Disney pulling movies from Netflix after 2019, new streaming service in 2019

The Marvel IP is what’s valuable, not the streaming service. If they are trying to attract via exclusivity they will never dilute like that.

Though I just read Marvel Studios and some other companies actually produce for Netflix, Netflix just distributes. So they may just end that deal and keep it all in place for DisFlix, or that big penalty they just paid to Netflix also includes the cancellation of distribution right so its all resolved.

Anyway, we won’t see it on Netflix!

Oh come now, you know you will be watching “The Barefoot Executive” and “The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes.” And who can forget "The Horse in the Gray Flannel Suit’ with not only Kurt, but Dean Jones! Or “The Strongest Man in the World”! Classic Disney live-action movies, all of them!

I wonder if and when the Disney service will be in Canada. HBO Go is still not available.

In any case, Netflix is on fire with their original series these days, they’ll probably expand to a include family programming now. I think it was a bad move - Disney had a way to tell Netflix “don’t worry about kids / family, we’ll take care of you” and now Netflix has a reason to go nuts in the category.

Kids these days just don’t have that much of an attachment to Star Wars or other original IP. “Star Journey” or whatever Netflix comes up with, could be just as good.

Yep, agreed. Kids move on to the next thing very quickly. Hopefully Netflix will ramp up kids shows (Netflix Kids is already outstanding).

Oh, I forgot Tumbleleaf on Amazon. That’s a great kids show.

Speaking of, new Bojack Horseman today!

They already have quite an extensive in house kids library, and they’re adding new Magic School Bus in a few weeks.

They know the score.

Not knowing the price point, I can’t say if this is a good or bad move by Disney. I agree with ShivaX though, they should position it as a drop in channel for Amazon and/or Netflix instead of removing it entirely. Requiring another subscription entirely just means a ton of customers won’t cross the gap. If you allow Disney fans to use an existing service, you save the hard work of development for your own app/infrastructure, and you don’t exclude customers from an easy add-on decision elsewhere.

We’re late into the streaming game. Firing up your own solution at this point is expensive and a potential security or customer nightmare if you fuck it up.

They’ve already developed the app and infrastructure. It’s been running in the UK for the last couple of years.

Didn’t know that at all. What’s the pricing like, Ginger?

£5 a month, apparently.

A fraction of the number that just leach a login from their parents?

The existing shows will continue on Netflix.

I know that Jessica Jones 2, Luke Cage 2, Daredevil 3 and Punisher are all in production right now at Netflix. From what I’ve read, they aren’t moving over.

Younger than that I think. I remember watching a lot of young Kurt Russell movies before any of those came out. Basically light hearted Disney movies.

Ah, here we go, I found a list:

I saw that yesterday, so little information, not even a price.

Disney has enough content that I’ll probably move it into my rotation.

The rotation so far (Only rule is, I can’t ever subscribe to two of these at the same time):

Netflix
Hulu
CBS All Access
HBO Go
Starz Go
Sling TV (for access to ESPN app)
Hulu with Live TV (an alternative to Sling TV, when I need more than ESPN app)

These are free from my public library:
Kanopy
Hoopla
Libby

These are free with ads:

TubiTV
Spotify

Disney+ will be a nice addition to the rotation.

Wonder if that now includes Fox movies.

Seems like there’s a lot more info on the actual conference call, though probably not actual prices. They do say they want to jack up the prices on Hulu. Will let you know if there’s anything juicy.

It’s like they don’t know you don’t actually have to get their content legally or something. I hope they proceed with caution.

Apparently they believe there is price elasticity, especially for multi channel.