Disney Shuts Down LucasArts

Aw. I has a sad.

It’s a fundamentally flawed premise. Zombies pose no particular threat to a society with military-capable droids.

That really depends upon the type of zombies. If we’re talking George Romero “no more room in hell” or Walking Dead zombies where everybody rises when they die, it’s nearly impossible to defend against an outbreak. Anywhere you have multiple people congregating, one of them can die due to a sudden onset medical condition or accident, rise up, and it’s apocalypse time.

Hell is universe-wide and the Empire has faster than light travel, so the infection would quickly spread across the galaxy. The only real defense would be permanent separation from other people. Even if aliens are immune, you couldn’t live on Kashyyyk, because you could break your neck and attack a wookie. Wookies are strong and all, but there must be wookie kids too. They wouldn’t let you stay. Humans would be pariahs on all inhabited alien worlds, because every single one will eventually go zombie and try to eat your face-analogue.

I suppose they could make some sort of AI-enabled collar that detects when you zombify and immediately constricts, cutting off your head. But if it has a malfunction rate of anything whatsoever that might be a tough sell.

Good point. Pretty sure they’ve definitively established that smaller, less advanced forces stand no chance against overwhelming technological force in the Star Wars universe.

Touche.

Anyway come on, you really wouldn’t want to see a bunch of droids tearing through zombies with lasers and stuff? No, don’t answer that, I keep forgetting that everybody but me is pretty tired of zombies by this point.

The thing is, you need cannon fodder. It doesn’t make any sense for intelligent opponents, including not only aliens but droids, to charge into melee rather than shooting their blasters. Before you say it of course jedi/sith will melee but they don’t qualify as cannon fodder. Zombies are perfect cannon fodder. They shamble trying to get into melee range, they’re stupid, they can soak up some damage before dying, and they have no sense of self-preservation. Very cheap AI. That’s why zombies have endured in videogames. Videogames can faithfully represent zombies.

Also when you have a blaster with tons of ammo you can mow them down like a hot knife through butter. Or use a lightsaber, and, well, even more so.

Do blasters have ammo?

Nevermind, don’t answer that. I’m happy not going down that rabbit-hole.

Keep in mind that the “zombies” in Deathtroopers were stuck on a lost Imperial prison barge and a derelict Star Destroyer, so there was no threat to the universe at all. Explained through some typically Star Wars-ian technobabble, the “Blackwing” virus was only active within a certain range of the original outbreak. No, I didn’t really even try to understand it. The book was bad enough that I just wanted to barrel through it.

If you’re really interested in this awful book, there’s also a prequel: Red Harvest. I did not read it. The main baddie in Red Harvest is Darth Scabrous.

Darth Scabrous.

I’d rather have Darth Icky.

I remember thinking Darth Nihil was kind of a silly name. Ah, youth.

Darth Scabrous is much better than Darth Icky!

Yes, blasters use ammo! What kind of crazy fantasy world do you think this is?!

Those are sucky zombies! Why not just you know, blow up the derelict with photon^H^H^H^H^Hroton torpedos from 100 clicks out?

Proton torpedoes. I’m pretty sure Photon Torpedoes haven’t migrated to the Star Wars fiction yet.

That is one impressive geek callout. So far, you win this thread.

I thought Pogue’s very indirect Ewok reference was better.

Does Star Wars really need Zombies? serious question.

Thinking of all the things it has done badly in the poor games of, and the poor prequels. Zombies? Why not Zombie Jar Jar Binks, cloned in their millions. Just don’t ask George Lucas if that is a great idea or not mm…ok?

Presumably, everybody has heard about the Grim Fandango remaster from the Sony Press Conference:

This is the cruelest thing that Disney could have done. Now everybody will be able to hold out hope forever that their favorite Lucasarts game will be re-released.

Grim Fardango was 3D with static background, could benefit from a new engine, perhaps.

But games based on the SCUMM engine? what was the latest of the date of the… https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm the last update of scumm was 8 hours ago*. So if you want to play The Day of Tentacle with a 8 hours old engine, you can.

Everyone that’s not Full Throttle, head to the back of the queue.

Just bumping this because I was curious if you were aware that an indie developer had made a couple Desthtrooper related games?

That probably plays better than the novel read.