Disneyland!

I’m pretty sure most family vacationers’ answer would be that they’d rather get in and deal with the miserable experience versus not getting in at all.

Well, obviously Disney decided they weren’t happy with either of those options.

Instead, they raised prices on their least profitable guest population (the annual passers) to either maintain/increase profits while simultaneously (presumably) maintaining/reducing attendance. I think it’s both a reasonable approach and good business, overall.

I don’t see it that way at all. They are trying to make sure that the people who are investing more money in a Disney visit, which is likely out of town vacationers who spend on plane fare and hotel and so forth, get a good experience. That’s smart business and exactly what I’d want them to do.

Really? Because there’s always Legoland and Knott’s Berry Farm. All right, those aren’t Disneyland but they aren’t crap options either.

The latter, so much the latter. If I told my kids we were going to Disneyland and then got turned away at the gate it would be a flatly ruined vacation. No amount of alternative amusements would stop the tears on that one. I’d boycott Disney parks for life if I went to all the trouble and expense of planning a Disney vacation only to get turned away at the gate.

That annual pass with blackout dates is way more reasonable. That’s the one locals should buy.

My perspective is, if I get into the park and have to wade through huge lines to get onto a few rides that day, I’ve got miserable, crying kids anyway. But with that option, I’ve dropped a load of cash and lost a day. Now, if this raising the ticket price effectively throttles visitors by financial means, I’d probably be up for that. I’d pay more for a more open park that I can get to whatever ride I (or more to the point, my kids) want to go on.

Unless they’re price inelastic, raising ticket prices will always reduce crowding. The degree it reduces it depends on a number of factors, of course.

I’m just not following Rowe’s view that this is “war on the poorer kids”. That implies that Disney is intentional going after the poorer kids. At most, they’re collateral damage in a Disney’s battle to optimize profitability long term and short term. They have to do something about overcrowding. And yes, that something favors those with deeper pockets.

Have you been to Disneyland with kids? Unless they’re teenagers or go there all the time, they get sucked into the machine that is Disney and happily wait in their lines. It’s the parents that have much less tolerance for the lines.

“Let’s go to Knott’s Berry Farm instead” is by far, the less attractive option.

I have not, my kids are still too young to get much out of Disneyland. But I definitely see it happening not too far down the road. As far as what you say about lines, I guess we’ll just have to see. But given my experience with them and lines in general, I’m doubting they would be happy about extended periods in lines, especially during a SoCal summer.

Sorry folks, park’s closed. The moose out front shoulda told ya.

The lines really aren’t that bad. You’ll be entertained by castmembers hawking $7 bottled water and timeshare apartments.

Anyone who would go to Disneyland on a weekend, or in the summer, or on a holiday…is crazy anyway.

Last time I was at DL was the same day that the Rodney King verdict riots broke out. Our family practically had the whole place to ourselves with no waits for any of the rides. We even got to eat lunch at some secluded restaurant near Pirates of the Caribbean that required some sort of secret handshake to get in. Actually I think only a button was pressed to get in. By late in the afternoon you could see smoke rising from the north and by the time we got home all the stations were doing replays of Reginald Denny taking a brick to the head. Fun times for everyone.

I would think that an annual pass is not something that a poor family that is local would buy anyhow. You would go once a year when you know it is not crowded. Eat a breakfast at home and maybe one meal in the park. You do not have to buy park hoppers and such as you could go at separate times of the year one day at a time rather than everything in one week.

If there is a deal to go later in the day after a certain time than you could save even more money as a family.

Now I could understand that teens might want a pass to go a lot with their friends as something to do. My kids used to get annual passes to Great Adventure and hang in the park. They would go early or late in the day and only for a few hours. Go before it got busy and then come home.

Well, Knott’s Berry Farm is pretty ghetto these days. The animatronics on the log ride were very worn down and looked like a bunch of hillbillies on meth. There are some kick ass coasters, though. Xcelerator is nuts (sorry about the tools in the video, but that part at the start where you pop over the top has to be seen).

Both Legoland and Knott’s are much more tween/teen oriented than Disneyland.

Well, fair enough, I haven’t been to Knott’s Berry Farm since the 80s and never been to Legoland. Though I am surprised to hear Legoland leans more to teens and teens based on everything I have heard and read about it.

Well, I don’t have a boy, so maybe that shades my opinion of Legoland. My daughter was seriously bored by the place.

As someone who enjoyed the old 700 dollar pass (valid all year, “free” parking, a blowjob from goofy…) I think that while this directly affects me, it was long overdue. As an annual passholder you learn to tolerate the lines “I guess I’ll go on Space mountain next time I come” but if I’m a family of 4 from New York or something and I’m spending probably over 5000 dollars for my kids to have the Disney experience, it really sucks. I’m all for less congestion.

I had family from Lebanon come to LA for a few days beginning of August. My cousin’s wife couldn’t stop talking about how excited she was to finally go to Disneyland. I think they went on Haunted Mansion, shuffled through crowds for about an hour and a half, and then just left. 300 dollars for two park hoppers for one ride. Felt so bad for them.

I always say you have to pick one: Either affordable tickets or manageable lines.

Here in London we don’t have a DL but there are a few parks around. We used to have an annual pass for all of them. The entire family (wife, 11 and 7 year old and myself) mutually agreed we will never visit any park unless its on a weekday when everyone else is at work / school. The kids hate the lines just as much as me and my wife. We take advantage of Jewish holidays when the kids are off from school, and visit with the rest of the Jewish people (ol’ WD wouldn’t have liked that).
I think most people can get away from work once in a while and take their kids out of school on a weekday. Its another way of paying I suppose (a day off) but you get a worthwhile experience out of it. So I’m all for cheaper date limited local passes, and let visitors pay higher prices for weekends / summer vacations and get their money’s worth out of it.