequel story telling/characters/dialogues etc)?

Yes i’m being hugely optimistic. The force taught me to be so in general.

I don’t know who you are, but give us back Zak within 24 hours or I am calling the police!

If Lucas had been at all smart (ok, extreme counterfactual, but humor me), the prequel trilogy would have involved Darth Vader getting put in the suit at the end of Episode II at the latest. That way you could have an entire movie devoted to him wrecking the shit of the Rebels.

Hmm; the Iron Druid Chronicles are entertaining enough. Definitely not post-kids-Lucas friendly. There’s reason enough for hope.

So, since your hope was presumably gone during the later Lucas years, would you characterize this hope as fresh, or novel, in any way?

Well a good writer is a good writer right? So maybe at least the books of the films for the new Star Wars will be decent enough (in the same way Splinter of the Minds Eye was decent enough). Every storm cloud has a silver lining (i think?).

Fair warning: I am giving into my anger, specifically pertaining to the above. Additionally, it is quite possible that the hate is flowing through me as we speak.

Eh. Personally I grew to dislike Hearne’s books after giving him more of a chance than I should have. He does churn them out at a brisk pace though; probably a good trait in someone they’d want in such a position.

I think you missed the joke in the post above yours (assuming you were replying to it).

It wasn’t specifically in reply to that one, but it included it with the general ones on the novels etc. If the script is well written that is part of the battle to see good new Star Wars.

I missed that.

The fuck?

Seriously, not having to worry about 100% cannon compliance is a great thing, especially for games. Unreliable narrator is a very useful tool.
Moreover, really, tinkering with the era of the old properties? With cannon material? Uh-oh.

(I tend to get amused by authors who get wound up about cannon… authors who don’t include KenMcLeod (The fourth book of his Fall Revolution Series, The Sky Road, while it’s own story, is an ‘alternate future’ to books 2/3) and David Weber (in the War God series, the Sword Brother novella…well, let’s just say it happened, but the Universe is explicitly a multiverse and it’s NOT the main setting universe ^^)

I…hm. Oh, I did. I blame dyslexia.

Please, I don’t pick on non-native speakers for picayune typos like that.

Be careful, those star wars cannons can be real ball-breakers, I have heard:

Today marks the end of the EU. Star Wars: Legacy Vol. 2 #18, a comic from Dark Horse, is the final EU work being published.

The comic rights revert to Marvel now and all future works will be in canon.

It’s been a fun ride. I read a lot of the books throughout my teenage years and they were always nice beach reading - not particularly deep and the prose was always simple, but entertaining nonetheless. I still cross my fingers that some big nerd millionaire will fund a web series based on the X-Wing novels someday. Those books were always my favorite.

ARISE!!

Figured this was the best place to post the rumor that Kathleen Kennedy is leaving the Star Wars franchise.

Makes sense, considering all the drama with various directors, the fact that Solo basically had to be shot twice and will end up losing tons of money, and in general quality not being great. Momentum for the franchise is waning, and that’s not good for the person at the top.

Lucasfilm needs a Kevin Feige.

And if they’re going to be doing Star Wars Story-type movies, I think they need to move past retreads of known characters and events. Get some new writers and directors, and let them make their own corner of the Star Wars universe!

Well, the rumor is that the Kevin Feige they may get may be Kevin Feige. The other name mentioned is Dave Filoni, who has been behind the animated shows, Clone Wars and Rebels. I’d rather Feige stayed with Marvel. I don’t necessarily think that Kennedy is the problem either.

Maybe what they need is a George Lucas?