Disney World still re-opening - how many will it infect?

Sure, you can be pedantic and say voters get the leadership they deserve. Everyone else gets what the voters choose for them.

But the point still stands - the US is stuck with one of the worst pandemic responses in the world because of bad leadership, chosen by voters that are deliberately uniformed and hyper tribal. The same appears to be the case in Florida. The same is not true of many other democracies, or all US states, so I am skeptical that this outcome is reflective of the system; rather, it seems reflective of the average disposition among the electorate.

This is also not true. In a normal election, nearly half of the voters lose and get something they didn’t vote for. In the most recent election, more than half of the voters got something they didn’t vote for. And this ignores the fact that it is bad actors who bear the responsibility for their bad acts, not always the people who voted for them.

You’re basically arguing that victim got what was coming to them.

No, my view is that the society got what was coming to it.

I also think your characterization of the side of voters that lost as somehow total victims is infantilizing. Politics matters, as does choosing the right candidate, as does compromise, etc etc etc. The left lost to the right, despite Trump being one of the worst people in politics in living memory, maybe ever. For actual policy since, Trump is absolutely the one at most fault in this particular scenario nationally, but that doesn’t mean everyone else besides him, left or right, can just shrug their shoulders and say “I’m a victim.”

But this is getting off topic. Back to my original point, Disney World is probably not Florida’s worst problem now or going forward, although it opening in the middle of a hot spot is emblematic of failed leadership within Florida.

Yeah, never mind. It isn’t worth it.

Theme parks in the Netherlands have been open for a while now, albeit with limited visitors and more space in lines and attractions. So far, that has not resulted in more Covid-cases. Then again, the number of people infected with Covid is quite low at the moment, compared to the US. And of course, there’s a huge difference in scale between Dutch theme parks and Disney…

I wouldn’t risk it, personally. But to be honest, I don’t enjoy theme parks that much anyway…

Worldmeter didn’t list the number of active case for Netherlands, do you what the number is?
So many of these decision depend on how many actives case there are and that information can be hard to find. Florida looks like it about 5,700 cases/million as opposed to about 110/million (but growing) for Hawaii.

The chance that if you have 1,000 person in event in Florida no one will have Covid-19 are less than 1%. That same 1,000 person event in Hawaii there is 89% chance that everyone will be Covid free.

I don’t know how public health official start communicating that do a math illiterate population but it seems important.

Yep that’s where I live, we have a population of 485,000 in the county of Dorset. We had 500,000 visitors. The weather hits the high 20’s and it goes bananas.

Those of us that live here had to pretty much stay away while people from all over visited and behaved in a poor way. Luckily the rain came back after 3 days and everyone disappeared.

The pubs and restaurants open this Saturday. Yep let’s open them on the busiest day of the week a Saturday, not a Tuesday or Wednesday. They are saying they expect 2.5 million people to visit them against a normal July weekend figure of 1.5million.

I shall be hiding out this weekend at home.

Total confirmed cases 50.147, on a population of 17 million. So about half of Florida’s numbers. But consistently dropping. And that’s the total number, I don’t know the current number of active cases. Much lower than 50.147, that’s for sure.

Currently estimated active cases in The Netherlands: 1.715
Daily average of 2,7 people admitted tot the hospital,
Daily average IC admissions: 0

Thanks.

So Netherlands has almost exactly 100 cases per million. My SWAG (scientific wild ass guess) is that a day at an amusement park will put in you within 2-meters for 5+ minutes, with about 1,000 people during the day. If there was heavily enforce social distancing like there is at Costco and rides operate 1/3 capacity, perhaps that number could go down to 100. I think even pre-covid levels that number isn’t like to be more than a few thousand. This would give you 90.4% chance of not encountering a Covid positive person within a day. If every wears a mask the risk decrease by an additional 80% or so.

Which means it is significantly safer to go Disneyland theme park in Japan or China, than a bar or a restaurant in Florida
It really shows how important it is to first drive down the number of active case before allowing any type of activity to take place.

Yeah it’s something that’s been bothering me a bit. All these things about whether X or Y activity is safe, but all the risks scale with the active case numbers.

WTF:

You would think they would be testing employee’s daily. Especially ones who are in contact with the public.

I mean I think they could afford it. Their net income in 2019 was 11.05 billion U.S. dollars.

Yeah but if they do that maybe their net income would be 11.01 billion U.S. dollars.

or if they do that they’ll find they don’t have enough people to work because they’ve all got the virus.

Even if it cost a billion dollars, it is probably cheaper than the lawsuits, or just the damage to the brand for the first headline that reads. “Disneyland, deadliest place on earth”

An update. It’s possible, nay, even likely that Florida’s public health commissioners are full of shit, but the unions at Disney are also on board, so…

The takeaway is probably masks work and being mostly outdoors (w/ social distancing, plus masks) doesn’t hurt.

We’re actually going at the end of this month. We had, of course, always been prepared to cancel the trip - and still are - but the lack of anything turning up, and knowing others that have gone and getting their reports have made us hold firm for the moment. No indoor dining for us, of course - unless it’s in our room with to-go stuff. And yeah - we’ll obviously mask up, and have numerous ones with us. Plus a washer/dryer in the room if needed. Still a little apprehensive, but at this point, are still going.

The bathrooms are what would scare me the most. And accidentally touching my eyes after touching a handrail or something.

Yeah, to me, going to any amusement park would be the same as riding the NYC subway.