Disney pulling movies from Netflix after 2019, new streaming service in 2019

A Cinderella/Dune crossover would be kind of amazing.

Would make for a different take on the Still-Suit scene.

Pumpkin is the mind killer.

Disney CEO Bob Iger confirmed that Marvel and Star Wars will also be pulled from competing services in favor of Disney’s in-house offering.

“It will have the entire output of the studio, animation, live action at Disney, including Pixar, Star Wars and all the Marvel films,” Iger said. The Disney-branded app will also include around four to five original TV series, and the studio will produce three to four TV movies for the direct-to-consumer offering.

Pumpkin spice.

I don’t know that any media company has enough breadth of content for me to subscribe to a streaming service just for their stuff. That’s where Netflix shines because they’ve got a bit of everything.

Now if Disney were to leverage their ownership of ESPN and BAMtech to offer live sports alongside the Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar, etc? That would get interesting.

I think HBO is about as close as you can get for me because they have a large back catalog of high quality TV, regularly produce new high quality stuff, and typically have a bunch of recent movies and older cuts as well. Plus comedy specials, docs, etc if you care about that stuff. Anybody else just doesn’t cut it.

I can imagine Disney having enough if you’re a parent of small children. Otherwise, nope. Even with Star Wars, Marvel and Pixar and ABC, not for me.

Aww, I’ll miss watching Marvel and Star Wars stuff at home. Oh well.

I don’t even think that’s enough for me, unless my kids scream long and loud over the lack of Disney in their lives. Which is certainly a possibility.

This is gonna be so weird. I assume Netflix and the like assume a stable, preferably growing subscription base; once you have it, you’re going to keep it because it’s where content is. Disney, I would think, would fluctuate slightly; subscription when your kids are younger, probably dropping once they reach a certain age.

Granted - that’s a longer view, and streaming services are still “new” enough that perhaps they just want to dive in and get while it’s good, but I do wonder how their business plan accounts for something like that. It’s like long term seasonal business; I expect instead of constantly growing their base, they will assume that it will reach a somewhat steady state, with cancellations balanced by new subs?

I dunno – how many people subscribe to HBO just to get Game of Thrones? If Disney does a high-quality Star Wars original series and, say, an Indiana Jones series, they might pull in a lot of subscribers. They could cherry-pick some Marvel stuff too.

Maybe; GoT captured the public with appointment television that somehow appealed to a broad audience (despite its genre trappings), and because there’s nothing else like it in films or on TV. With Star Wars films hitting theaters on an annual basis, unless the show is insanely good, I can’t see them getting much of a bump from the average consumer. With Indy out of the public eye (barring the terrible movie which doesn’t exist) for so long, unless the next film is a home run, it would face a similar issue.

Unless their monthly price is crazy low, I would certainly never subscribe just for one Disney show, regardless of the IP. But I have long since learned not to predict that the general public would never flock to something I think is terrible or overpriced.

Still though, if it meant that all their classics were available on demand with consistency, and would offset Disney’s bullshit artificial scarcity-generating habit of putting them on the market for a short while then yanking them back off - I’d reconsider.

Ah, come on, you all know you’d subscribe just to watch all of those young Kurt Russell movies!

Or more like Amazon’s system where you can get packages from companies.

Having Netflix and then buying in to a “Disney account” is far preferable to having a Netflix account and a Disney account.

If by “Young Kurt Russell movies” you mean The Thing, Escape from New York and Big Trouble in Little China then … yes. I probably would.

I just realized Defenders (or maybe DD S3) is the last Marvel show we will get out of Netflix. That’s it for those actors, they all have to move on. Disney will certainly recast and get new showrunners for their own in house Marvel live action series. Whatever they are filming right now is it.

I agree HBO is about the only competitor to them. Even Amazon hasn’t had a breakout show yet.

Why? They said Marvel films, not the television properties.